DVDVR Message Board

Easy Skankin' - SDL - 8/28/2020

Dolfan in NYC

12 hours ago, cubbymark said:

All aboard the Roman Reigns face turn. By turning him, “heel” he’s actually becoming the baby face WWE has wanted him to be.

They could have done this to the same effect four years ago and basked in the success of it since then.

• Like 1

This shift in Roman's character is happening because there's no live audience to overtake it in either direction. That, and Roman likely wanted to do something different on his return. May as well experiment and see where it goes. It's grabbing attention, if nothing else.

I don't think it's a turn. It's more of The Guy tweener persona Roman has tapped into at times over the years. Him beating up Bray and Braun doesn't make for being evil, considering how they've treated Alexa. Roman's fans aren't going to boo him, anyway.

Having Heyman adds ambiguity, but that can be explained as Roman looking out for himself. Making sure he's treated as the superstar he is, getting paid accordingly, etc. It comes across as methodical and smart to how WWE actually works. And they can shift his tendencies depending on who he faces.

Reigns is one of the few characters to whom they can add layers of gray to and it not feel forced. And he's still the main focus of SD. So it's a no-lose situation at the moment.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

They could have done this to the same effect four years ago and basked in the success of it since then.

with all the added juice of Heyman selling Brock out to join Roman, no less.

13 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

with all the added juice of Heyman selling Brock out to join Roman, no less.

They've hinted at that a few times: Heyman doing his introduction bit for Roman, speaking in Samoan while saying he understands how Roman was raised as part of a dominant wrestling family. Heyman has referenced his connection to the Anoa'i family several times when interacting with Reigns.

Unintentionally, they've built a 5-year story arc with Roman and Heyman. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Shorty G v Riddle was a fun match. 

Sasha was coming off as so wooden next to Bayley, then Nia came on the screen and Sasha seemed like Ric Flair in comparison.

That is super brutal on Nia (probably 100% accurate, but still brutal) , but seriously, Riddle vs Gable happened? I may need to watch a rerun in 4 weeks. Probably won't, but that would pretty much do it! Goddammit, Riddle! Seriously. I was ALL IN on the Bro-serWeights, all in, bro! So F-you, a lot for making this awkward!

Whether Roman is a tweener or a Flat out heel, he gets to show the heelish arrogance he brings on interviews and podcasts. That's the Roman that people want, that's the Roman people want to see. He doesn't need a manager but Heyman has a history with his family so it makes sense. Heyman is such a heel, just him being aligned with Roman gives him Heel vibes so that's a plus. I just would rather see him by himself with this attitude.

As far as Braun, he's better as a heel but, if Reigns is going to be a Heel or show heel characteristics then they should've kept Braun as a face for a little while longer. Roman is Brauns best opponent and they work they well against each other .

Bray Wyatt as a Babyface should benefit him by giving him a change. He's never been a face , im not sure if it'll make the Fiend a more tolerable character. I'd expect he'd be a main event version of a Babyface Doink. I'm sure kids and fans that aren't on the internet/wrestling Twitter might not reject him. I'd rather see Roman vs Braun without Fiend involved 

Count me in for not thinking this is a heel turn for Reigns, but this is the character direction I've wanted to see for awhile.

Not going to lie though, his teeth weird me out a little.

Please, please, please let the Heyman thing also be followed up by new music and ring gear for Roman.

I've spoken before about how stale so many acts are in WWE because their look/music/presentation never changes.

Now would be the perfect time to bust out Rikishi's old "Bad Man" theme for an update.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Please, please, please let the Heyman thing also be followed up by new music and ring gear for Roman.

I've spoken before about how stale so many acts are in WWE because their look/music/presentation never changes.

Now would be the perfect time to bust out Rikishi's old "Bad Man" theme for an update.

This is a stoned joke thought.

Use John cena's bad bad man as a troll theme!

This thought bought to you by edibles

• Like 2