DVDVR Message Board

AEW Saturday Night Dynamite - 8/22/2020

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, A_K said:

Funny you mention that, as I was watching a few WCW PPVs from that late 97/early 98 period and yeah its exactly what came to mind as DO done well - at least in its creative essence. Flock was pretty serious & very understated at the beginning with Raven as the stoic observer in the crowd then leaping the rail to get shit done, it just fell by the wayside further along with some dubious or under-developed talent involved. DO will never be an NWO but if they capture that grungey, cunning violence sans silliness then it can be v effective of course.

Where is Sickboy when you need him?

• Haha 1

I’m hoping that Diamonte and Ivelisse are signed after this. Their match with The Nightmare Sisters was decent enough and they’ve already got the a bad ass vibe that is missing from the division. 

Thunder Rosa vs Shida should be great. Her presence was a welcome surprise. 

I liked the execution of Brodie Lee/Cody. I hope this gives the Dark Order a bit of the serious and edge they've been needing for a while but kind of missing. Also, great job having Brodie Lee deliver the shattered prototype belt to Cody in pieces. 

Opening tag was sick! Dax and Cash just manhandling the guys with those chin locks and head locks like "oh, you're too lazy to sell this? I'll learn ya!" Loved it, and that spinebuster holy shit! Lots of potatoes in the opener, enjoyed it tremendously 

Jericho having a video announcing a match before OC even agreed was hilarious but the beatdown was great

Dustin looked like he got jumped into a gang the way the bad guys all tore into him over and over. One moment where he rolls to the outside and raises his hand like he asking for mercy? Tremendous selling. That wink from Kingston! Fucking hyped for wherever this leads

Womens tag, loved bits and pieces, could tighten it up in some spots but not bad

Wish we could have had somebody beat the snot out of Marko this weak. Swear Jungle Boy better ease up on those suicide dives, he and Darby look about ready to cripple themselves on a fluke dive with the momentum they build up on those dives?

Cody getting beaten to shit was the best. Brodie put a king sized beatdown on him and that attack on Cody on the stretcher was the cherry on top.

The crowd shots for Cody getting killed and pinned were just perfection! Whenever Mox gets taken down and drops the title I hope he does as great a sell job as Cody here, the shockwave of Cody being pinned just tore through the crowd and I'd love seeing the reaction whenever its Moxleys time to eat the 3. And let him actually get pinned whenever his time comes up and not some kinda pass out in a submission type finish?

So we're getting a Rocky 1-3 story with Cody letting the title go to his head, with Brodie Lee as Clubber Lang just fucking Cody up and forcing him to figure his shit out?  I like that.  It's a good, simple story.  I missed the part where Brodie told Brandi to come back to his apartment to experience a real man.  Was that on BTE?  All that was missed was Double A having a heart attack.  "DON'T DIE MICK!"  I'll take back most of the mean things I've said about Cody if he comes back as a pure babyface, humbled by his ass whuppin', ready to dispatch hot babyface vengeance.  More mid-80s Dusty than late 80s Dusty, please.

Holy fuck that Moxley promo was good.  And MJF's kayfabe lawyer is a better promo than he is, which is not great.

Kingston lining up dudes to be his crew was awesome.

Despite one or two wonky spots, that six man was awesome.  Reynolds and Silver brought it and Angels is pretty good even if I can't get past him looking like Bizarro World El Generico. I like the DO's gear, how each guy's number is incorporated into their name on their tights ("R3ynolds," "Sil4er").  Does Angels have "Angel5" on his?  Loving the progress of Kenny losing his mind.

+10 points for FTR trying to manipulate Page.  -200 for the whole promo package overall and semi-nonsensical addition of Tully.  I need to see Page not be a fool and decide these guys are full of shit, get back to his real friends, and kick these dudes' asses for even assuming they could fool him.

I hope Jericho/Cassidy 3 ends in a pin or submission with the mimosa shit happening after.  It would be lame to have this cool feud end with a dunk.

Did we reach pants-free JR territory with Will Hobbs?  All I could think of was JR posthumously putting the Watts belt on him within 5 seconds of laying eyes on him.  Fun match and nice extracurriculars.  Ricky Starks fucking has it.

Whoever said that QT should be done in the ring and just coach is spot on.  Free up some roster space.  Keep Dustin as a special attraction, too.  He's lost a few steps.  Time to get some new, younger guys going.

Glad to see Diamante and Ivalise get the win.  They need new talent in the division and this was a good way to get these two going.  Thunder Rosa is absolutely necessary as a Band Aid right now as they get the division together.

