DVDVR Message Board

2020 NBA OFFSEASON

Dolfan in NYC

The NBA announced the structure and format for the 2020-21 season Tuesday night, including how exactly the upcoming schedule will be released.

The schedule will be released in two halves -- what the league is calling the First Half and the Second Half. The schedule for the First Half of the season, which will run from Dec. 22 to March 4, will be released around the start of training camp, set for Dec. 1.

The league won't release the schedule for the Second Half until later in the First Half. That will include the rest of each team's 72 regular-season games that weren't previously scheduled, as well as any games that were postponed in the First Half of the season that "can reasonably be added" to the rest of the schedule.

The All-Star break is set to take place March 5-10, between the two halves.

The Second Half of the season will run from March 11 to May 16. The play-in tournament will be held from May 18 to 21 before the playoffs tip off May 22.

Each NBA team will play the teams within its conference three times for a total of 42 games, while playing the teams from the opposing conference twice each (30 games).

Within each team's division, the league has already assigned which opponents will be played twice at home, and which will be played twice on the road.

Each division within a conference will then play all five teams from another intraconference division twice at home, and all five teams from the remaining division twice on the road.

The league said its board of governors unanimously approved the play-in tournament proposal on a one-year basis in a vote Thursday. The teams with the seventh- and eighth-highest winning percentages will have two chances to make the playoffs, while the teams with the ninth- and 10th-highest winning percentages will have one chance.

The "Seven-Eight Game" will be between the teams ranked seventh and eighth, while the "Nine-Ten Game" will feature the teams ranked ninth and 10th. The winner of the Seven-Eight Game will advance to the playoffs. The loser will host the winner of the Nine-Ten Game, as had been previously reported.

The NBA Finals are set to run through July 22. The Summer Olympics begin July 23 -- and the qualifying tournaments for the remaining four spots in the men's field are scheduled to run from June 29 to July 4.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30338853/nba-regular-season-schedule-2020-21-released-2-stages-play-tournament-18-21

Per Wojo

The New York Knicks are moving up in Wednesday's NBA draft, acquiring the Utah Jazz's pick at No. 23 in exchange for the No. 27 and No. 38 selections, sources told ESPN.

The Knicks will now hold the No. 8 and No. 23 picks in Wednesday's draft, the first for the team under new president of basketball operations Leon Rose.

The Jazz will also send the Knicks the draft rights to 2008 second-round pick Ante Tomic, 33, who isn't expected to join the NBA.

Anthony Edwards, trying to demonstrate to Minnesota that he's already further along than their previous top pick, Andrew Wiggins, when it comes to basketball-related antipathy:

"To be honest," he says, "I can't watch basketball."

He retells the story about the first time he dunked and how it signaled to him that he was talented and could accomplish something he might not have been able to in football, which was his first love. So that's the direction he went, simple as that, hanging up his cleats. "That's all I needed to see," he says.

So when after that did he get into basketball?

"I'm still not really into it," he says. "I love basketball, yeah. It's what I do."

He's not entirely convincing. He says if he were drafted by the NFL tomorrow, he'd let basketball go. "Because you can do anything on the field," he explains. "You can spike the ball. You can dance. You can do all type of disrespectful stuff." In the NBA, he says, "you can't do any of that. You'll get fined."

He goes on to say that he's an aspiring rapper. He's already recorded a few tracks with his older brother Bubba. So, like Damian Lillard? "But I really can rap," he says. "Dame, talking about -- I don't know what he's talking about. I'm rapping like Lil Baby." He says he won't release any songs until he's established in the NBA.

• Haha 3

Wojo says the reason the Knicks made the above mentioned trade is because they are trying to pack their 2 #1s to move up (the most likely team to swap with is the Cavs at #5)

New York is in love with Obi Toppin

2 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

Seriously you'd have to drop a couple of spots just for being dumb enough to say before the draft. You hook the team first, THEN say that shit. All things being equal of course.

Or, he is a genius and trying to avoid the Timberwolves. 

• Like 1

And be banking on Green having a good season shooting the ball.

I think they had to move Horford though. The fit was just hideous next to Embiid.

So that's up to as many as 18 first round picks but 2026 for OKC?

2 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

I have no idea what the Rockets are doing help

They appear to be trying to recoup draft assets and cut payroll. Which feels like what you do when you've decided to trade your best player(s) and rebuild, but have mortgaged your future picks to get your current team.

If they really are planning to try and run it back with Russ and Harden, them this is a really strange set of moves.

6 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

They appear to be trying to recoup draft assets and cut payroll. Which feels like what you do when you've decided to trade your best player(s) and rebuild, but have mortgaged your future picks to get your current team.

If they really are planning to try and run it back with Russ and Harden, them this is a really strange set of moves.

But trading the number 16 pick for a severely protected pick you probably won't be able to use until 2025 seems really fucking stupid when you could just you know pick at #16. 

I know what we're doing.  We're saving Tilman Fertitta money because he's a broke ass

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Wojo says the reason the Knicks made the above mentioned trade is because they are trying to pack their 2 #1s to move up (the most likely team to swap with is the Cavs at #5)

New York is in love with Obi Toppin

Good Lord, they got him without the trade. 

Competence? In MY Manhattan NBA Franchise?

• Haha 2

I'm very happy with the Mavs effort last night. I like who we got with all 3 picks, and I think Green will be a pleasant surprise. I'm gutted at losing Seth Curry, but I *do* feel like Josh Richardson gives the team what they are looking for right now with a defensive minded guard.

10 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Good Lord, they got him without the trade. 

Competence? In MY Manhattan NBA Franchise?

I may have peed a little when I saw the Knicks sniped him.

I cannot - CANNOT believe the Cavs of all teams passed on Obi. In-state phenomenon and you can't make a role for him?