DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2020 OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Great off-season for the Jets so far. It would have been nice if Stastny had just resigned with them two years ago, rather than the Knights, but he finally gives the Jets the number 2 center they've been looking years for. He's not the player he once was, but if he's able to reclaim a bit of the chemistry he had with Laine and Ehlers, this could be great. And hopefully this signals the Jets are not trading Laine. Yes, they still need another defenseman, but 30-40 goal scorers are not just something you can replace. Trading Laine for a defenseman makes me think of Hall-Larsson. If Stastny doesn't work out for whatever reason, they didn't give up much of anything for him.

Loved that they were able to resign Demelo and Cole Perfetti looks like he's going to be an absolute steal at pick 10, most of the mock drafts I saw had him going 5-7.

19 hours ago, elizium said:

Great off-season for the Jets so far. It would have been nice if Stastny had just resigned with them two years ago, rather than the Knights, but he finally gives the Jets the number 2 center they've been looking years for. He's not the player he once was, but if he's able to reclaim a bit of the chemistry he had with Laine and Ehlers, this could be great. And hopefully this signals the Jets are not trading Laine. Yes, they still need another defenseman, but 30-40 goal scorers are not just something you can replace. Trading Laine for a defenseman makes me think of Hall-Larsson. If Stastny doesn't work out for whatever reason, they didn't give up much of anything for him.

Loved that they were able to resign Demelo and Cole Perfetti looks like he's going to be an absolute steal at pick 10, most of the mock drafts I saw had him going 5-7.

Only miss was not buying out Perrault. Could have put that money towards a defenseman. Agree 100% on the Perfetti pick though.

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Leafs have signed Simmonds, Brodie and Bogosian, and aren't over the cap after trading Johnsson to the Devils. So far, so good ??

As someone who hates the Leafs I'm thrilled they signed Simmonds and Brokeosian because they are both beyond awful.

4 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

The Edmonton Oilers

ccle328l1iq21.jpg

Try being a Sabres fan: We let one of our most useful players in Johan Larsson walk and replaced him with Cody Eakins, who completely sucks and is an advanced stats dumpster fire.

Honestly if I wasn't actually from Edmonton originally and have spent my entire life in central Alberta I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be so married to this stupid ass team. I think Tottenham brought me more joy in the last decade than the Oilers and Tottenham are mainly famous for never winning anything.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Death From Above said:

Honestly if I wasn't actually from Edmonton originally and have spent my entire life in central Alberta I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be so married to this stupid ass team. I think Tottenham brought me more joy in the last decade than the Oilers and Tottenham are mainly famous for never winning anything.

*Remembers I'm a Metro/Red Bulls fan*

Yeah...

The only big 4 championship I've been able to celebrate in my life was the 86 Mets. 

2 hours ago, sabremike said:

As someone who hates the Leafs I'm thrilled they signed Simmonds and Brokeosian because they are both beyond awful.

Does that say more about the players or the team they played for? Bogosian played some pretty good minutes for Tampa on their Cup run. And Simmonds played 7 games in Buffalo so I'm not sure if you have enough of a sample size to judge awefulness lol

6 hours ago, Dewar said:

Only miss was not buying out Perrault. Could have put that money towards a defenseman. Agree 100% on the Perfetti pick though.

I feel like Perreault is someone Maurice loves, so we were always gonna keep him. Be interesting to see if they do anything when Little is put on LTIR, as that should free up about 4M. They are better than they were, but I still feel like they will be middle of the pack, chasing a 3rd place/wild card spot. That D might be a horror show, I guess they think Sandberg is ready to make the leap.

2 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Does that say more about the players or the team they played for? Bogosian played some pretty good minutes for Tampa on their Cup run. And Simmonds played 7 games in Buffalo so I'm not sure if you have enough of a sample size to judge awefulness lol

Simmonds is one of my all time faves from his Flyers days but he is completely shot. Awful at the end in Philly, awful in NJ, awful in Buffalo.

Bogo= Ultimate Warrior 

Hedman = Macho Man

12 hours ago, sabremike said:

Simmonds is one of my all time faves from his Flyers days but he is completely shot. Awful at the end in Philly, awful in NJ, awful in Buffalo.

Bogo= Ultimate Warrior 

Hedman = Macho Man

Simmonds is happy to be playing at home.

Bogosian will be 4th-6th defenceman on the roster.

Getting them both for 2.5mil next year has very little downside.

1 hour ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love everything that Dubas has done to address the shortcomings of last year's team. Thornton, Simmonds, Brodie and Bogosian, plus Barabanov and Lehtonen from the KHL, plus a full year of Nick Robertson are all pretty high upside additions. 

1 hour ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure this is a signing to get excited over.  Good for him to be back home (basically) but...he was terrible this past year.

3 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

Kinda awkward when my best friend is a Leafs fan and my least favorite team is “Whatever team Joe Thornton is on”

If you're a true friend, you'll root for Toronto to lose every game but then be super happy for your friend if they (hahahahaha) win a Cup.

I hate the Packers and the Blackhawks but have a good friend who is a gigantic fan of both.  I was happy for him when those guys won but certainly not happy they won.

7 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Not sure this is a signing to get excited over.  Good for him to be back home (basically) but...he was terrible this past year.

I think Joe biggest role will be as a locker room leader for a very young and talented team. They didn't bring him in to play 80 games or be a point per game player.