DVDVR Message Board

AEW Thursday Night Thunder - 8/27/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Thinking back to the lawnmower joke segment, what was up with the one shot of the Ford Mustang in the middle of it that never got explained or referenced again?

I'm actually not sure if I agree with Dewar that Cassidy attacking Jericho off-camera was a production flub. I interpreted that as "something surprising happens that's supposed to seem unscripted", but it's possible I'm just being an apologist. I actually thought it worked fine as it was, though.

• Like 3

The various members of the Dark Order bought different things with their money from the Chili's endorsement. Brodie Lee bought six ride on Lawnmowers because Fuck Hangman. Stu Grayson bought a Ford Mustang. Preston Vance bought guns.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

Way better than I thought it would do on a different night and the RNC's final night. WHAT ABOUT THE DEMO, DZ?!

Weren't there people here thinking they could break a million, with no sports/nxt competition?

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

Way better than I thought it would do on a different night and the RNC's final night. WHAT ABOUT THE DEMO, DZ?!

Weren't there people here thinking they could break a million, with no sports/nxt competition?

18 hours ago, Dewar said:

In-the-middle things:

Jericho on commentary. Moments of goodness, followed by him screaming over JR and Skeeavone. This might be turning into the law of diminishing returns.

Sorry, but this is my FAVORITE part of Dynamite. I love so much about his over the top-ness, it really makes the show more entertaining just to hear what he's going to say next.
My favorite tibdit from last night - (Hangman's run-in/interference) "He's probably drunk!" That, and the fact that he's brought back David Crockett's "LOOK AT THAT TONY" is good enough for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Great ML said:

The Bucks, Omega, Sonny Kiss, Joey Janela and Swole are all channel-changers / FFWD material for me...and no, Im not a Cornette guy.

I AM a Cornette guy, and I love all of them (minus Bucks, sometimes)

Also re: Excalibur
I've enjoyed the programs more since he's been away. An ideal three man booth is JR/Tony/Jericho, but I'll take JR/Tony/Tazz as well. The truly ideal combination would be Tony/Jericho/Sean Mooney.

• Thanks 1

Out of curiosity does anyone remember where peak Impact would place in the evening rankings when they were hitting 1 mil + numbers? Would be interested to know if AEW outperforms them relative to rankings on the evening (in pure numerical terms they are lower, right?).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AxB said:

The various members of the Dark Order bought different things with their money from the Chili's endorsement. Brodie Lee bought six ride on Lawnmowers because Fuck Hangman. Stu Grayson bought a Ford Mustang. Preston Vance bought guns.

Evil Uno bought a bunch of sex toys because well...look at Uno.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Thanks 1

I do really like the way Mox is playing it with MJF on tv. He hasn't tried to like, cut MJF off or get super angry. He's playing it like he's letting MJF have his fun because he knows he's gonna destroy him. MJF IS a dead man. He just doesn't know it.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, just drew said:

I do really like the way Mox is playing it with MJF on tv. He hasn't tried to like, cut MJF off or get super angry. He's playing it like he's letting MJF have his fun because he knows he's gonna destroy him. MJF IS a dead man. He just doesn't know it.

"They're all dead. They just didn't know it yet."- The Crow

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

MJeff should have just stopped after the puberty line cause there's no way he was topping that. Even though his material after was weak, after that it came off as desperately flailing for a response. It's too bad they had all that time to fill

Turns out they didn't with how rushed Hardy/Sammy was. I'm sure Matt was thrilled with that.

13 hours ago, just drew said:

Reminds me of a bouncer letting a dude run his mouth cause he knows the second they're outside the club it's a different story.

• Like 2

On 8/28/2020 at 9:11 PM, just drew said:

Mox's has been spot on.  I went back to the last episode yesterday.  I thought this contract signing in particular was much better on second view.  I still feel on this whole build like they went a little heavy on cartoon-play for MJef, and the lawyer reveal was hackneyed material, but it's the world of pro wrestling.  Further, Moxley's been really great throughout.  His promos, his presence were good from the get go, but he's starting to really find something special as of late.  

Also, the Hardy-Guevera match when seen without the ad break was a whole better.  I bet the live production team, Khan especially, learned a few things about timing this week.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Mox's has been spot on.  I went back to the last episode yesterday.  I thought this contract signing in particular was much better on second view.  I still feel on this whole build like they went a little heavy on cartoon-play for MJef, and the lawyer reveal was hackneyed material, but it's the world of pro wrestling.  Further, Moxley's been really great throughout.  His promos, his presence were good from the get go, but he's starting to really find something special as of late.  

Also, the Hardy-Guevera match when seen without the ad break was a whole better.  I bet the live production team, Khan especially, learned a few things about timing this week.

If I were in the AEW executive room, I'd have pitched for Mox to allude to the fact that he's dealt with a self-obsessed blowhard golden boy before, and it didn't work out for that guy either. You don't say the name "seth rollins," but you sure do let the awkward silence say it. But he's been fantastic. Having Mox blow MJF out would be the way to get past the cartoonyness of MJF's current gimmick. 

4 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

There's no dobut they're still struggling a bit with timing out live shows. All the taped shows have been fine.

They had it down just fine prior to the pandemic. That's why I keep referring to these poorly timed out shows we've been seeing as 2019-esque. Super weird for them to revert back to that, like they got too comfortable being able to edit shit together.