DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2013: WEEK 9

Dolfan in NYC

I hate my life.  We draft a kicker, and he SUCKS!!!  Now Kubiak's in the hospital, stupid penalties gifting away free points, ridiculous review call taking away a Andre Johnson first down, etc.  I know the rule says you're supposed to complete the catch down to the ground, but how long is that supposed to last?  When he goes down in bounds?  When he slides out of bounds?  When he's flat on his back waiting for the DB to get off of him?  It's a terrible rule.

Case looks like the real deal.  I just fucking hate Andrew Luck.  Texans left 12 points off the scoreboard.  Three missed field goals and another attempted 4th down because we have no confidence in Bullock.  If we had a basic kicker we win going away.

I think NFL history has proven young QBs struggle when there's constant change at OC. Remember Arians was with Peyton for three whole years at the start of his career. Believe me, I never thought I'd say this but the Steelers haven't been the same since he "retired" and Indy is definitely missing him.Somewhat relatedly, I hope it's nothing serious for Kubiak. Foremost I'd never wish ill upon anybody. But secondarily, the last thing we need is for Houston to go on a late season tear under the watchful eye of Wade Phillips. The NFL just came to grips with the fact he's a shit head coach, no need to dissuade them of that realization.

You're right about young QBs but obviously you can't apply that to Luck because he's been great in each if his first two years. I'm not going to disagree with you on Wade Phillips but I will point out how Parcells is talked about as some sort of football deity even amongst Cowboys fans and Wades run as Dallas head coach shits all over what Parcells accomplished in Dallas.

This looks like fun.  Someone who may be Richie Incognito's father is claiming that Jonathan Martin is a drug-user who has tried to commit suicide thrice while asking people to pray that the Dolphins' GM and coach die of AIDS.  Meanwhile, it sounds like Martin has text messages from Incognito that are described as "racially charged threats".  Is this entertainingly disturbing or disturbingly entertaining?

It's a whole sports culture where veterans are abusing their power over rookies. 

Incognito sounds like every bit the dickhead that JBL was in WWE's locker room - a stooge who preys on weak-minded individuals that are too afraid to stand up for themselves because it might cost them their job.

http://deadspin.com/report-richie-incognito-played-main-role-in-bullying-j-1457200127

There's a lot more to this story than has been reported thus far, but I look forward to the example they're going to make of him.

It's a whole sports culture where veterans are abusing their power over rookies. 

Incognito sounds like every bit the dickhead that JBL was in WWE's locker room - a stooge who preys on weak-minded individuals that are too afraid to stand up for themselves because it might cost them their job.

http://deadspin.com/report-richie-incognito-played-main-role-in-bullying-j-1457200127

There's a lot more to this story than has been reported thus far, but I look forward to the example they're going to make of him.

I have no idea what you're talking about.  

Posted Image

Richie Incognito is a good upstanding citizen. This kitten is wearing a sweater. 

If this was any other person on the Dolphins it probably would have gotten pushed aside as Martin being a complete wimp/loser with no respect for himself.  But since Incognito is one of the most hated guy in the NFL then it carries some weight

Bullying of rookies has been happening forever.  If you are a rookie in the NFL and has never done anything less than being told to sing the school's fight song to anybody, you must be the greatest player ever.

Rookie hazing is typically heaviest in training camp and then tapers off as the season progresses. It typically amounts to stupid haircuts, getting your head shaven, carrying equipment, having a bad seat on the plane, having to sleep in dorm rooms at training camp, getting a crappy locker spot in the locker room or paying for one team meal (generally in the $2,000 range). General inconvenience stuff, but nothing too serious, which should foster some form of bonding between teammates. 

When the Celtics were on that 'Association' reality show on NBA TV, the big rookie hazing shown onscreen was that a rookie was in charge of bringing peanut butter, jelly and bread to the arena every day when they were on the road. That's more in line with what hazing should be - giving new guys stupid inconvenient chores. It taught responsibility on the road, and gave the veterans a way to hold him accountable for his actions off-court. 

The stuff going on in Miami sounds like it involves large sums of money being extorted, racial slurs and other threats that don't appear to be doing much more than allowing some POS to feel like he can swing his dick. Can't wait to see how Joe Philbin tries to side-step his fault in all of this.

If this was any other person on the Dolphins it probably would have gotten pushed aside as Martin being a complete wimp/loser with no respect for himself.  But since Incognito is one of the most hated guy in the NFL then it carries some weight

Bullying of rookies has been happening forever.  If you are a rookie in the NFL and has never done anything less than being told to sing the school's fight song to anybody, you must be the greatest player ever.

Posted Image

Rookie hazing is typically heaviest in training camp and then tapers off as the season progresses. It typically amounts to stupid haircuts, getting your head shaven, carrying equipment, having a bad seat on the plane, having to sleep in dorm rooms at training camp, getting a crappy locker spot in the locker room or paying for one team meal (generally in the $2,000 range). General inconvenience stuff, but nothing too serious, which should foster some form of bonding between teammates. 

When the Celtics were on that 'Association' reality show on NBA TV, the big rookie hazing shown onscreen was that a rookie was in charge of bringing peanut butter, jelly and bread to the arena every day when they were on the road. That's more in line with what hazing should be - giving new guys stupid inconvenient chores. It taught responsibility on the road, and gave the veterans a way to hold him accountable for his actions off-court. 

The stuff going on in Miami sounds like it involves large sums of money being extorted, racial slurs and other threats that don't appear to be doing much more than allowing some POS to feel like he can swing his dick. Can't wait to see how Joe Philbin tries to side-step his fault in all of this.

Posted Image

Harassing people over text messaging/the internet is doubly stupid because you just have to know in 2013 there's a record of it sitting on a hard drive somewhere. Apparently the NFL also has hold of Incognito's voice mails he's been sending the guy, and yeah... this isn't going to end well.

This is FAR worse than Cooper, bad as that was.  Cooper's stupidity was at a concert, while drunk, and not sent via text message to the security guard who denied him access to the stage.  Cooper also had the advantage of being of some use to the Eagles and had no racial priors.

Incognito has a long history of being a jerk, has been basically kicked off a team already, did this directly to and toward a teammate, and he helped destroy whatever goodwill was in the Dolphins' locker room. Even if he's of some use, who wants him?  And Cooper didn't harass another employee.  Incognito will be an after-thought. If he isn't finished, then I'll stand corrected and be shocked as hell.