DVDVR Message Board

RIP Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

nofuture

22 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Shuri is the obvious choice, but I'm already grimacing at the reaction from the worst people.

I think this is what they should/will do but I'm in no rush for them to get started on any of this. I'm still so shocked about Chadwick...   so sad.   For a possible movie, I think they will definitely do some sort of tribute like Furious 7 did for Paul Walker which was honestly one of the more touching things I've seen on screen in a long time.  I was all choked up. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

BP2 should be the last thing on anyone's mind, but I'm guessing the studios have known about his diagnosis for years now.  (Insurance.)

Actually according to the director he said Chadwick had lots of privacy for things he didn't know about while they were filming.  So they didn't know about it either.

25 minutes ago, Eivion said:

If they knew it feels like news of his illness would have gotten out before this.

This is exactly why HIPAA (medical privacy) laws exist here.  If someone would have leaked it, Boseman would probably lose a lot of work.  And then he could have sued the living hell out of anyone who knew for ungodly sums of money.   

(My day job is doing IT for health benefits.  This gets drilled into your head fast.)

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Goddamnit I wasn't prepared for the waterworks to start this early today.  These tributes are incredible and it just really bums me out so much that he's gone.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

24Cover_lores-1599008343-compressed.jpg

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-grapples-with-how-to-proceed-on-black-panther-without-chadwick-boseman

It's a sad read as Chadwick Boseman thought he was going to best the cancer and put on the weight required for Black Panther 2. Kevin Feige received an urgent email about Boseman on the 28th of August and when he read it an hour later, Boseman had passed away. So Feige was only made aware then. Nobody else knew until the sad news broke. Amazing that Chadwick Boseman was able to keep his cancer private without the press finding out and still do the training, movies, see sick kids and press. Incredible human being.

It's not the time for speculating what's next.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 4

Look, that's a nice story and all, but honestly, I'm calling Bravo Fucking Sierra on Fiege not knowing.  He may not have known until after they cast CB, but there is frankly way, WAY too much money involved for this to remain a secret to the people in charge.  I don't think the news went beyond a very small circle of producers who had to know... but you don't just pour a half billion dollars into a movie with a guy you don't know absolutely everything about.  

It's like when Raul Julia was going around saying he was on a macrobiotic watermelon diet and that's why he'd lost so much weight.  

• Like 2

I was just looking at Boseman's wiki page and found out he's from the same town in South Carolina I lived in from 82-86 or so, meaning we would have both been living there at the same time. There's your bit of completely irrelevant trivia for the day.

Edit: I was checking the website for the local newspaper and there are several petitions circling to have the Confederate statue in front of the courthouse replaced with a statue of him. Unlikely, but one can hope https://www.independentmail.com/story/news/2020/08/31/chadwick-boseman-statue-replace-confederate-monument-anderson-sc-change-org-petition/3446174001/

Edited by HumanChessgame
  • Like 4