DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 8/26/2020

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Maybe the most NXT thing ever.

jump-shark-gif.gif?resize=308,176

Sucks Karrion Kross has to vacate. Shortest NXT Championship reign ever. Get well soon.

As for the match to crown the new NXT Champion. I like Finn Balor, I miss the Gargano/Ciampa from 2018 and I really don't like Adam Cole. All three are tired in NXT. Oof.

As for alternatives, Lee's just gone to RAW, fuck Velveteen Dream and Dunne's in the UK. I'd much rather see Roderick Strong in the match instead.

Just now, Andy in Kansas said:

I’ll admit that I have a genuine rooting interest in Finn. But an hour of the other three guys? It’s going to be like a parody of NXT main event style. 

Thank you for saying what I tried to but doing a better job.

• Like 1

Wade Barrett being a dude you just want to listen to is a good take. 

Man that brings me back. 10 years ago the NXT game show thread discussion on here wasn’t unlike the weekly LOST thread - some seriously fun shit. And we all went into it with a heavy Danielson bias, but I’m pretty sure by week 3 or 4 we were all like “woah who the fuck is THAT dude, he’s awesome” when Wade would do something. He won over a bunch of smart marks on a game show featuring Bryan Danielson. 

Shame about the injuries and his bell to bell never getting to a top level because he has “it”.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

Man that brings me back. 10 years ago the NXT game show thread discussion on here wasn’t unlike the weekly LOST thread - some seriously fun shit. And we all went into it with a heavy Danielson bias, but I’m pretty sure by week 3 or 4 we were all like “woah who the fuck is THAT dude, he’s awesome” when Wade would do something. He won over a bunch of smart marks on a game show featuring Bryan Danielson. 

Shame about the injuries and his bell to bell never getting to a top level because he has “it”.

Dude, I still remember when they cut that promo about random topics and he had to talk about wind.  When he was able to spin that into "winds of change" it seems most people realize just how good he can be on the mic.  Great voice, always liked his promos and commentary and he seems like a decent enough guy for a company to have.  I haven't watched the show yet but I'd be happy for him to be on commentary.

• Like 3

You are not going to get me to boo Tommaso Ciampa by having him beat the holy dogshit out of Jake Atlas; the second most punchable face in NXT behind Kyle O'Reilly.

I was torn during the Phantasmo / Swerve match.  I have always been a mark for the loaded mask gimmick, but I was hoping Swerve would pull off the win.  Maybe he'll get the duke at the Street Fight?

Edited by J.T.

LOL, listening to Meltzer right now and he's raving about how great the four way's going to be.

I actually hope that Retribution shows up to disrupt the match...(and it's funny how no one on RAW or Smackdown has pointed out that there hasn't been any Retribution run ins on NXT...)

10 hours ago, The Natural said:

As well as preferring Roderick Strong, same goes for Timothy Thatcher.

Fuck, bring someone from the main roster to NXT like Finn Balor when he came back to the brand last year or how Cesaro wrestled for NXT in 2013-2014 while on the main roster. The match we're getting does very little for me.

4 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Dude, I still remember when they cut that promo about random topics and he had to talk about wind.  When he was able to spin that into "winds of change" it seems most people realize just how good he can be on the mic.  Great voice, always liked his promos and commentary and he seems like a decent enough guy for a company to have.  I haven't watched the show yet but I'd be happy for him to be on commentary.

Wade Barrett was unlucky with wrong results (Team WWE beating the Nexus at SummerSlam 2010 and Randy Orton retaining the WWE Championship vs. Barrett at Survivor Series 2010), injuries and WWE stupidly stopping his momentum. Remember how WWE stopped him using the "I'm afraid I've got bad news for you!" Barrett had the size and the promo ability. I thought Wasteland was a shitty finish but Barrett upgraded when he used the Bullhammer:

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Good News Everybody

Due to a miraculous coincidence of chronology we're dropping an awesome hour long 1959 French tag next week, by far the longest match we've come across in the archive. 

So there will be far, far superior counter-programming for you guys to escape to.

• Thanks 5

9 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Good News Everybody

Due to a miraculous coincidence of chronology we're dropping an awesome hour long 1959 French tag next week, by far the longest match we've come across in the archive. 

So there will be far, far superior counter-programming for you guys to escape to.

Thank you, @Matt D.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1

Tommasso Ciampa came to the ring wearing something that resembled an MF DOOM mask..

I cannot boo this man.  I don't give a rat's ass what he does.

Fuck Jake Atlas.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Tommasso Ciampa came to the ring wearing something that resembled an MF DOOM mask..

I cannot boo this man.  I don't give a rat's ass what he does.

Fuck Jake Atlas.

It's similar to the mask he wore on the indies.

Also, re Meltzer being jazzed for the match next week, he LOVES NXT and the NXT style. Of course he thinks next Tuesday will be amazing.

I'm of two minds about the main event scene. Up until a year ago we were spoiled because NXT wasn't a "third brand." This meant NXT would have a champion and then they would lose the title and get called up. When they got called up, the next challenger would step up and so on. Unfortunately, for the people getting called up to make room for new challengers, they were utterly wasted on the main roster.

Now that they're a third brand, we have to get used to people not getting called up as much as they used to. So, while that stagnates the main event scene in NXT, it also means that those people aren't going to get destroyed on Raw or SmackDown.

Personally, I think I prefer stagnating the main event scene in favor of these guys not getting buried on the main roster. HOWEVER, it would be nice if it wasn't the same people we've been used to for years now. Ok, fine, include maybe 3 of the 4 guys in that match and maybe someone new. That way you can build new programs instead of most likely having Gargano and Ciampa team up again and then break up again.

I love Adam Cole the most in that match, but I'm hoping Finn wins.

Wade Barrett has a great voice but obviously wasn't very familiar with the product. I don't mind Vic Joseph, but unlike Tom Phillips, I feel like he really needs an analyst who is going provide insight into the match which neither Wade or Beth really did. 

22 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

I'm going to willingly watch an episode of NXT tonight. And it's not because of no AEW. Supposedly this is a one-time deal for Barrett, but hopefully this will turn into something more.

I didn't make it through the whole episode. While it was amazingly great to hear Barrett again, I just couldn't care about the talent being presented (minus Breezango) and that there was no fanfare for his return, just eh.