DVDVR Message Board

AEW Thursday Night Thunder - 8/27/2020

Dolfan in NYC

35 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I  get Craig's response but I also see what you're getting at.  It does seem like there may have been a logicical step to bridge the gap between the two end points.  So I hope that I don't seem condescending when giving my take on it all as I'm just going through how I see it.

Yeah, Page wanted out but Kenny didn't want him to leave.  So while Adam was leery at first as time went on he developed a friendship with Kenny.  So for Kenny's sake he hung with the Bucks and it wasn't until Stadium Stampede where the bond with the Bucks got stronger.  So while they never said it Page was fine with being back in the Elite.

Then you have FTR come in and unlike Kenny they share a common interest in beer and...well...whatever else they have an interest in (old school wrestling, cowboy shit, take your pick)  And after initial tensions both sides were fine with each other until the tag appreciation night.  Once FTR formally turned heel it was clear to me that Page was between a rock and hard place.

Now part of me kind of wishes they drug this out another month or so to let this develop better.  It would have given more time to bridge the gap and allow for FTR to get more in Adam's head.  And I feel costing the Bucks and the FTR/Omega/Page title match shouldn't have happened until the next PPV.  But with the way things are looking he'll be torn at All Out yet I can see him coming to his senses at the next PPV.  Again, sorry if this sounds like me being condescending as it's not my intent.  Considering how much I'm into this story this is just me trying to make sense of it all.

Not condescending in the least.  I hear your points.  I'd say 'Being fine with being in the Elite' doesn't really qualify as an unbreakable or even strong bond.  Or even that they're good friends.  Which is how they're playing this up.  I get what @Jiji is saying about the story being fleshed out on BTE.  I don't watch BTE in full ever.  I skim it.  It's mostly not for me or my taste for comedy.  It feels like a bad mistake and huge logic hole to consider BTE and AEW Dynamite as one.  BTE is completely goofy.  I mean how do you translate something like Kenny being scared of some low level staff guy on BTE with him being a top star serious wrestler?  Or how about his silly feud with Cabana?  Which I liked a lot of but that shit's place is on BTE not TNT.  Sidenote: I'm completely fine with goofy BTE as a seperate thing. 

I get the flimsy AEW logic on this Page-Bucks altercation, but how can I possibly take a whining Matt Jackson remotely serious?  That was one of the most awkwawrd laughs I've had in awhile.  And to be clear, I like the Bucks.  I thought they looked really good in the ring last night, but that whole bit made them look like goofs.  Page not so much a goof, but really weak willed, and way too far away from the boozy asskicker that turned an early meh babyface run into something to get excited about.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Hangman constantly trying to hang out with FTR in BTE really helps flesh it out and it felt fine if you watched those segments. If not, I can totally see Adam coming off way too naive even for an insecure man with alcoholism. 

This is an issue though. I don't want to have to watch supplementary material to get the story on Dynamite. BTE is fine but on the whole it's not for me, if it matters it should be on TV.

• Like 2

I don't think it's flimsy even if you just follow TV. Matt was fine because he's supposed to both have a point and be whiny. Hangman is the good guy here even though he's a fuck up. We all fuck up.

When I typed the above about Hangman being naive, well he is, but I forgot about the contract signing and I think the one or two other interactions they've had on Dynamite. I would have liked them to play up Adam's desire to befriend FTR a bit more on Dynamite but it was fine. Hangman's despondent  look into the mirror ruled. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

There's a lot I'm skipping over on this rewatch, maybe because I caught more of it than I thought when I was watching the first time. 

Eric on Segunda was right, having Eddie do this little is a waste. Put him in the ring, put him in the booth. Him cutting a pre-match promo and stalk at ringside is weak sauce. Speaking of which Pillman got the final hot tag and was immediately stomped to lose the match -- that's ALL he did. Damn.

Brodie's suit and kicks were fantastic. It's too bad he can't riddle his language with all the FUCKs of the BTE material but he's still great as the abusive leader. 

So the debate continues: Did Sammy get cut hardway? It certainly looked it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Casey said:

Absolutely. Well, I participate in the first one sometimes, but the second one is dumb.

