DVDVR Message Board

2020 NBA PLAYOFFS: OCTOFINALS

Dolfan in NYC

On 8/25/2020 at 4:04 PM, MavsFan77 said:

What chance in % are you giving your guys to beat the Lakers in the next round (if they survive this series)? Honestly I’d rather have had Denver up 3-1 on Utah instead of what that is as I think Dallas would have a much easier time against Denver. 

100%

Well, if they play.

My first thought was wow this will give Russ more time to heal!

Second thought was that the season shouldn’t be in jeopardy because Kenosha and the state of Wisconsin will do the right thing and arrest the cops who participated in the shooting of Jacob Blake. 

Third thought was yeah right Trump will blame the players and nothing will happen to those cops, like nothing will happen to the cops who killed Breona Taylor, etc.

• Like 5

I really, really love the NBA. And while I admittedly jumped on the Bucks bandwagon last year due to Giannis  I have all the love and respect for them boycotting. Same goes for the rest of the teams because all this sends a really powerful message. 

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 3

Honestly, I hope this ends the NBA season.  And I say this as a Lakers fan who wanted them to win it all.  The boycott would be an empty gesture if they just took one or two days off and then went right back to it.  If you're done because you're done with this bullshit, be DONE.  

Also...let these guys go home.  The bubble is pretty much a human zoo.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I believe the Lakers and Clippers have voted to end the rest of the season, but other teams wanted to continue.

If there is not some solidarity shown and a general strike (not boycott, STRIKE. Fans boycott. Players strike) called, then they should all be ashamed of themselves and be shunned for their lack of leadership here. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Nothing like good old victim blaming from the Kenosha police chief. THESE are the people in power? Change is necessary from the very top all the way down to a place like Kenosha.

Welcome to Wisconsin. That's not even rural Wisconsin either.

Edit: Note, Kenosha has over 100k people and is right between Milwaukee and Chicago, so you can get tons of people going through or around it all the time.

Edited by Ryan
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Allegedly, LeBron insisted on ending the season, and then just fucking walked out when others disagreed, and both L.A. teams followed.

Somebody on twitter likened it to the scene in Malcolm X at the hospital. I'm surprised that the other teams weren't on board but they'll have had some time to deliberate and reconvene today. A one or two day strike ain't going to accomplish much. It got people talking, which is great, but if they want to actually start something they can't return to work before shit changes. I read something about the CBA being done should they decide to cancel the season. 

It took me some time to not think of John Candy and his yellow jacket every time the city of Kenosha was mentioned. 

Edited by Jiji

18 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Someone's agents called and told them they can't legally boycott/strike I assume and they wanted their 10% badly.

They are a union, they can absolutely legally strike.  I just don't know what they would gain from going on strike.  Going on strike would send a message to people who are already on their side.  If stopping play can get billionaire owners to put their money where their mouths are, they shouldn't play.  If they can get the owners to put their money and power into helping the cause and still play...why not play?  The police do not give a fuck whether or not they play.  Lawmakers don't give a fuck whether or not they play.  Most people who support the status quo, don't give a fuck whether or not they play.  The best thing they can possibly do is partner with the NBA owners, ESPN, and TNT to actually do something meaningful.  Those are the people who have the real power in this situation, and that is where their leverage lies.  If the team owners and the networks are willing to do something meaningful, they should play...that partnership would be something worth protecting.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I want to see what the players and ownership have come up with to help further the cause before I pass judgment on the playoffs continuing. I hope that the leadership of the union has gotten some promises in writing from the owners.

7 minutes ago, supremebve said:

They are a union, they can absolutely legally strike.  I just don't know what they would gain from going on strike.  Going on strike would send a message to people who are already on their side.  If stopping play can get billionaire owners to put their money where their mouths are, they shouldn't play.  If they can get the owners to put their money and power into helping the cause and still play...why not play?  The police do not give a fuck whether or not they play.  Lawmakers don't give a fuck whether or not they play.  Most people who support the status quo, don't give a fuck whether or not they play.  The best thing they can possibly do is partner with the NBA owners, ESPN, and TNT to actually do something meaningful.  Those are the people who have the real power in this situation, and that is where their leverage lies.  If the team owners and the networks are willing to do something meaningful, they should play...that partnership would be something worth protecting.  

Pretty much this. I understand why people are upset that players would agree to resume play, but there's a bigger picture and a bigger game to play here. If your actions can force the people with money to actually do something, and the people with money are the ones in power, and you can get them to agree to contribute in a meaningful way, then do it.

• Thanks 1

I hope it's substantial. I'm disappointed because the players already took steps into the arena of trying to affect change. If they return to play because they didn't want to void the CBA or some other reason like that, it'll be disappointing. 

I already commented when this went down that its fucked up that we're looking to athletes for change. Not because their voices shouldn't matter but for the reasons Supreme mentioned around power. Those in power should be doing the heavy lifting. 

• Like 2