DVDVR Message Board

2020 NBA PLAYOFFS: QUARTERFINALS

Dolfan in NYC

I'm scared they got beat so comprehensively that they blow the whole thing up and Harden is traded to a team I kinda like or there's a new super team. Morey and D'Antoni could both be gone. Will Harden want to stick around for a mini rebuild of sorts? 

• Like 1

They don't really have any other obvious path forward except "stick with the current roster, more or less" or "trade Harden"

I have no idea which they'll choose, but I think D'Antoni is almost certainly done.

Assuming they don't have a miracle comeback in them, of course.

Edited by Brian Fowler

16 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

Did better than Luka

Your overrated guy had more help than Luka. Luka didn’t have anyone resembling a top 75 player on his team once Kristaps went down.

So how about you quit clowning for once, admit your team got spanked like the losers they are, and say hey maybe Harden really is overrated. Same with that loser they got from OKC to replace CP3.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Assuming they don't have a miracle comeback in them, of course.

They really don't. You don't have to do that. ?

So where is Harden gonna get traded to and how does Lawful react? I love this era of all star duos and no obvious, clear cut super team or super teams. I mean, we all probably saw LA v LA in the WCF but if the Clippers are the favourites it's not by much. And the East is open. Next year's season will have an even more competitive Western Conference. It's a great time for the Association and I hope Harden doesn't ruin it by being a second or third wheel somewhere else. 

edit: it's almost sad to see how far Westbrook has fallen and where he ended up. He still gets to the basket well and though not quite as freakishly explosive an athlete, a premier athlete, but as is he's figured out even more so than Giannis in the playoffs because at least Giannis will always be a great defender, rebounder, and a good distributor. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jiji said:

They really don't. You don't have to do that. ?

So where is Harden gonna get traded to and how does Lawful react? I love this era of all star duos and no obvious, clear cut super team or super teams. I mean, we all probably saw LA v LA in the WCF but if the Clippers are the favourites it's not by much. And the East is open. Next year's season will have an even more competitive Western Conference. It's a great time for the Association and I hope Harden doesn't ruin it by being a second or third wheel somewhere else. 

edit: it's almost sad to see how far Westbrook has fallen and where he ended up. He still gets to the basket well and though not quite as freakishly explosive an athlete, a premier athlete, but as is he's figured out even more so than Giannis in the playoffs because at least Giannis will always be a great defender, rebounder, and a good distributor. 

If there’s any justice (and it will make Lawful cry so hard) then Harden gets traded to The Knicks. That way one of the most overrated players in the league can play on the most overrated team in the league. I don’t get how ESPN spends so much time on all of their shows promoting a team that’s not won a single title in my lifetime, and that hasn’t signed a top tier free agent in years.

• Haha 1

Sadly the Knicks don't even have the pieces, do they? hahahaha. Oh shit. That's funny. New York fans deserve better, but man, that is funny. Would be hilarious if they swung a deal for Harden and brought back Carmelo.

I wouldn't want to be the Rockets right now because it's not even an easy or clear path to rebuild. How you going to get rid of Westbrook? They traded all of their picks. Moving Harden would get you a lot of them in return but what quality? Tricky for ownership and management. 

Let's just hope they keep Austin Rivers. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Sadly the Knicks don't even have the pieces, do they? hahahaha. Oh shit. That's funny. New York fans deserve better, but man, that is funny. Would be hilarious if they swung a deal for Harden and brought back Carmelo.

I wouldn't want to be the Rockets right now because it's not even an easy or clear path to rebuild. How you going to get rid of Westbrook? They traded all of their picks. Moving Harden would get you a lot of them in return but what quality? Tricky for ownership and management. 

Let's just hope they keep Austin Rivers. 

The Knicks would offer draft picks, RJ Barrett, and I don’t even know what else. I live in NY and get MSG but I never watch them play. They’re my best friends team and from hearing him curse about them all the time I know they suck.