Free dental care for a year for a British dude?  Baker is going to lose her ass on that deal.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

So we're getting a Rocky 1-3 story with Cody letting the title go to his head, with Brodie Lee as Clubber Lang just fucking Cody up and forcing him to figure his shit out?  I like that.  It's a good, simple story. 

Yeah. They made a point of showing Cody go straight to Brodie at the beginning of the bout, playing into his hands. Presumably next time he will stick-and-move. The storyline can play out well independently but if the EVP of the company and presumably total wrestling mark (I mean, that's the vibe he has always given off, and why wouldn't he given how submerged in the industry his family is? Its completely understandable) writes himself as a Rocky Balboa-esque character then it would be incredibly, incredibly trite & hackneyed. I really hope they take it in another direction.

Edited by A_K
  • Thanks 1

On 8/23/2020 at 12:39 PM, Andy in Kansas said:

Jericho's been soaked inside and out in booze for decades. Falling into an oversized cocktail should have no real effect.

I was gonna say, they should have made it a Grey Goose match so there might actually be some consequences. Like, Jericho turns as red as Shane McMahon or something.

1 hour ago, A_K said:

Its completely understandable) writes himself as a Rocky Balboa-esque character then it would be incredibly, incredibly trite & hackneyed. I really hope they take it in another direction.

100% this. Can't agree more. 

29 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Funny, I'd rather see Cody as the whitest meat of whitemeat babyfaces, so long as he's not booked as the company's top guy, than I would as a a heel leading the 2,873rd remake of the Four Horsemen. 

I don't think it needs to be an either/or scenario but its more the idea of one of the bosses being written as valiant all conquering hero. For that to happen it has to be at someone else's expense, who wouldnt be one of the bosses. If he was just a standard talent it'd sit fine and perhaps the thing to do is watch it ignoring the influence he holds over production of the show. But hey this is all way down the line anyway so let's see how they play it.

18 hours ago, Hayabusa said:

Cody getting beaten to shit was the best. Brodie put a king sized beatdown on him and that attack on Cody on the stretcher was the cherry on top.

Yeah, we were comparing that to CONTRA's debut in MLW where Jacob Fatu moonsaulted onto some poor jobber that was in the process of being stretchered out of the ring.

I also recall Sid Vicious beating the shit out of a guy that was being stretchered out when he first started working WWE.  IIRC he kicked the gurney over while the EMTs were moving up the ramp and headed backstage.

Instant heel heat.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, A_K said:

I don't think it needs to be an either/or scenario but its more the idea of one of the bosses being written as valiant all conquering hero. For that to happen it has to be at someone else's expense, who wouldnt be one of the bosses. If he was just a standard talent it'd sit fine and perhaps the thing to do is watch it ignoring the influence he holds over production of the show. But hey this is all way down the line anyway so let's see how they play it.

Well that's why I said "as long as he's not booked as the top guy."  I agree with everything you wrote in that regard.  Neither the Bucks nor Kenny are top guys.  If Cody is booked as an upper mid card babyface, a popular gatekeeper, just below the top face but never that guy, that's cool.  He can be Magnum.  He can be Denzel's friend, just never Denzel.

AEW has a pretty smart fanbase.  I don't think they'd stand for Cody becoming NWA-TNA Jeff Jarrett.

• Like 1

Guys, I'm starting to think Arn Anderson's not a very good coach. During that match with Brodie, he just repeatedly put his hands on top of his head and looked upset, wasn't yelling encouragement or offering advice or anything. I think after Covid, Cody should downsize most/all of Nightmare Family. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, caley said:

Guys, I'm starting to think Arn Anderson's not a very good coach. During that match with Brodie, he just repeatedly put his hands on top of his head and looked upset, wasn't yelling encouragement or offering advice or anything. I think after Covid, Cody should downsize most/all of Nightmare Family. 

I mean I don't want to shit on Dustin but I was pretty spot on when I called Cody, walking to the ring with an entourage full of people just happy to have jobs because of him, the MC Hammer of AEW.  ?  A somewhat talented guy who used his brief time in the limelight to get all his friends and family paid and maybe shouldn't have.

Holy shit if this Rocky story leads to the Nightmare Family abandoning him because he's no longer the champ, that would be some booking right there.  This is some E True Hollywood Story shit.  I need to see the Cody redemption story where he stops with the suits, brings back his natural hair color, and starts fighting because it's all he has left.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

They already did Cody as Rocky on BTE. When he heard MJF talking shit behind his back and he did a speech from Rocky V I think.

• Haha 1