DVDVR Message Board

All Out II - 9/5/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Most people who expect Omega to be AEW World Champion already watched his run as IWGP World Champion, and... well, if you'd have gone into an AEW thread in 2019 and predicted Kenny would go all of that year and at least 9 months of 2020 without wrestling for the World Title even once, everyone would have thought you insane, or said "If that's true then this promotion must be the worst booked shit ever".

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Well I finally caught the show after avoiding all spoilers and damn..  I thought Matt Hardy was in serious trouble.  There were a couple good matches but unlike the other AEW PPVs which were either home runs or at the very least good.. this was not that.  This was definitely their worst show. 

Show MVP:  Aubrey Edwards. She tried to save Matt Hardy and the fact that she got overruled is bullshit. 

Again, for the last time, she wasn't "overruled." Tony Khan gave the call in her earpiece to throw up the X and stop the match.

• Like 3

Honestly I barely paid attention to him on Impact/the indies. I am aware of the appearance on Art of Wrestling talking about his religious experience on ayahuasca. But I don't know that he played it up for heel heat? Like I want him to grow out some white guy dreadlocks, sell Hangman Page a bag of oregano and then complain to every woman of color on the roster about how oppressed he is. He can bring a guitar to the ring and threaten to sing Wonderwall, it'll be great. 

Edited by Sammo~!
  • Haha 1

In sleeping on it, yes the Hardy thing and other botches happened (and I don’t think it’s virtue signalling in a discussion board talking about your honest fresh thoughts on the show, to say someone knocked loopy being dragged around and climbing scaffolds took you out of the show). 

The biggest ‘unforced error’ was the show was too long, with too many matches, that were too long, which led to worse pacing/sloppiness combined with exhausted fans (or the perception, if the audio was to blame) that gives the overall impression that, as much as they say they listen to the fans, they don’t learn as much as they think they do. Or the booker/wrestler balance is off and the inmates are running the asylum. These were virtually all valid criticisms from at least one of the big pre-Dynamite shows last year. 

Overall I did enjoy a lot of the show, including the highest profile stuff that is what you pay your money to see. But it could and should have been better.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Custos said:

In sleeping on it, yes the Hardy thing and other botches happened (and I don’t think it’s virtue signalling in a discussion board talking about your honest fresh thoughts on the show, to say someone knocked loopy being dragged around and climbing scaffolds took you out of the show). 

The biggest ‘unforced error’ was the show was too long, with too many matches, that were too long, which led to worse pacing/sloppiness combined with exhausted fans (or the perception, if the audio was to blame) that gives the overall impression that, as much as they say they listen to the fans, they don’t learn as much as they think they do. Or the booker/wrestler balance is off and the inmates are running the asylum. These were virtually all valid criticisms from at least one of the big pre-Dynamite shows last year. 

Overall I did enjoy a lot of the show, including the highest profile stuff that is what you pay your money to see. But it could and should have been better.

I agree for the most part but I like that they hold back a little something extra for pay per view. However, setting matters. If it's a billion degrees outside with humidity like it was last year at Fight for the Fallen, matches need to be shorter and the show shouldn't exceed 3 hours. Indoors with A/C and fans? Sure go longer 4 times a year. But they need to be able to see when the crowd is exhausted and adjust. This was the first time in months and months that I've listened to Meltzer and he was right. They ought to keep in mind that there's a pandemic and 15% of seats filled (and fans not being picked up well), it's probably not the best time for drawn out epics particularly after a dude got legitimately fucked up earlier. Read the room and adjust. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There's a real idea backstage that All Out is AEW's biggest show of the year. No other AEW PPV has topped 7 matches, while the All Out shows had 8 and 9 respectively.  We didn't really know that this was supposed to be THE BIG ONE~!, since there's only been two and they didn't/couldn't try to promote this year's All Out like a Wrestlemania or anything. But I think somebody (Coach Tony K, likely) chose to operate under the pretense that this was AEMania,  so we got this four-hour thing that nobody asked for.

Completely understandable growing pains that were massively amplified by the Hardy fuckup. And by the tag title match not being half the length it was. The combined time of the matches from last year's All Out was between 130-135 minutes, and this year's All Out had a combined match time of between 150-160, if you're wondering how long the show actually was vs. how long it felt - I think I got that math right.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 5

I honestly couldn't care less about Sydal. Dude is just more filler on a roster that already has a lot of people on it. At least he's getting paid so he has more weed and shroom money?

EDIT: And I think he fucked himself out of ever going to Japan again, so at least he has this.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 3

I've seen it. It's one note. They would be better served giving whatever time they have in mind for Sydal to their young wrestlers and their women's division. Matt Sydal has never been a draw. He's fundamentally sound other than slipping on a sweat-soaked rope on a huge stage, lol damn, but just a boring character, jack off hippie or not. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I've seen it. It's one note. They would be better served giving whatever time they have in mind for Sydal to their young wrestlers and their women's division. Matt Sydal has never been a draw. He's fundamentally sound other than slipping on a sweat-soaked rope on a huge stage, lol damn, but just a boring character, jack off hippie or not. 

Yeah. The only time I thought he was worth a shit was in WWE because he was different enough. That only matters so much when you're treated as a jobber. Otherwise, I'd rather his time go to literally anyone else.

14 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

100%. Just like I said, nobody cares what goes on in the places he was doing that character. 

You could argue it was Matt Sydal best work in his career in IMPACT.  Maybe not in ring but definitely in character.  But it was in a period where TNA was almost non existent in wrestling mainstream 

Edited by hammerva

10 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

.  I know I wouldn't feel too hot on it had I watched this live.  

