DVDVR Message Board

All Out II - 9/5/2020

Dolfan in NYC

I don’t even have problems with BR Live, since I watch it on my laptop anyway. It’s fair to complain about that service, but they also have the full archive of Dynamite and all past free PPVs and any you have ordered. I feel like that’s a good trade off for not being able to rewind. But, again, that doesn’t affect me as much as others, so...

• Like 2

Sorry for the double post, but just so everyone is aware: the Tooth and Nail match between Britt Baker and Big Swole is a No DQ, Falls Count Anywhere match that will take place “in and around a dentist’s office” - per Tony Khan on the Unrestricted podcast that was just released.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do you think they'd do that to Moxley after the Stampede match closed out the last PPV? People are already complaining Cody was sabotaging Moxley's championship run by making it lesser than the TNT title matches. I'm guessing they finish off with something like tag title match, buffer match like the 8 man tag or even Jericho/OC which will be totally different from the other two matches, and end with Moxley/MJF. I have little doubt the tag match will be incredible with all four of those fuckers involved. There is room for disappointment in the other two matches though. Tough call but world championship matches should go on last when you're building it up as the most prestigious prize in the company. If Moxley isn't up to carrying that weight, then belt Omega. ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Tough call but world championship matches should go on last when you're building it up as the most prestigious prize in the company. 

Are they building it as such? If the Bucks’ insistence that tag wrestling matters in this company is meant to be taken seriously, aren’t those the world championships of tag team wrestling? When the situation merits, shouldn’t they go on last? How many times do matches for those belts need to show up the singles belt before we start nudging them towards putting the tag guys on last?

And I look forward to applying the same standard when they get the women’s division figured out. Anecdotally, I’m also more excited for Shida vs Rosa than I am for Mox v MJF.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Are they building it as such? If the Bucks’ insistence that tag wrestling matters in this company is meant to be taken seriously, aren’t those the world championships of tag team wrestling? When the situation merits, shouldn’t they go on last? How many times do matches for those belts need to show up the singles belt before we start nudging them towards putting the tag guys on last?

And I look forward to applying the same standard when they get the women’s division figured out. Anecdotally, I’m also more excited for Shida vs Rosa than I am for Mox v MJF.

I'd say so, but more so with Jericho's run, hence the need to establish Moxley's title as the most over and important of the bunch. I think the argument the Bucks were making was tag matches and tag title matches should be able to headline not necessarily that they should headline or overshadow the singles belt, but that was my interpretation. I don't think it speaks highly to either Moxley or MJF if it doesn't go on last. The build hasn't been the best but it's time for Moxley to prove his worth and deliver a big title match. I haven't been overly impressed with his Cage or Lee defenses. 

3 hours ago, Jiji said:

I think the argument the Bucks were making was tag matches and tag title matches should be able to headline not necessarily that they should headline or overshadow the singles belt, but that was my interpretation. 

I take that to mean that they should main event when the situation calls for it, and not drag ass for the singles belts. I take your points regarding not wanting Moxley to go two PPVs without a main event; but I don't agree.

That said, I expect Mox and MFJ to close this out. I don't think they should, but I expect they will. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

If they go the route of doing the Mox DQ finish people are guessing at, then honestly, I wouldn't be surprised nor unhappy if they open the show with it. If Moxley wins with an armbar or something or if they do an MJF shock victory, I could see it closing. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't be pissed if FTR vs Omega/Page went on last, IF the finish is going to include the formation of some sort of Horsemen-esque with a double cross and a heel turn then it should probably end the show. Mimosa Match going third to last that should go no more than 20 minutes, Then Moxley vs MJF in a match that goes around 10 minutes with Moxley mopping the floor with him then the Tag match Mains and goes 30 minutes with the big turn be it Page or Kenny. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jiji said:

I'd say so, but more so with Jericho's run, hence the need to establish Moxley's title as the most over and important of the bunch. I think the argument the Bucks were making was tag matches and tag title matches should be able to headline not necessarily that they should headline or overshadow the singles belt, but that was my interpretation. I don't think it speaks highly to either Moxley or MJF if it doesn't go on last. The build hasn't been the best but it's time for Moxley to prove his worth and deliver a big title match. I haven't been overly impressed with his Cage or Lee defenses. 

