DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 8/19/2020

John from Cincinnati

I would say it's disappointing considering NXT has had main events (Lee/Cole and Sasha/Io) that went up over 900,000 viewers vs. AEW and this go home show for Takeover XXX with zero competition barely cracked 850,000.  

I'm guessing the younger demos of AEW did not cross over for the week.  I haven't seen the charts. 

NXT finished 23rd on the chart.  It lost to NBA/political coverage but also a Lifetime movie and Real Housewives among a couple other things. 

The main thing I took away from looking at this is it didn't even equal what AEW does in 18-49 on a night where both programs are running.  So that answers the question,  did the younger AEW viewers cross over,   the answer is nah..

18 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Burning Powerslam

You know, I betcha the Steiners did that more than a few times to people...

I remember Ludvig Borga doing something to Rick Steiner off the top rope at Survivor Series '93 that ended with Rick landing on his neck. I was 13 at the time and legit thought I'd just watched someone die in the ring for about 10 seconds.

• Like 1

Some thought:

With Gargano and Holland we saw the ONLY story worth telling in pro wrestling and that story is "Holy fuck! He landed straight on his goddamned head! How can he still be alive?" Actually, that's just joke I've telling my friends over the years, but that was pretty much the textbook example that should always accompany the said joke in the future. I wonder if Gargano is actually OK, or will this come back to haunt him in the future?

Anyway, just like that the ladder match became something else than a showcase for up and comers. And just like that, Ridge Holland is nothing special. That's not cool! Anyway, if Grimes, Bronson or Priest walk away with the title, I'd be fine with any one of them.

Legado six man was nifty, Wylde makes an effort to look extra cool as far as his fashion choices are concerned. Not that I know what passes for "cool fashion" these days, I just know they probably don't call it that.

Reina...erm Raquel Gonzales is getting into amazing shape! The surprise return could mean trouble for Io. Kai will end up as champion, but I'm not sure if it will happen yet. Be that as it may, Gonzales will challenge for the title too, eventually. I just don't know the champion could be at that point? Anyway, Kai beat Jessie, who changed her character already, since the last time I saw her.

I'm really glad Aliyah is getting something to do. Being anywhere near Mercedes will give her credibility she has not had before. Even if Martinez does the heavy lifting, she can be in her spotlight, as a goofy side-kick, along with Stone! That powerbomb, tho! Shotzi kissing the retreaved helmet before the match was heart- warming.

As Turk128 said, McAfee SHOULD probably be a manager of sorts and only get in the ring once in a blue moon to get annihilated. I think he's a douche, but that was one hell of a promo! The problem is: Now he will have to DIE at Takeover for Adam Cole not look like a complete wimp! What if Bam Bam Bigelow and Lawrence Taylor would have their roles reversed at WM XI? LT going over ended Bigelow in the WWF as is, imagine if LT pulled that kind of punk-card on Bigelow and still beat Bam Bam like he did? This needs to look like Bret Hart vs Will Sasso (in terms of McAfee's offence level), but on the other hand, I want Pat to pull out all the stops, if this is a one-time deal.

I remember when the rumors of WWE's interest on Killer Kross started surfacing, somebody said that there's no way WWE will let Kross be like The Undertaker, and yet, somehow here we are! Taker's first ascend to the top was fast, but this may be even faster (inflation-adjustment notwithstanding)! I will be surprised if Lee retains, but he will be the first one to make Kross actually sell offence.

VD (seems appropriate way to descibe him) is SO lucky there are no fans in the arena right now! They had absolutely no choice but to turn him (since they deem him to be too valuable of an investment to be canned), because there's no damn way people would cheer him at this point.

The match was good for what it was with everyone getting involved. Thatcher vs Finn will be something, but it definitely isn't Thatcher vs Dunne!

On 8/21/2020 at 8:40 AM, Shartnado said:

I remember when the rumors of WWE's interest on Killer Kross started surfacing, somebody said that there's no way WWE will let Kross be like The Undertaker, and yet, somehow here we are! Taker's first ascend to the top was fast, but this may be even faster (inflation-adjustment notwithstanding)!

The last guy was Wyatt but he did his own thing so might as well try it with someone else. I was so out of the loop that Kross was a complete surprise for me, totally dig it.

They could always rip off The Court of Owls storyline later on too (since he's an owl in the titantron?).