I'm not trying to crap on your (or anybody's) opinion(s). Everyone, obviously, has a right to like or dislike any show and to get mad about whatever it might be that makes them angry - but I watched this show live and I really really enjoyed it. I loved all three title matches, Mimosa Mayhem, and the Dark Order multi-man tag match. I fully enjoyed the Bucks vs JE and  and the Battle Royale. I was shocked that the Hardy match kept going after that horrific bump... but it didn't make me angry. Tooth and Nail was crap, but I think they were trying to cover for Baker still being hurt and I at least got a couple of chuckles out of it. I was very surprised to see so much anger and vitriol being poured over the event online - but, you know, different strokes and so on (and scooby doobie doobie...)

I was just in a good mood in general on Sunday morning (which is when it aired where I live) and happy that I could watch the show in the morning then spend time with my wife and kids in the afternoon and evening. I also watched it while chatting online with a couple of pro wrestling friends which probably increased my enjoyment ten-fold by simulating actual social interaction. 

Anyway, I truly enjoyed the show and the four hours just flew by for me. Not trying to be contrarian or throw shade on anyone who felt different, just adding my take to the discussion. 

• Like 6

I am certainly not offended by your enjoyment of the show.  I’m glad for you and what sounds like a nice little Sunday.  To be clear, as you cut off the line prior, I was urging “anybody frustrated with the bad segments and lengthy running time to watch on tape delay.”   It was advice to posters like me who don’t have as a high a threshold for 3 hours plus wrestling shows.  Further, it really helped my enjoyment to essentially edit out the cinematic battle, the preview videos I’d already seen, the commentator breaks, the lengthy entrances and clipping the battle Royale down to its quasi-essentials.  Tape delay is the way!  For me.

• Like 2

I think it was easily the worst PPV AEW has done.  Way too long.  Could've been paced better.  Should've ended with the tag title match.  Felt like the tag title, Cassidy v. Jericho and the main event all went way too long and were way too convoluted. 

On the good side, is Thunder Rosa sticking around?  Because she looked like the best damn woman in company history.  She was awesome, and my only other exposure was as Kobra Moon in Lucha Underground where I really didn't care for her at all.  I was impressed and hope she sticks around.  They had a great spot where it looked like it was going to be a standard double clothesline but Shida completely obliterated Thunder Rosa with a flying knee and it woke me the hell up.  Also, Thunder Rosa brought back the Super Dragon pendulum swing into the bottom turnbuckle spot and I can't complain about that.  Best match of the night. 

Felt like Kenny was the weak link in the tag title match.  Honestly, it's felt like Kenny has been the weak link in all the tag title matches.  His "character work" is so so bad. I feel like he watches his anime or whatever and has forgotten how to be a real human.  Page has been an MVP for AEW. 

I don't think anyone would have had a problem if Sammy / Hardy ended after the spot.  When Sammy could've said on a later Dynamite that he ended the career of Hardy, Matt could say they never counted him out, and it's a Broken Rules match, so, it's still going!  And then Hardy could throw him off a scaffold.  The seriousness and weirdness of the whole situation was pretty off-putting. 

And Moxley / MJF should've been way shorter.  MJF should've been cheating way more.  It should've been MJF cheating non-stop, then the big blood spot, then MJF showing "toughness."  Maybe a Wardlow F-10 sequence for a near fall.  15 minutes tops. 

I mean, I generally like AEW, but this was a little self-indulgent.  Oh, and Darby needs to be better than getting shoved in a body bag with thumbtacks and being powerbombed out of a ring like that. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, gordi said:

I'm not trying to crap on your (or anybody's) opinion(s). Everyone, obviously, has a right to like or dislike any show and to get mad about whatever it might be that makes them angry - but I watched this show live and I really really enjoyed it. I loved all three title matches, Mimosa Mayhem, and the Dark Order multi-man tag match. I fully enjoyed the Bucks vs JE and  and the Battle Royale. I was shocked that the Hardy match kept going after that horrific bump... but it didn't make me angry. Tooth and Nail was crap, but I think they were trying to cover for Baker still being hurt and I at least got a couple of chuckles out of it. I was very surprised to see so much anger and vitriol being poured over the event online - but, you know, different strokes and so on (and scooby doobie doobie...)

I was just in a good mood in general on Sunday morning (which is when it aired where I live) and happy that I could watch the show in the morning then spend time with my wife and kids in the afternoon and evening. I also watched it while chatting online with a couple of pro wrestling friends which probably increased my enjoyment ten-fold by simulating actual social interaction. 

Anyway, I truly enjoyed the show and the four hours just flew by for me. Not trying to be contrarian or throw shade on anyone who felt different, just adding my take to the discussion. 

AEW's fanbase is left-leaning, and as such, I think their fans tend to get angrier over what they perceive to be injustices (I'm this way myself), and they expect better from AEW.  That's why I think the level of anger is so high.  This was something they'd expect out of WWE, they expect AEW to be better.

The question is will AEW be forgiven?  I think if they admit they screwed up, or at least implement some changes, they will be.  Folks do want to give them benefit of the doubt still, especially since there's no other real alternative.  They're lucky Matt isn't worse off than he is, otherwise forgiveness would be harder.  This has to be a lesson learned for AEW, and they need to make sure Sammy and Darby don't kill themselves (especially since those two could work a straight match well).

Overall, I felt same way you did about the show- though I enjoyed the tag title match less (was getting tired), and I don't like Bucks matches much.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 2