DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2020 OFFSEASON

RIPPA

31 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Bob McKenzie is retiring from full-time hockey journalism, though he's sticking around part-time. But even so, say it ain't so. There's so little national-level hockey media worth paying attention to as is, and I don't see anyone filling this hole anytime soon.

Bound to happen sooner or later, but it is still disappointing. Other than Woj, he's probably the best "insider" in sports. Plus, I never really warmed up to Dreger or any of the other hockey guys.

Officiating in the NHL has always been atrocious.  From Kerry Fraser "not seeing" Wayne Gretzky hit Doug Gilmour with a high stick - and then asking Wayne to write the foreword for his book - to Vegas getting hosed in the playoffs last year, bad officiating is nothing new.  My personal favorite is one with the Red Wings where Brad May scored a goal a full 2 seconds before a whistle, the referees reviewed it and decided no goal because...reasons.

2 hours ago, Tabe said:

Officiating in the NHL has always been atrocious.  From Kerry Fraser "not seeing" Wayne Gretzky hit Doug Gilmour with a high stick - and then asking Wayne to write the foreword for his book - to Vegas getting hosed in the playoffs last year, bad officiating is nothing new.  My personal favorite is one with the Red Wings where Brad May scored a goal a full 2 seconds before a whistle, the referees reviewed it and decided no goal because...reasons.

As far as NHL officiating being shit for years I have three simple words: NO FUCKING GOAL.

Yeah...

17 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

And god only knows when the NHL will start again... but, eh. 

I guess that since they delayed the next season to Dec 1 they could make a situation where the first say... 6 weeks are done from a bubble (expand to maybe 3 cities - stay in Canada)

Then give everyone a week off around mid January and then cross their fingers - start in home cities starting Feb 2021 (because they would be able to see if everything spiked back through the roof or not because of winter/holidays/lack of vaccine/etc)

Quinn Hughes is mini Scott Niedermayer. He's fucking amazing and it's his rookie year. Bo Horvat is a beauty too. This team with those two, Pettersson, Boeser, and JT Miller have a great core to build around. Markstrom finally developed over the last couple of years into the goalie Florida hoped for and Vancouver needed when they traded Luongo. Edler and Tanev are still very good too. Toffoli isn't even playing right now and the team is up 2-0 against the defending champs. Still a long way to go but this is so impressive. Way ahead of schedule, regardless of what happens.

to be clear, i am now on the bandwagon

Edited by Jiji

Winnipeg Jets legend/icon and later Buffalo Sabres star Dale Hawerchuk has passed away at age 57. That fucking sucks. Dewar, elizium, and Sabremike, my condolences to you all. They haven't confirmed it but the article says his cancer recurred after he was diagnosed with stomach cancer last year. 

Here he is back in May on CBC.

Watch the audio on this one, it sounds like it's at 200%:

• Like 2