DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2020 OFFSEASON

RIPPA

If anybody hears anything about the NHL TV packages for this season, post it here.  They supposedly sent out an email 2 weeks ago to subscribers but I got nothing.  Was awfully nice of them to not refund anything last year after 10% of the season was canceled so I expect they'll charge full price for this year's 2/3 season but we'll see.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tabe said:

If anybody hears anything about the NHL TV packages for this season, post it here.  They supposedly sent out an email 2 weeks ago to subscribers but I got nothing.  Was awfully nice of them to not refund anything last year after 10% of the season was canceled so I expect they'll charge full price for this year's 2/3 season but we'll see.

I don't know about that. At least in Canada, NFL Redzone has had a deal with any TSN subscriber being able to stream it through TSN's website(? I think) but I don't really know if the NHL has a real Redzone equivalent. They really should do something though.

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

I don't know about that. At least in Canada, NFL Redzone has had a deal with any TSN subscriber being able to stream it through TSN's website(? I think) but I don't really know if the NHL has a real Redzone equivalent. They really should do something though.

The NHL has a streaming package where you can get every game from one team or every game from every team.  I've had it for several years (it rocks).

@Tabe I am assuming this is the email you are talking about

Dear NHL.TV™ subscriber,

This is to notify you that, as a 2019-20 NHL.TV™ subscriber who has opted for automatic renewal, your automatic renewal of your 2020-21 season NHL.TV™ subscription is scheduled to occur on or around January 10, 2021.

As a 2019–20 NHL.TV™ subscriber and based on your preferences, you don’t have to do a thing. Your subscription will automatically renew so you will be all set to begin watching the 2020-21 NHL season action.

You will receive a final subscription pricing notification no less than one week before the start of the 2020-21 NHL season.

So I guess if you didn't have auto-renew turned on, that is why you didn't get it

Based on that - looks like they won't set the actual price until early Jan

23 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Zdeno Chara has signed a one year deal with the Caps

I look forward to the first time he and douchebag Marchand get cross with each other. 

• Like 2

The NHL is planning to have a set of outdoor games in Lake Tahoe in February.

The Vegas Golden Knights, Colorado Avalanche, Boston Bruins and Philadelphia Flyers will each play games in a two-day event hosted by Edgewood Tahoe Resort, league sources confirmed to ESPN on Friday.

Sportsnet was the first to report about the event.

Fans won't be allowed in attendance. Instead, the league is hoping the series will serve as a broadcast spectacle -- and engage fans during an already unusual season. The NHL canceled the Winter Classic (Minneapolis), outdoor game (Raleigh), and All-Star Weekend (Sunrise, Fla.) this year to accommodate a condensed 56-game season with temporary divisional realignment.

The Avalanche are scheduled to play the Golden Knights on Feb. 20 and the Bruins are scheduled against the Flyers on Feb. 21. Both contests will be nationally televised on NBC.

The NHL wanted to create a signature event for the 2020-21 season and did exploratory trips to Lake Louise, Alberta, and Park City, Utah, before it settled on Lake Tahoe as the destination.

The NHL has released pricing for the full league package for NHL tv - $179.99 or $159.99 for early birds. No pricing for individual teams yet. I don't remember what it cost last year but this seems like a price bump despite the 30% reduction in games. Kind of a finger in the eye since they never refunded for the lost games last year.

13 hours ago, Death From Above said:

He was in the NHL for what felt like a thousand years. Beyond his history in Edmonton, one other super notable thing is he was the guy on the winning end of the Yashin for Chara + the Spezza draft pick trade.

Those two trades aren't even footnotes in his career compared to this:

RIP.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Tabe said:

The NHL has released pricing for the full league package for NHL tv - $179.99 or $159.99 for early birds. No pricing for individual teams yet. I don't remember what it cost last year but this seems like a price bump despite the 30% reduction in games. Kind of a finger in the eye since they never refunded for the lost games last year.

Dunno if there was backlash or what but they've updated the pricing and plans.  There's now three (much more reasonable) options:

1) All-Access - every team, every game - $99.99

2) Monthly - Same as All-Access except you pay monthly - $24.99

3) One Team - Every game from one team - $84.99

If you've never bought the streaming package, it's fantastic.  If you watch after the game is over, you can automatically skip intermissions and you can FF commercials.  Also, the blackout rules only apply while a game is actually being broadcast.  So that 7pm national game you can't see?  Yeah, it's available at roughly 10pm.  

The service works out great for me.  I follow an Eastern time zone team (Detroit) and live in the Pacific time zone.  I just eat dinner and chill for a little bit after work and then fire up the game as if it's happening live.  Games take well under 2 hours that way.

• Like 1

Of course, I just tried to update/renew my subscription and it's not letting me.  Says I'm already subscribed so it rejected my purchase.  Cool.  I apparently have auto-renewal setup (but the card has expired).  So I tried to upgrade from 1-team to everybody - they wanted $29.00 to do that despite the $15 difference in packages.  So I canceled my auto-renewal instead and tried to sign up for a new package - nope.  Same error.  OK, lemme try the "24/7" chat support.  Nope - real people are only available half the day.  Argh.  Oh well, I'll straighten it out tomorrow.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Technology is great and will make our lives simpler!

One of my favorite stories: When the Space Race began America was faced with the challenge that pens didn't work in space. So NASA spent tons of money to develop a pen that worked in zero gravity. You may ask yourself how the Russians delt with this problem: They used pencils.

Just now, sabremike said:

One of my favorite stories: When the Space Race began America was faced with the challenge that pens didn't work in space. So NASA spent tons of money to develop a pen that worked in zero gravity. You may ask yourself how the Russians delt with this problem: They used pencils.

False.  First, pencils are a horrible solution since they create graphite shards that mess things up in spaceships - and they're flammable, which is a big no-no.  Second, the pen was developed outside of NASA:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-nasa-spen/

• Like 1