DVDVR Message Board

AEW Saturday Night Dynamite - 8/22/2020

Dolfan in NYC

That was so fucking bizarre. We were all waiting for the big moment when Cody catches MJF and then he does a weird rambling Rocky promo. Was it the Balboa speech about rainbows? I think that was the one. Such a weird disappointment.

There is not enough love for Anna Jay coming from backstage to choke out Brandi Rhodes to avoid the controversy of a male member of the Dark Order striking a lady. 

I await the recruitment of QT Marshall and Allie into the fold.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, Technico Support said:

A somewhat talented guy who used his brief time in the limelight to get all his friends and family paid and maybe shouldn't have.

That’s all of the EVPs, though. And then those friends and family members have roles that extend to behind the scenes, even if some of them are active wrestlers. Cutler, Daniels, etc. Excalibur isn’t even *just* an announcer, he does the graphic design and whatnot. Matt Jackson’s wife is in control of merch or whatever.

Honestly it feels like ECW or some indie, where everyone does more than one thing. Except it’s bankrolled by a billionaire family, but everything still feels (and largely is) more-or-less DYI style.

• Like 2

I always got a kick out of them being as much of a family business as they can despite their big-time status.  I think it's wonderful as you know it's not a bunch of corporate schmucks doing things but people that know and love each other working to achieve the same mission.

You folks hit the main point but I will say that as much as I missed wrestling on Saturdays I was out drinking beer on a farm (the breweries around here have stepped up their game)  So we ended up catching this Sunday morning which to be honest was kind of weird.  I still loved all that happened but I think I much prefer Dynamite on a Wednesday or for this week Thursday night.  But still how about that Brodie squash?  I sensed as soon as they started about Cody going at a grueling pace that he was likely fucked.  But I at least expected a weak comeback or something.  Nope, they just straight MDKed him.  I love the guy but glad to see he was willing to go that far to establish Brodie and DO.

• Like 2

The show was also delayed by a half hour waiting for the NBA to conclude.  It also went head to head with NBA Playoffs and Takeover XXX.  It's also a weekend.  That's a very strong number and especially in the key demos. 

I was expecting something like 600,000.  AEW has a lot of momentum right now and this was a great show so even better. 

• Like 4

On 8/24/2020 at 2:57 PM, Craig H said:

I'm willing to give Cody the benefit of the doubt for anything he chooses to do because so far almost everything he's done has been good. 

Yeah, the Cody detractors puzzle me.  Big fan here too.  He's had so many good to great matches and angles and interviews.  Very rarely does any of his segments not meet a higher standard or at least a level of good consistency.  Is he paying a sin for the father and all the shitty egomaniacal bookers that preceded him (a ridiculous Jarrett comparison would indicate he is)?  I'd like to think sacrificing himself in the fashion he did on Saturday night proves he's willing to put the company ahead of his assumed 'huge shining star ego'.  Tho, he'd already more than proven that to me well before the Brodie Lee sk-washing.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Yeah, the Cody detractors puzzle me

He's a heel. Until he acts otherwise I will be a repetitive bitch. 

Weird how he got Eddie Kingston all jacked up and had him sing his theme song.

Edited by Jiji