DVDVR Message Board

All Out II - 9/5/2020

Dolfan in NYC

The only thing I can say about the Hardy thing is that it was an Austin-Owen situation where the stip backed them into a corner and they panicked but they screwed up real bad here. I just hope he is OK. 

• Like 5

Yeah that Hardy bump was scary. Super irresponsible to let it continue. 

The women's title match was really good. So was the tag title match. 

Everything else was kinda meh. I wanted to like the last 2 matches, but I was underwhelmed. 

And if Kenny and the Bucks are turning, the roster all of a sudden becomes very heel heavy. Will be interesting to see where the go with that. 

All in all, not the best night for AEW. I guess they all can't be home runs.

There's no reason why a trained medical professional like Britt Baker can't work an entire BJPW-style match with a syringe stabbed through her cheeks. Awful match, though.

Matt Sydal botching an SSP is an all-time great highlight (and a reminded that botches can happen to anyone), but props to him, everyone else in the match, and commentary for getting on with it. Also props to the fireworks + JR mixing up Memorial Day and Labor Day directly afterwards, kinda made the botch stand out less. Match was an improvement over their last battle royal psychologically. Everybody was trying to win, even if it was all-around sloppy. Justin Roberts wasn't announcing eliminations - I know in Royal Rumbles, you're given the name of the guy who's eliminated before you prior to the match so you know when it's your turn to bounce. Wonder if this is something that every company should incorporate.

Jurassic Express vs. Young Bucks was way better that I thought it was going to be. Jungle Boy's ability to register just about everything happening to him in a match is a rare skill and the Bucks didn't get too goofy. Even Luchasaurus seems healthier and more involved than usual, this was really good stuff.

A concussed Matt Hardy being cleared to climb a lighting rig is maybe the low point for the entire company? This conversation is going to happen with or without my comments, so have fun with it.

Props to Shida + Rosa for having a straightforward, competitive match that seemed to stabilize a show that was on the verge of becoming historically snakebitten. Still would have liked Rosa to win for the sake of fresh matchups but maybe we can get a Shida/Deeb defense or something.

Big tag was a mite better than I thought it was going to be. Colt blowing the finish for the Dark Order was good, Brodie's reaction to the ball-drop was better, Dustin's post-match promo was best. Dustin vs. Brodie for a TV quarter-hour is just peachy with me. On a more critical note, I was ready to admit that JR seems a lot more upbeat and engaged with this show than he had in about the last month-and-a-half of TV but his Anna Jay wardrobe malfunction quip was such a store-brand kind of lame that it erased any goodwill I had. Fuck off, man.

BANG~!Man vs. FTR had MOTY hype and sadly never even nipped at it. A good enough match on it's own, but the heat segments felt bogged down by the heat index. I'm definitely the kind of person who a really long, tag-psychology slow-burn match should appeal to but I'm wondering if FTR's old-school gimmick gets in the way of their having the kind of matches that the average AEW fan actually wants. It's the kind of thing that a full live crowd might start negatively chanting about if their shtick gets long in tooth. But we don't have that failsafe, do we? At least there was that spot where they held the tag rope between Kenny's legs. 

Jericho/Cassidy felt like an admittance of/more than worthy apology for Jericho's performance in their second match and some textbook applications of how to provide nearfalls in a Don't-Fall-In-The-Thing gimmick match. The opening Code Breaker established a good dynamic for the match early on, Cassidy's offense felt as natural as ever, and the final shot of Jericho's T-pose felt like the kind of master stroke of a man who knows exactly what he looks like on camera.

Mox/MJF was gorgeous. I'm at a point where I'm liking MJF's oldschool/newschool ring work a lot more than his  smirking over-long shooty promos. Wardlow continues to understand what's asked of his role and excel in it. And on a night with too many stips they really made that stip pay off. This might have been the best AEW World Championship match.

A card with this much good stuff shouldn't have come off as underwhelming, and maybe it really didn't - the big matches generally paid off. But bad luck, too much stuff, a small and sweat-soaked crowd and one really bad production/medical decision dragged the mood down. But I did like enough stuff here to find the show more than worthwhile.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 6

It's cool that Matt Hardy's health was way less important than making sure we got that final underwhelming bump into a clearly gimmicked stage. Where would we be without that kind of closure?

I'm sure this will just lead to a future match where Hardy takes an even riskier bump in order to prove....something?

AEW has done a pretty good job of a quality/quantity mixture and staying away from making their PPVs the slog to get through that so many WWE PPVs are these days. Tonight was different as even though I enjoyed several of the matches, it just went on way too long. The 8 man tag could have easily been shunted to the preshow.

I hadn't been paying that close of attention to Hardy/Sammy, but I definitely felt like there were audibles being called there. Stopping the match would result in the Matt leaving town stipulation, but there are plenty of ways they could book themselves out of that. Speaking of scary bumps, that meteora in the women's title match was inches away from looking bad. Shida's knees and Rosa's head were practically on the stairs.

It's good to see Sydal turn up and I hope he sticks around, even though his debut was inauspicious to say the least.

Luchasaurus and Jungle Boy were the standouts of the night for me. Those are two guys who can be leading the promotion in a few years if they keep on the same path.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, elizium said:

It's cool that Matt Hardy's health was way less important than making sure we got that final underwhelming bump into a clearly gimmicked stage. Where would we be without that kind of closure?

