DVDVR Message Board

AEW Saturday Night Dynamite - 8/22/2020

Dolfan in NYC

That closing segment was everything it needed to be. Not just great, dramatic title change / heel beatdown stuff but it adds legitimacy to everybody in that stable.

Now let's get the fucking ball rolling for Brodie Lee vs. Lance Archer at All Out. All-evil clubberfest with a rematch in a cage booked for TV two or three weeks later. Brodie promoing against Jake. Archer in a just-slightly-competitive handicap match against the Beaver Boys.  It'd be hard to mess that up. EDIT: OK, not All Out, the next one.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 4

I wouldn't rush to have Brodie vs. Lance Archer at All Out, but eventually I'd build to it. Just let them destroy their opponents until the eventual Godzilla vs. King Kong clash.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

Does the women's tag team tournament win/loss records count? If so, Ivelisse has become the 4th local talent to win a match. Pleasantly surprised they let her and Diamante win.

Holy crap that main event. That segment was pure awesomeness. Not sure if anyone else noticed, but the velvet bag that Brodie hit Cody with was filled with broken pieces of the original TNT Championship belt.

Also, MIMOSA MAYHEM MATCH, SOMEONE HAS TO TAKE A TANK BUMP.

Edited by The Green Meanie

19 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

Does the women's tag team tournament win/loss records count? If so, Ivelisse has become the 4th local talent to win a match. Pleasantly surprised they let her and Diamante win.

Holy crap that main event. That segment was pure awesomeness. Not sure if anyone else noticed, but the velvet bag that Brodie hit Cody with was filled with broken pieces of the original TNT Championship belt.

Also, MIMOSA MAYHEM MATCH, SOMEONE HAS TO TAKE A TANK BUMP.

Commentary picked up on that. I believe Taz mentioned it.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

That was fantastic. I looked away for a moment and it was over and thought I'd missed the Rowan debut. Nope. Dude took a beating.

If I'm going to be hypercritical, it needed Colt Cabana in shot, perhaps realising how in over his head he was. I think the money angle here is Colt eventually rising up against Brodie to take the title with help from Cody.

I say that because as much as I want to see Archer vs Lee. History tells us dominant heel vs monster heel ends no other way than double DQ.  Realistically that shouldn't change here either.

That was a fun use of Kingston. Nice little call back to Bret reforming the Hart Foundation. 

Ricky Starks looked great. That was an impressive promo. 

For a guy that is largely an enhancement talent, QT Marshall is probably one of the worst sellers consistently on TV. 

• Like 2

Again, I don’t think it can be overstated how good all the BTE reps have been for Brodie’s development. I thought this character was DOA after the first couple of months, but you could see him figuring it out over the summer, and I think they’re pulling the trigger at the right time to catapult him to the next level.  If only they could’ve held off another week until they had fans for this.

• Like 5

Lots of great stuff on this episode. Brodie Lee looked awesome in the main event and the Dark Order finally came off as a threat. That was a real mugging. Hope we get a rematch with a STIP at All Out. 

The Starks/Allin stuff and Thunder Rosa also made my night. I hope Starks wins, he’s really talented and could easily be a main eventer one day. No idea what to make of the Eddie Kingston promo but I loved it. Normally I’d say we don’t need another stable but I’m into all those guys so who am I to judge. That wink could mean anything though so I wouldn’t look for your OG Lucha Butcher Squad shirts just yet.

All Out is shaping up nicely now. If FTR/Omega and Page is added that’s a very solid show.

FWIW, there are allegations on twitter of some pretty extensive re-shoots. Idk how accurate that is, but that would suck for the guy who was supposedly going to debut tonight.

What an episode. I thought the MJF thing came off forced, but I guess it's kinda supposed to. I'm just not as high on him as some others. The 8 man tag was fun. The 6 man was fun, too, but Kenny Omega just isn't my cup of tea.

Ricky Starks is a STAR. It's dripping from him. Add him to the list of "guys/girls who are going to carry this company in 3-5 years" with Allin, Jungle Boy, Page, MJF, and Britt Baker. 

Holy shit what a main event. That was some Rocky 4 shit. 

Eddie Kingston is the tits. AEW has the two best promos in America in him and Moxley. Pretty stark contrast between a dope show like this one and the competition, where their alleged top star of the future was being manhandled by a punter. 

1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

That was a fun use of Kingston. Nice little call back to Bret reforming the Hart Foundation. 

Son of a bitch. You NAILED IT. Didn't even think about that. 

Maybe Rowan comes in as Cody's Frankenstein to face Brodie? It's... very obvious.

• Like 1

It doesn't mean he's backstage at every show, though.

EDIT: But they brought in Smart Mark Sterling as MJF's lawyer or whatever so that's really cool. Create-A-Pro takin' over!

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

I made LONG RAMBLING NOTES during the show again. YOU ARE WELCOME.

Watching the tape delayed TSN broadcast. I spoiled the title change for myself by accidentally opening my main twitter timeline 6 minutes into the show, whoopsie. Can't say I'm actually surprised, it felt like it was a match the bomb could go off in, you know? Makes sense. Brody Lee needs to look strong more than Cody right now.

The best part of MJF's promo was the lady in his group constantly faking that smile he's demanded she fakes while he's talking about how injured he is. I was fucking dying when her smile got bigger when he nearly cried. Really nice touch.

I was already a fan of them teaming up Lucha Bros and Butcher & Blade, and now Eddie Kingston might be in too? Yes please. I know some people think stables are overdone but this is a group I am all in on if it's happening. 

I thought Jericho was joking at first about having basically a dunk tank match. Reserving judgment on that one until I see it for myself, but doesn't sound super enthusing to me. This segment didn't quite hit the mark for me.

Did they seriously just let FTR talk on the same show where we already saw Moxley, MJF, and Jericho already promo? Lead balloon. Why are they saddling Tully with the most boring shit and then not letting him be what he is? FTR were fine in the ring earlier in the show and kept it tight with Private Party, but I don't care about them on the mic. Like, not even a little.

Will Hobbs/Darby Allen was fun while it lasted. I am actually really looking forward to Ricky Starks/Darby. That might be one hell of a match, very curious to see what they come up with. This was way better than the champagne thing earlier in the show.

Coming back from break to Matt Hardy threatening to enter his Onita phase with Sammy Guevara. I am looking forward to these two trying to kill each other as well.

The women's cup final was better than I feared, Nightmare Sisters did about as well as they can at this stage of their development. I didn't see any spot calling going on despite running through planned sequences. I very highly suspect they let them rehearse this match in advance to try and smooth it over a bit. If so, it worked. The right team went over in the end. Can't really complain about how this worked out, they got a couple interesting new talents in for the tourney and they got out of the final without it being a mess despite having one of the weakest in-ring combos they have in there. Highly suspect we're getting a women's Youtube show in the near future.

Main event was actually quite good. Genuinely a surprising rare title match squash. I love the way they decided to go with this. Cody had a good run with the belt which I personally enjoyed, and in the end he couldn't have put Brody Lee over any stronger. I am on board with this. Then Dark Order kicks the shit out of Arn Anderson after the match giving them some actual fucking menace for once. I thought this was the best overall segment on the show and it wasn't even close.

• Like 3

so, Matt/Sammy is clearly heading towards a TLC match it seems, to me anyway. I wonder what they'll call the AEW version, I'm sure WWE somehow has a trademark on just "Tables, Ladders & Chairs".