DVDVR Message Board

2020 NBA PLAYOFFS: OCTOFINALS

Dolfan in NYC

19 minutes ago, supremebve said:

They are a union, they can absolutely legally strike.  

The CBA has no strike language in it, so I guess they technically can't until it expires, at least not without breaching the contract

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Well if you didn't want to make an impact this is how you do it.  Those cops and other cops in the future are escatic knowing nobody will remember this in a month

Going home wouldn't make an impact either.  Their employer can't force social change, and if Lebron and co. go home, they give up the stage and everyone forgets about them once they quit making headlines.   Walkouts make a point, but, in doing so, you give up your platform.   Pro athletes can reach more people if they stay in the spotlight.  

Walkouts also alienate people.  Right now, I think the country needs unity above all else (obviously most Americans disagree.  Or just can't help themselves from getting all their issues out in the open).  If we can't get the virus under control, society burns and we all have shit, meaningless lives.  Granted, that's equality of a sort, but not the sort anyone is hoping for.

21 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I want to see what the players and ownership have come up with to help further the cause before I pass judgment on the playoffs continuing. I hope that the leadership of the union has gotten some promises in writing from the owners.

I agree.  The trouble is that not playing is picking fights with the people who would be their most powerful allies.  Even if the owners do nothing more than they're already doing, they're closer to the side of right than most bosses.  NBA owners have shown a willingness to work with the players on this type of thing, and I don't know if starting a labor war would be the best option at this point.  

7 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

The CBA has no strike language in it, so I guess they technically can't until it expires, at least not without breaching the contract

From the National Labor act:

Nothing in this Act, except as specifically provided for herein, shall be construed so as either to interfere with or impede or diminish in any way the right to strike, or to affect the limitations or qualifications on that right.

You are legally allowed to strike, and nothing is allowed to impede on that right.  With that said, there could and most likely would be huge ramifications to the current collective bargaining agreement.    

• Like 2

It's gonna be really funny after the players jumped through all the hoops for the bubble and cutting short their strike and the owners just tear up the CBA at the end of the season anyway.

I'm happy they're resuming the playoffs.  If they all left the bubble, then they'd lose their platform.  And, theoretically, if the owners made any promises, and they aren't kept, they could stop the playoffs again. 

Rockets owner Tillman Fertitta has actually said some decent things, which is odd because he usually just parrots whatever Trump says (See the Daryl Morey tweet saga from the preseason.  God that feels like it happened 20 years ago. 

I'd like to think that this was all a ruse to give Russ a couple extra days to heal before coming back. 

And here's the periodic reminder that using that clip is always categorically bad, because what set A.I. off there was that his best friend had just been murdered, and the reporter followed up him talking about that with a question about practice. 

• Like 3

And with that, the Eastern Conference just had the least competitive first round since they expanded it to Best of 7. The winning teams went a combined 16-1.

Edited by Brian Fowler

Dort's lateral and recovery speed on defense is insane. He's not going to shut Harden down but he's going to make him work for most of his buckets. Meanwhile, Harden got a matchup with Danilo and went to the rim like Gallinari wasn't even there.