DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 16: Munhoz vs. Edgar (8/22/2020) - Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Elsalvajeloco

Mike Rodriguez is one of those guys who has all the physical tools to be a great light heavyweight, but just a bit too inconsistent. However, he will mop up all the fighters who aren't on his level.

That was a damn fun fight. I was worried about how Frankie was gonna deal with Munhoz's power early, but he didn't seem that phased by it. He got his leg destroyed, but he's probably use to it by now. Close, close fight.

What have Longo/Serra done to my girl? They massacred her skills. She was never a great athlete but she looked so slow. They're telling her she's got a speed advantage? Fuck outta here. Lemos' speed was something else.

7 minutes ago, Jiji said:

What have Longo/Serra done to my girl? They massacred her skills. She was never a great athlete but she looked so slow. They're telling her she's got a speed advantage? Fuck outta here. Lemos' speed was something else.

Maybe Ray Longo not being there played a role...I dunno. Lemos aka Thiago Santos' sister just looked bigger and stronger. Keep in mind, she came into the UFC as a bantamweight. Her (her being Mizuki) first round was very lethargic, but she had a better round 2 and 3. However, she showed no sense of urgency or aggression. When you're fighting the best girls at strawweight, that's going to make all the difference in the world.

• Like 1

Just caught up on this, some crazy fights / moments on what looked like an underwhelming card.

- D Rodriguez hanging in there and getting the win was incredible. You could see how out of it he was when the Doctor was checking on him.

- Agapova burning herself out. Not going to lie I popped huge for Dobson getting the win there.

- M Rodriguez has ruined Indy wrestling forearm / elbows for me forever. That was a great shot

- Villanueva’s cut in the prelims was nasty. Loved the Docs stone cold “we’re done here”. Brutal knees from Wright.

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

http://mmadecisions.com/decision/11241/Frankie-Edgar-vs-Pedro-Munhoz

Haven't watched Edgar/Munhoz yet. Find it interesting that most of the media scored it in Munhoz's favour yet two out of the three actual judges gave Edgar the win via split decision.

I'll be interested in seeing what you think. My take is that Frankie stayed busy the entire fight landing that nasty double jab that he does so well. Munhoz seemingly destroyed his legs, but you really didn't see any evidence of it until Rd #5 and after the fight. The dude won't be walking right for at least a week. The thing is that Frankie is so quick and controls the Octagon so well, you have to catch him and take it to the ground and even that can be very problematic. Munhoz seemed dedicated to the idea that he could catch him with a big bomb and end it. Thing is, the few times that he did nail it, Frankie backed off, regained composure and went right back to the double jab.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AxB said:

Great show, up until the main event. 

Are you talking UFC or Bellator? I thought the UFC main was lights out great. If that's what you meant, I'd be interested in hearing why you didn't think so. I tend not to bother with Bellator, I realize that once in awhile I miss a great fight, but I've been burned too many times by their tendency to book has-beens and never-was fighters.

25 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Are you talking UFC or Bellator? I thought the UFC main was lights out great. If that's what you meant, I'd be interested in hearing why you didn't think so. I tend not to bother with Bellator, I realize that once in awhile I miss a great fight, but I've been burned too many times by their tendency to book has-beens and never-was fighters.

With that one undercard fight where the guy got totally destroyed in round one and looked like death getting off his stool for the second, they had tweets on the screen saying 10-8 round, and I was like "Why are you scoring? There's no way they're going the distance". And indeed it finished in the second. Whereas Frankie Edgar doesn't do the style of fight where he gets destroyed and comes back any more. Now he's a 1-2, 1-1-2, 1-1, 1-2-1 and repeat guy. It's impressive that he can impose that style on basically everyone and never be in a wild brawl. But he made his name on wild craziness and seeing him consistently eschew the Blood and Mayhem style now makes him a different fighter than the exciting lunatic I used to like.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

With that one undercard fight where the guy got totally destroyed in round one and looked like death getting off his stool for the second, they had tweets on the screen saying 10-8 round, and I was like "Why are you scoring? There's no way they're going the distance". And indeed it finished in the second. Whereas Frankie Edgar doesn't do the style of fight where he gets destroyed and comes back any more. Now he's a 1-2, 1-1-2, 1-1, 1-2-1 and repeat guy. It's impressive that he can impose that style on basically everyone and never be in a wild brawl. But he made his name on wild craziness and seeing him consistently eschew the Blood and Mayhem style now makes him a different fighter than the exciting lunatic I used to like.

That was the one fight that I missed, though it sounds like I didn't miss much. Yeah, Frankie at 38 isn't much like Frankie at 28, and while he may not be as exciting a fighter, he is worlds better now.

I was passing out because I watched it last after all the basketball and AEW, but it looked a very good technical fight. I have no idea how to score it because I was barely conscious for it, but it looked like Edgar with frequency vs. Munhoz with power/quality, though Frankie had better footwork. 

3 hours ago, Jiji said:

I was passing out because I watched it last after all the basketball and AEW, but it looked a very good technical fight. I have no idea how to score it because I was barely conscious for it, but it looked like Edgar with frequency vs. Munhoz with power/quality, though Frankie had better footwork. 

If the split had gone to Munhoz, it wouldn't have been a total miscarriage, it was a very difficult fight to score and for me basically came down to "who was better at imposing their will" and the scales tipped ever so slightly to Frankie.

wow, another example of a card that was devoid of name value but delivered great action in spades!

14 hours ago, AxB said:

Great show, up until the main event. 

this was more or less my thoughts as well.

9 hours ago, OSJ said:

I thought the UFC main was lights out great. If that's what you meant, I'd be interested in hearing why you didn't think so.

i watched the entire card, but skipped on the main event after about a round and a half. Frankie Edgar does less than zero for me. After watching what i did, i knew it was going to decision. i just don't find his fights interesting.  I can appreciate that he is skilled and technical, but he seems almost incapable of having a fight that really delivers emotionally. It's always a very very close fight, and comes down to whether you score more for volume and pressure or big shots and damage. been there, seen that.

You ever wonder what absolutely awful music Agapova has in her head when she's doing that dance of hers? I bet it still playing in her head when she's on the attack. Does it stop when she gets rocked?

Agapova reminds me of Maximo Blanco. By that, I mean fighting with so much frenetic energy. Sadly, Maximo's UFC run was pretty bad if my memory serves me correctly. He also couldn't punt people like the rules permitted in Japan.