Getting rid of Russ would mean trading for John Wall? That’s the only guy I can think of that has a salary that would come close to matching his. 

The Knicks bringing Melo back would be funny, but with how he played in the bubble I’d be shocked if he’s not back in Portland next year (unless he asks for an absurd amount of $$$ or they trade for Giannis).

5 minutes ago, hammerva said:

There is about 10 teams on the NBA that hope D'Antoni gets fired.  Granted these are teams would kill to be a 1st round and out team for 2 years much less over 5

I honestly wonder what he could do with Chicago? They seem to have a decent collection of young pieces, and the East isn’t as hard to get into the playoffs as the West.

Where’s @Lawful Metal at? I’m so dying to hear one of his witty comments about how his team got further than Dallas, or Harden outplayed Luka.

Face it no team choked worse than the Rockets. There’s no other team with 2 top 15 players that didn’t make the conference finals. Hell the Western Conference Finals will actually feature two teams that have two top 15 players. So enjoy your nice long offseason, and the time you’ll spend trying to convince yourself that your guy is somehow better than Kawhi.

I think the more likely move is letting D'Antoni go, and mostly staying pat with the roster next year, similar to what I was saying about Milwaukee. Harden would be a hell of a trade chip, but the odds of getting back equal value are low. They don't have a lot of other tradable assets. Covington might fetch something, but not likely to be a game changer. Tucker is a fantastic guy to have, plays his ass off and fights for everything, but he's not worth that much in a trade. Russ is still good, but that contract is a hot mess, and he's showing the early steps of decline without developing the skills needed to age gracefully. Can't imagine him being worth much on the trade market. The rest of the team is perfectly fine role players, but they have no picks they can really package with any of those guys to pull off another big move (though Morey does have a knack for pulling huge things off, and assuming they keep him, he would have no reason not to swing for the fences) without dumping Harden.

So they're stuck with a top five player whose game might simply not be conducive for winning a title, an aging second star, and a lot of pieces that, right now, add up to "good" but not quite great. The CP3 injury probably cost them their best shot at a title (and I'm not nearly as convinced as some people are they would have won that series, but they certainly had a shot. People also kinda forget that Houston didn't look like they had a chance until Iggy got hurt) but right now...

So you change the coach, hope a new voice and a modified scheme works, gets you over the top. You keep an eye open for a deal that might improve your odds again. You hope to get the lucky break that pretty much every champion needs. And you brace yourself for the real possibility that this was era will end ringless, and prepare to move on from the best player the franchise has had since Hakeem broke down.

Or you trade him now and start looking for the next championship window.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dewar said:

How does the underdog team in a series losing constitute choking? You want to claim Milwaukee choked? That's a pretty good claim. But who actually thought Houston was winning that series?

I don't think anyone has said they choked, just Houston fans who are over sensitive about Harden's past history making sure everyone knows that Harden, personally, didn't choke.

Rockets basically finished right at their level this year.

• Like 1

In fairness to Houston, when was the last time a player was just so clearly mentally shot like Westbrook was this series?

Like I'm going back to Muggsy Bogues' jump shot post "Shoot it you fucking midget".

His free throws were hard to watch. Like, I thought, one more miss and you'd see a nervous breakdown play out on court, and perhaps if Rondo's brother wasn't dealt with so quickly, it may have eventuated.

Hey @Lawful Metal how do you feel about these great comments you made after game 7 of the first round?: 

James Harden with the game winning play on defense fuck the haters 

Scott Foster tried his best

Fuck CP3 

I have always loved Russ

Because to me I want to know where this great defense of his was against the Lakers. He got his ass spanked by old man James. I’m sure I’m just being a hater though, and that you’ll find some BS metric that says he’s the greatest defensive player ever.

The refs really aren’t an excuse for this series at all.

CP3 would have played much better against “Playoff” Rondo than your trash talking wannabe did.

And last but not least do you still love that mentally weak bum? 

Edited by MavsFan77