The Mox-Cage match was nothing special, but the match with Brodie at Double or Nothing was really good. Hot start, good brawl through the stands after that, and a really good closing stretch. I would argue that it was the best AEW world title match so far, and would have the best match on many shows (however, the Stadium Stampede match overshadows it). Not feeling Mox-MJF that much (though last night helped a little bit in that regard), but that is definitely not on Mox. Think that MJF could be a main event level guy in the future, but he is not that yet. I would be way more excited about a Mox-Lance Archer main event.

• Like 2

I somewhat cynically joked about Cody winning the battle royale (which I still wouldn’t rule out!), but I feel like this would be a great spot for Eddie Kingston to win.  Since TV started, these PPV contenders matches have typically resulted in title matches on Dynamite.  Mox/King would be a good mini-feud and TV defense for Moxley before they heat up whatever he has at Full Gear.  Seems like the kind of thing Mox would lobby for, at some point, anyway.

Of course, it’s still too early to figure out where they have Kingston slotted in right now.  Is he primarily the mouthpiece for some guys who needed some direction and can’t promo, or is he a legitimate contender and focal point of the group? Basically, do they see him as Jake/Taz or Archer/Cage?  Maybe we’ll find out tomorrow night.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 3

Man, I forgot about that possibility but if he's not in it and wins I'll be incredibly sad.  But looking at recent world title contenders I think it'd be grand for Archer to win and go for it.  They've worked in New Japan and I remember those matches being aces so count me in.

• Like 2

They've begun sowing the seeds for Archer breaking away from Jake. I honestly think that would be for the best. Jake had a couple good promos at first, but he's just been a rambling old man since then. In terms of old man managers who can speak, Tully >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jake right now. Plus, Archer can talk. He doesn't need Jake.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, gordi said:

Kingston and Archer are good, realistic picks but I kind of want Miro to show up as a massive surprise entrant and take the whole thing. 

It's a fun idea but they're already done the "surprise entrant wins a multiman match and gets a shot" thing with Cage, so I'm not so sure they should go back to that so quickly.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

It's a fun idea but they're already done the "surprise entrant wins a multiman match and gets a shot" thing with Cage, so I'm not so sure they should go back to that so quickly.

Gotta agree. It would be an awesome surprise if he is in it, but having him win it all would be just a liiiiiiittle too TNA for my tastes.

• Like 2

Exactly. As much as I think Miro would be a boon for AEW, running the same old thing where the surprise former WWE entrant wins a title shot would be lame. Also, it sucks to say it, but there's no room for Miro. We JUST got Archer back on Dynamite after what felt like months of him being on Dark or not being used at all. I know TK's philosophy is basically absence makes the heart grow fonder, but there's some guys I just want to see all the time, like Archer, Cage, Starks, Lucha Bros, Darby, Kingston, TH2, Colt, and Scorp. Some of those guys just popped back up on Dynamite recently, but when I think of how large the roster is and how many don't make it to Dynamite every week, it sucks to also think, "where does Miro fit in, who does Miro bump back to Dark, and should Miro get pushed over someone like Starks?"

Plus, I think for TK, it just fucks up his roadmap and it forces him to reconfigure everything. In addition to his shelving of wrestlers to give them a break and make people miss them, he also seems to have a comic book storyline style to his storylines where things play as they should, the big event comes to a head, and then we're onto the next big story arc. Unless he can plan for it in advance, I just don't see Tony hiring Miro.

And honestly, where I most want to see Miro is in NJPW, but that's fucking impossible at this point. I want him vs Ishii, MiSu, Ibushi, and others.

• Like 3