DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 16: Munhoz vs. Edgar (8/22/2020) - Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Elsalvajeloco

EfpCYr6U4AE0b8s.jpeg?1597692419

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 16: Munhoz vs. Edgar 
August 22, 2020
Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Pedro Munhoz (136) vs. Frankie Edgar (135.5) - Edgar, DEC (split)
Marcin Prachnio (205.5) vs. Mike Rodriguez (205.5) - Rodriguez, TKO (strikes), R1 (2:17)
Austin Hubbard (156) vs. Joe Solecki (155.5) - Solecki, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (3:51)
Mariya Agapova (125.5)  vs. Shana Dobson (126) - Dobson, TKO (punches), R2 (1:38)
Daniel Rodriguez (170.5) vs. Dwight Grant (169.5) - Rodriguez, KO (punch), R1 (2:24)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Amanda Lemos (115.5) vs. Mizuki Inoue (115.5) - Lemos, DEC (unanimous)
Isaac Villanueva (205.5) vs. Jordan Wright (200) - Wright, TKO (doctor stoppage), R1 (1:31)
Carlton Minus (170) vs. Matthew Semelsberger (170) - Semelsberger, DEC (unanimous)
Timur Valiev (140) vs. Trevin Jones (139.5) - No Contest (Overturned Due to Positive Marijuana Test)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Trevin Jones
Performance of the Night: Shana Dobson
Fight of the Night: Pedro Munhoz vs. Frankie Edgar

Rating: 869,000 viewers

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Let's fucking go Mizuki Inoue. I don't remember Daniel Rodriguez if I've seen him fight. He beat Tim Means so probably seen him just no recollection. Sato is pretty fun though.

Prachnio/Rodriguez being on a main card with only four fights is hella sad. 

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

Let's fucking go Mizuki Inoue. I don't remember Daniel Rodriguez if I've seen him fight. He beat Tim Means so probably seen him just no recollection. Sato is pretty fun though.

Prachnio/Rodriguez being on a main card with only four fights is hella sad. 

I don't think the main card is finished. Maybe it is, but Tapology lists the Agapova/Dodson fight on the main card and UFC.com doesn't. I'm guessing it will be a 5 or 6 fight main card per usual, and they haven't finalized it yet.

this card looks like it has negative star power. #5 Munhoz vs Edgar making his BW debut is the only thing remotely close. it's an intriguing enough matchup, but to headline a card with nothing else? yikes. unless there's a huge contingent of OSP fans i don't know about. ?

• Like 1

Yeah, I was kind of shocked this was an ESPN card and not ESPN+. Is Frankie Edgar a draw in 2020 after getting bounced around a bunch the past few years? I feel like he's a loss away from retirement. Or at least I hope he is. I don't need to see a washed Edgar get slept four times in a row before he figures it out. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Yeah, I was kind of shocked this was an ESPN card and not ESPN+. Is Frankie Edgar a draw in 2020 after getting bounced around a bunch the past few years? I feel like he's a loss away from retirement. Or at least I hope he is. I don't need to see a washed Edgar get slept four times in a row before he figures it out. 

Same and I'm a big fan of Frankie Edgar. Something that he's making his Bantamweight bow now. However fighters think about moving up or down a weight class as a fresh start. When the Answer was robbed in his second fight to Benson Henderson for the UFC Lightweight Championship and was moving a weight class, we thought it would be Bantamweight not Featherweight.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I feel like Edgar is a more talented, determined, and less risk averse Benson Henderson (who fell off a cliff). Too many times has he tried to squeak out a victory on points and been burned then bitched about it. He's fine. I'm not much of a fan. Maybe that's harsh but I still don't want to see a dude suffer long term serious health problems from holding on too long and not figuring out the sport has moved on. 

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

Yeah, I was kind of shocked this was an ESPN card and not ESPN+. 

Well, since you follow the NBA, you know all the regular bubble games are over. TNT has the first two games on Saturday, then ESPN has one, and the last game is on ABC.'

BTW this card was originally Yoel Romero vs. Uriah Hall and Waterson vs. Hill (along w/ OSP vs. his original opponent Shamil Gazmatov). They also tried to get Woodley vs. Covington on this card but that got made for later. Then, Romero got hurt. Waterson vs. Hill got moved to 9/12. I believe the next fight up was Munhoz vs. Edgar. So the card will at least have a pretty good lead in of Rockets vs. Thunder on ESPN.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jiji said:

That sucks. Sato not being cleared is concerning.

I'm thinking that might be a weight cutting related issue. Hopefully.

With that said, the main card is set with Agapova vs. Dobson added.