DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2020 OFFSEASON

RIPPA

When he was introduced at the ceremony following the final game at Rexall is one of the most wonderful moments ever.

RIP Joey, there's a special place in heaven for you.

• Like 2

The Arizona Coyotes have renounced their rights to top draftee Mitchell Miller after it turned out he'd bullied and racistly taunted a disabled black young man in school.  

There's a scout or two that are probably going to get shitcanned for this.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The Arizona Coyotes have renounced their rights to top draftee Mitchell Miller after it turned out he'd bullied and racistly taunted a disabled black young man in school.  

Interesting thing someone pointed out: If this had taken place in Canada his identity as a youthful offender would've made it illegal to identify him and it would've been wiped from his record entirely in 4-7 years.

34 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Edit: misremembered...the mother didn't write a letter. But Miller wrote a letter to all the teams apologizing for it.

There's a pretty good run down about this whole situation on the Athletic. Every team was aware; the mother of the child in question sent a letter to every team detailing it. As well the judge's remarks to Miller during the trial were public knowledge (basically the judge told him that he felt Miller didn't actually feel any remorse at all, just felt bad about the fact that he was now in a position to be punished for it). The previous Coyotes management team did not have Miller on their draft board, but that clearly changed when the new management team came on before the draft.

Anyway, fuck Miller, the few incidents that have come out sound horrifying and it apparently went on for years.

Edited by elizium

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

For those who don't remember the name, Travis Roy was the BU player who was paralyzed just seconds into the first shift of his first game.

20 hours ago, elizium said:

I would love to start a go fund me for bail money just to choke this guy out for what he did to the poor kid.  Part of me hopes he is signed to a team just so the locker room can make him eat a push pop that was rubbed all over a dirty bathroom.  Maybe they can also ram his head into a brick wall too and laugh about it.  Scumbags like Mitchel Miller do not deserve an opportunity to make millions

21 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I would love to start a go fund me for bail money just to choke this guy out for what he did to the poor kid.  Part of me hopes he is signed to a team just so the locker room can make him eat a push pop that was rubbed all over a dirty bathroom.  Maybe they can also ram his head into a brick wall too and laugh about it.  Scumbags like Mitchel Miller do not deserve an opportunity to make millions

I believe people can be redeemed and earn a second chance.  I don't think Mitchell Miller deserves a lifetime of contempt and scorn...if he is truly repentant and apologetic and doing the right things.  So far, he is not and has not.  So screw him.

24 minutes ago, Tabe said:

I believe people can be redeemed and earn a second chance.  I don't think Mitchell Miller deserves a lifetime of contempt and scorn...if he is truly repentant and apologetic and doing the right things.  So far, he is not and has not.  So screw him.

the fact that the court ordered him to write an apology letter and stay away from the kid and he not only didn't write the letter but he continued to rollerblade past his house speaks volumes. Screw the guy. He shouldn't get an opportunity that others would die for. 

• Like 1

I agree. It’s pretty clear he only became apologetic when teams were taking him off their boards. If it was one incident, I’d be willing to say that it was a catastrophic mistake and he should be allowed to try and make amends. But it lasted from elementary to high school. I don’t care how young you are, not racially and physically abusing someone for years is not some hard life lesson that needs to be learned. 

I don’t expect professional athletes to be saints, but no one is entitled to a career in the NHL. His talents have gotten him into a good university he should use that opportunity to better himself and find something fulfilling to do. 

As much as I’d love to think that he would be shunned in locker rooms, after hearing about the horror stories of abuse in Canadian junior hockey hazing rituals, I’m not sure a lot of hockey players would see the gravity of what he did. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2020 at 2:49 PM, elizium said:

I agree. It’s pretty clear he only became apologetic when teams were taking him off their boards. If it was one incident, I’d be willing to say that it was a catastrophic mistake and he should be allowed to try and make amends. But it lasted from elementary to high school. I don’t care how young you are, not racially and physically abusing someone for years is not some hard life lesson that needs to be learned. 

I don’t expect professional athletes to be saints, but no one is entitled to a career in the NHL. His talents have gotten him into a good university he should use that opportunity to better himself and find something fulfilling to do. 

As much as I’d love to think that he would be shunned in locker rooms, after hearing about the horror stories of abuse in Canadian junior hockey hazing rituals, I’m not sure a lot of hockey players would see the gravity of what he did. 

If he was good enough he was going to get drafted and in a different time his past would have been swept away like a Steve Downie.  David Poile is still employed in hockey and he drafted Brian Sakic.  His due diligence with that was to ask Sakic what happened and he bought Sakic's explanation.

The reminds me of the mid 70s-early 80s, when the divisions were moved around quite frequently to accommodate expansions teams, relocations and the WHA absorption. I'm all for a year of oddball divisions, yolo the world is ending anyway

• 2 weeks later...