DVDVR Message Board

2020 NBA OFFSEASON

Dolfan in NYC

Gotta catch 'em all. 

While not a true fan of any team, the Bucks have been my team since seeing Giannis in the rising stars game in 2015, with Utah being secondary. I'd like Milwaukee to be able to make this work and take that next step with Giannis. Second best outcome was Portland so I can see him live a few times a year and the joy of Dame + Antetokounmpo. Portland doesn't have the pieces though because a trade built around CJ and Nurk for the most valuable player in the nba ain't going to cut it. Neither would GSW's 2nd overall in a weak draft and Wiggins, which is what some have been floating. 

...All of y'all are going on my list.

Sounds like the draft is getting pushed back to November 18th.  Assuming they go straight from draft to free agency to camp I'd say the earliest the season could start is Christmas.

With Donovan being let go, and the unmistakable feeling that OKC kinda didn't want to be as good as they were this here, you have to figure Paul is going to be moved again if anyone can make the money work (and now it's only two years instead of three) and, man, he's headed into Shaq level for all-time great that played on an absurd number of teams.

Except Shaq was really only good on the first three, this is already four for CP3, and he was at "not insane to appear on a few MVP ballots" level.

28 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

With Donovan being let go, and the unmistakable feeling that OKC kinda didn't want to be as good as they were this here, you have to figure Paul is going to be moved again if anyone can make the money work (and now it's only two years instead of three) and, man, he's headed into Shaq level for all-time great that played on an absurd number of teams.

Except Shaq was really only good on the first three, this is already four for CP3, and he was at "not insane to appear on a few MVP ballots" level.

Yeah OKC could do relatively well in a deal. Milwaukee and Philly could start bidding against each other. I still can't believe their 1st round pick is coming here this year. Which was top 20 protected. 

15 minutes ago, Jiji said:

He's owed over $41 million next year and even more the year following. That's a lot of money for a 35 year old, who is still great admittedly. 

It is a lot of money but if they do deal with Sixers it means taking on a contract that would require compensation from the Sixers. Since Horford has 1 extra year than Paul. Only half of that final year is guaranteed. 

Knowing the players Presti likes he'll probably want Thybulle. Sixers did jump them in the draft to grab him. I assume the Sixers will want to move Horford and Josh Richardson for him for financial reasons. Which could bring a 3rd team into play. Richardson only has 1 year left. 

I doubt the Sixers will be willing to move Thybulle. Since he makes the most sense as Richardson's replacement. Will probably offer OKC Horford, Richardson, and OKCs 2020 first. Maybe another future protected first. Does sound like a lot to give up for a 35 year old Paul. If a 3rd team is interested in Richardson though that could potentially decrease. Maybe the 2nd future protected first wouldn't be necessary. 

I would hope the Sixers at least inquire about a deal based around Josh Richardson and Spencer Dinwiddie. 

2 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Wouldn't getting out from Horford's deal be a positive? 

Yeah and I think most realistic deals involving Horford would require payment from the Sixers for that reason. The Sixers having interest in Paul and only having negative value contracts to send out in return is a nice bargaining chip for Presti. The money for next year alone:

Harris 33 million, Simmons and Embiid 29 million each and Horford 27. 

You pretty much have to do Harris or Horford and I would bet most people would have them as 2 of the 10 worst contracts in the league. 

22 hours ago, Zimbra said:

...All of y'all are going on my list.

Sounds like the draft is getting pushed back to November 18th.  Assuming they go straight from draft to free agency to camp I'd say the earliest the season could start is Christmas.

22 hours ago, Ace said:

Wasn't a Christmas start already the plan?

22 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Dec 1 was the tentative date.

A winner is Zimbra. The NBA reportedly told teams that the new season now won't start until Christmas at the earliest.

And on that tip, there is a lot of talk of anything between Martin Luther King Jr. Day or even as late as March (guys, the vaccine ain't gonna be like that. Stop it). Also some talk of doing baseball-like mini-series of games to cut down on travel with lots of talk about the energy level and high level of play in the bubble coming from a lack of travel. I would love that. I'm guessing you'd see fewer injuries in addition to the better play if they cut down on travel significantly. 

Names on the hoopshype trade hot stove: Caris LeVert, Zach LaVine (those capital V guys on the block), and Bradley Beal. What kind of god awful contract would the Nets have to send to even the money out in a LeVert/Beal trade? And how sad would post-Achilles Wall be? LeVert could be great if he stays healthy though.

Edited by Jiji

Working under the assumption that their season is over I am intensely curious to see where Houston goes from here.  They have $76M+ a year tied up in Harden and Westbrook for the next four years, almost all of their rotation players are over 30, they have one good asset (Covington), and owe or have swaps on a bunch of future picks. 

Normally I'd expect Daryl Morey to pull a rabbit out of his hat but there's a really good chance he and D'Antoni are both gone in the offseason.

Hats off to Toronto for being way better than expected, and defending their title to the bitter end.

Their reward will be facing all of the exact same questions they did last off-season about whether to try moving the older vets in a soft rebuild, or trying to take another shot with this group.

• Like 1