Sometimes, I agree. But, when even the announcers don't know what the mowers are there for, that's not good. I enjoy when wrestling shows reward their audience for paying attention, like with FTR convincing Page to fuck over the Bucks. That's good. The mower stuff not so much. BTE seems to average around 250k viewers. That's at least two-thirds of the audience not knowing what's going on. It's certainly not essential, of course, but not great.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Dog said:

Wouldn't Moxley squashing MJF just be replicating Brodie and Cody?

Not really. The Brodie/Cody skit could be explained as Cody being used to running over the amateur talents he was facing in his weekly challenge, becoming "complacent", then being utterly wrecked when contending with a serious foe who he tried to meet head-on. Brodie didn't really psychologically defeat Cody and Cody's gameplan wasn't psychologically based, Brodie just ran him over when Cody attempted a battle of brawn.

If the same style of match played out with MJF/Moxley then it could be a story of MJF's psychological mind-games not being enough to elevate him to that top eschelon. Which, as others have said, could push him on a road towards seriousness. Could kind of be like Triple H of the 90s becomming the "Game" character through the wars with Foley etc after he'd earlier had the posh boy gimmick. I like MJF a lot but agree with the sentiment he needs more battle wounds to convincingly be the guy. Gotta earn those stripes.

I think the Bucks are pretty lame anyway, but agree with the other sentiment on not liking the sort-of neutering of Hangman's character. It feels very much like virtue-signalling politics. He never really came across like a drunk with a paranoia problem before; really not sure why that needs to happen now. Hope they don't fuck his portrayal up as he was a huge brightspot.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Sometimes, I agree. But, when even the announcers don't know what the mowers are there for, that's not good. I enjoy when wrestling shows reward their audience for paying attention, like with FTR convincing Page to fuck over the Bucks. That's good. The mower stuff not so much. BTE seems to average around 250k viewers. That's at least two-thirds of the audience not knowing what's going on. It's certainly not essential, of course, but not great.

I understand why this argument has popped back up again, but those things don't happen that often anymore. BTE references are largely kept off Dynamite, or at least not so prominently featured like it was in the Dark Order segment. As of late, it's been the exact opposite: BTE has been expanding on things that have happened on the TV show.

Dynamite is super easy to follow without watching BTE. I know this because I don't watch BTE. When they did the lawnmower thing, I did a mental eye-roll and immediately recognized it as the grab-ass chucklefuck "comedy" that they do on their Youtube show. I found that very easy and didn't feel like I had missed something. The Adam Page stuff was fine too, because it played on him wavering between FTR and the Elite on TV and I know his motivation will almost certainly be explained more explicitly in the near future. Super easy stuff. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Two things are guaranteed in any AEW topic:

1) Fantasy booking of the women's division.

2) Discussing if Being The Elite is necessary viewing or if it's supplemental material.

And complaining about Jim Ross.

Speaking of commentary, Excalibur was back to record commentary for Dark. I guess with the Jacob Blake shooting so recent that it would probably not be the best time to bring him back on TV? Or is he relegated to Dark for the near future I wonder. I don't know how much more of a JR anchored commentary team I can handle, fellars.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Two things are guaranteed in any AEW topic:

1) Fantasy booking of the women's division.

2) Discussing if Being The Elite is necessary viewing or if it's supplemental material.

Good thing we have poster archivists keeping the tally and keeping things fresh!  

I agree with the sentiment that you don't have to watch BTE to understand anything on Dynamite.  The discussion prior concerned the FTR/Hangman story being better understood from watching BTE.  Which may or may not be true.  The Bucks/Hangman storyline is logical enough.  It was just incredibly corny seeing Matt Jackson whimpering to Page over friendship when they were barely friends to begin with.  I could be wrong on Page's balls being cut off by looking like a minion to FTR.  I guess we'll see. Anyway, I look forward to a looped video of Matt's tears and 'You're out of the elite!!!'  

1 minute ago, D.Z said:

AEW: 813,000

Way better than I thought it would do on a different night and the RNC's final night. WHAT ABOUT THE DEMO, DZ?!

Edited by Jiji