DVDVR Message Board

AEW Saturday Night Dynamite - 8/22/2020

Dolfan in NYC

1 minute ago, EVA said:

The leaked spoilers have been way off the mark so far btw, besides accurately guessing Thunder Rosa’s debut (but getting the circumstances of it wrong).

LOL Somebody planted fake spoilers.

Oh my fucking God, that MJF promo with the neck brace! It's everything I wanted. He's so good. And Nina smiling in the background like she's the Ba Sing Se press secretary. 

Dustin looks past it, sadly. He hasn't had a good outing in a while. More likely, he just doesn't have the athleticism to fit in these spotfests. I'm sure he'd do fine in a slower paced match built around storytelling and selling. But yeah, this team with Marshall needs to end and Marshall should be a trainer and Cody's assistant again. Way too many talented people on the roster for this. Kingston is incredible on the mic, always. Penta/Fenix needed some direction, so hopefully being with Kingston provides that. I don't think this group has a tonne of legs though and it definitely feels like something for them to do until Pac comes back. The wink. 

I like a good spotfest but there were too many in a row here.

I don't think Pac would join a group with a mouthpiece because he's too good of a talker and a total alpha character.

That segment with FTR & Page was great even if the way Marvez described the tag title scene in a super convoluted way. Love the storytelling here.

Holy shit, Starks' impression of Darby was hilarious. He's so good on the mic and his presence is his excellent. Screams star. AEW has so many young talented wrestlers, it's fucking awesome and we're going to see them grow up on screen.

Thunder Rosa! The spoilers were true (wait... does that mean?! ?). Fuck yeah. Oh and at All Out too! I love it. That has me pumped. PLEEEEEASE STICK AROUND. PUHLEEEASE. 

Luther looking on casually with the stupid face paint on in the crowd cracks me up. 

Women's tag cup final could've been worse but what the fuck is going on here with the alignments of the Nightmare people? I get that the idea is that Marshall is smitten with Allie but they haven't done enough of that and it feels weird. 

Cody fencing after the match, lol. That was certainly an interesting way of going about the main event. I like it. Can't have this dude lose too many big matches without being a total dork.

Tony rocking the Sketchers with the suit, such a dad. Love it.

The pacing of this show felt like a 2019 episode of Dynamite with too much going on, everything being a bit rushed, and a general lack of cohesion. That's not good. Like a bunch of ideas that may seem good individually but going from spotfest to spotfest and beatdown to beatdown... They were so good at laying shows out this year. This seemed a stumble with them trying to fit way too much in 2 hours. Both shows ended with Dork Order standing tall, though I didn't have a problem with it this time.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Jiji said:

The pacing of this show felt like a 2019 episode of Dynamite with too much going on, everything being a bit rushed, and a general lack of cohesion. That's not good. Like a bunch of ideas that may seem good individually but going from spotfest to spotfest and beatdown to beatdown... They were so good at laying shows out this year. This seemed a stumble with them trying to fit way too much in 2 hours. Both shows ended with Dork Order standing tall, though I didn't have a problem with it this time.

If DO evolved into a genuinely vicious & violent mob of social undesirables it'd probably ride OK. Having a bunch of middled aged dudes goof around in cosplay, not so much. I remember being a kid & genuinely being sickened by RTC and how it felt they could take down even top-card stars by sheer numbers .. take it in that direction.

Yeah Starks is great. Given how awkward so many look when they've got spotlight on them as singles-stars he really shines for his poise and how totally chill he is.

Also Lee should just keep that jacknife as a finisher and complete the transition into angry/athletic Nash.

Edited by A_K

3 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Holy shit, Starks' impression of Darby was hilarious. He's so good on the mic and his presence is his excellent. Screams star.

Yeah that was great. And I missed the turtles thing above, holy shit. Kid is a talent. 

This was kinda just a show but it had a great finish. Just wish instead of superkicks Brodie just wasted him with lariats over and over.

• Like 1

I don't know any more about Kingston than what I've seen on Dynamite but he looks like the most charismatic scumbag in history. Moar plz.

The NWA women's champion looks pretty hot.

Thank you Cody for dying for our entertainment. 

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 2