I'm sure this will just lead to a future match where Hardy takes an even riskier bump in order to prove....something?

I want to phrase this carefully to make it clear I'm not putting you on blast, because I 100% get the point you're going for here. But man, the gimmicked stage might have been the only sensible thing about the entire sequence of events that occurred here. I know if the bump that went wrong had a crash pad everyone would bitch online, but, like, there should be a fucking crash pad.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I want to phrase this carefully to make it clear I'm not putting you on blast, because I 100% get the point you're going for here. But man, the gimmicked stage might have been the only sensible thing about the entire sequence of events that occurred here. I know if the bump that went wrong had a crash pad everyone would bitch online, but, like, there should be a fucking crash pad.

100%. In a vacuum I would much prefer guys land into crash pads or whatever. I'm just mad that they felt that that particular bump was so necessary to happen, regardless of the possible state of one of the competitors. Honestly though, I'm pretty much done with wrestlers falling from high places in general. Unless you have someone legit trying to murder Vic Grimes or peak Mick Foley, it never looks as cool as they imagine it looks.

I can't imagine that Matt Hardy is so integral to their future plans that they can't work around a Loser Leaves Town stip by calling the match there. I think Matt could be a fantastic Charlie Brown from Outta Town

• Like 6

The most likely scenario is a loopy Matt Hardy arguing to the doctors and producers that they should just run the finish to protect the stipulation. Sammy caves because he's not in a position to argue due to his suspension, production caves due to Matt's veteran status, and some dumb shit happens.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, elizium said:

100%. In a vacuum I would much prefer guys land into crash pads or whatever. I'm just mad that they felt that that particular bump was so necessary to happen, regardless of the possible state of one of the competitors. Honestly though, I'm pretty much done with wrestlers falling from high places in general. Unless you have someone legit trying to murder Vic Grimes or peak Mick Foley, it never looks as cool as they imagine it looks.

I can't imagine that Matt Hardy is so integral to their future plans that they can't work around a Loser Leaves Town stip by calling the match there. I think Matt could be a fantastic Charlie Brown from Outta Town

Or hell the stip was Matt Hardy would leave AEW. Couldn’t they just bring him back as Damascus if they really needed to? Since that’s a character he’d already introduced, and that is supposedly separate from Matt.

I can't help but wonder what people would have thought of the show if not for the Hardy situation. Because take that out and while not their strongest show it still had some pretty good stuff going on. 

But unfortunately that happened and knowing he was concussed for that finish pisses me off. They should have known better. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

The most likely scenario is a loopy Matt Hardy arguing to the doctors and producers that they should just run the finish to protect the stipulation. Sammy caves because he's not in a position to argue due to his suspension, production caves due to Matt's veteran status, and some dumb shit happens.

2 minutes ago, MavsFan77 said:

Or hell the stip was Matt Hardy would leave AEW. Couldn’t they just bring him back as Damascus if they really needed to? Since that’s a character he’d already introduced, and that is supposedly separate from Matt.

A loophole that the Brokenverse doesn't count or this version of Matt Hardy is gone having agreed to the match but that doesn't mean the other iterations are. See the Three Faces of Foley.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

A loophole that the Brokenverse doesn't count or this version of Matt Hardy is gone but that doesn't mean the other iterations are. See the Three Faces of Foley.

They could've figured out a million different reasons to bring Hardy back. Loser leaves town matches never stick in wrestling. They are bogus.

• Like 3

On 9/4/2020 at 1:36 PM, Flair’s Shadow said:

MJF & FTR are turning on Wardlow after MJF wins his AEW World Championship right there in the middle of the ring before PPV turns to black.

Remember Moxley saying in a promo 2 weeks ago MJF was hiding something?

Remember MJF stating the name Tully Blanchard in the contract signing with Moxley?

FTR & MJF both speak of old school wresting...this is the Apocalypse forming.

Wardlow gets smashed at All Out and his bloodied body will laying on the mat alongside Moxley and Hangman Page who attempt to save Moxley from the ultimate beat down at the end of the World Championship match.

Wardlow is going to be laying in a pool of blood...his own.

So let’s see how the Wonderful, and All Knowing Shadow did with this post:

MJF & FTR together at the end of All Out: Nope

Wardlow being turned on by MJF at All Out: Nope

MJF winning the world title at All Out: Nope

The supposed Apocalypse debuting: Nope

Warlord bloodied at All Out: Nope 

So congratulations again All Knowing, and Powerful Shadow. Your predictions continue to stink, yet you still claim to know inside information. 

BTW where’s my credit for telling you and everyone else who the Exalted One was before he debuted? MavsFan knows and remembers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Very disappointed with Tony Khan's defense of that match and saying Matt Hardy passed concussion protocol. I wonder what protocol that is.

It’s pretty bad when a retail company has better concussion protocol than a major wrestling company. But I can say from first hand experience that I know of at least one company that has much better protocol than AEW. Then again the retailer in question is a corporation so they probably don’t want a lawsuit if any of us got hurt worse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

And as for the shooting star press I've made my feelings known on it before but I guess it bears repeating, I think it's an absurdly dangerous move, I don't know a single worker in 30 years that has landed it consistently, and even when it hits it looks awkward and dangero

Maybe Billy Kidman, but even then we're talking about a guy who seriously rang Chavo Guerrero's bell. So point taken.