DVDVR Message Board

2020 NBA OFFSEASON

Dolfan in NYC

2 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

New Orleans and Houston have both looked at the Brooklyn situation and have decided they don't want a head coach either.  

They'll both be interviewing Ty Lue. 

I'm not sure Houston really has a choice since both Westbrook and Harden are going to do what they're going to do no matter who the coach is.

Hey, if Lue did anything well, it was managing to balance the egos of LeBron and that cosmic oddball Kyrie for over two seasons.

I honestly have no idea if Lue is any good or not. We know he didn't fuck up a ready made contender when it was handed to him, so he's probably better than Mark Jackson.... That's about it.

What are people's expectations for Brooklyn next year as things stand? There is a very real possibility LeVert is traded and the roster is shaken up to accommodate the big boys. Do they finish above or below Miami? Milwaukee? Super early of course because I think all three of those teams will look different come the start of the season (whenever that is!), but I'm interested in people's thoughts on how they view post-ruptured achilles KD & Kyrie.  History suggests KD won't be the same player at least for the next one or two seasons.

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

What are people's expectations for Brooklyn next year as things stand? There is a very real possibility LeVert is traded and the roster is shaken up to accommodate the big boys. Do they finish above or below Miami? Milwaukee? Super early of course because I think all three of those teams will look different come the start of the season (whenever that is!), but I'm interested in people's thoughts on how they view post-ruptured achilles KD & Kyrie.  History suggests KD won't be the same player at least for the next one or two seasons.

This is reductive and a little hot-takey, but the Nets feel like Clippers East, to me. I expect similarly breathless reporting about load management, promises they'll gel when it's time, and then "we knew all along the chemistry wasn't working" articles after a playoff exit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

Giannis or Oladipo might be heading to South Beach, so that'll change a lot of how the East shakes out regardless of how Durant/Kyrie gel.

But regardless I'm not particularly bullish on them making it to the Finals, which should probably be the goal with those two on the same team.

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

Whether they boom or bust, the Nets should be entertaining. Especially after Kyrie's take on his head coach. I can imagine the drama if they go on a winless skid lol.

• Like 1

The Nets are way too big of a set of question marks to predict. Is KD 75% the player he was? 50% 85% etc.

Can Kyrie stay healthy? Can Kyrie work with other players?

How does everyone else's role shake out with KD and Kyrie in the lineup? 

Can Steve Nash coach? There's not a very long history of MVP caliber players being successful coaches, Larry Bird aside.

That was pretty expected but boy I hope they have a succession plan in place before going into the accelerated draft/free agency period.

E: They do have a plan:

Also Anthony Davis is opting out of his contract and will re-sign with the Lakers.

Edited by Zimbra

2 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Rajon Rondo, KCP, and Anthony Davis are all expected to opt out of their deals with LA.

None are expecting to leave.

KCP was actually pretty good in the playoffs, but if I was the Lakers I'd be screening my calls when his agent called.  He's one of my least favorite players in the entire league.

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

KCP was actually pretty good in the playoffs, but if I was the Lakers I'd be screening my calls when his agent called.  He's one of my least favorite players in the entire league.

When he was in Detroit, he always felt like a guy who could break out and become an elite defender and solid offensive weapon, but he never actually did. Like, one night he'd be holding Steph Curry somewhat in check, but two nights later he'd be getting torched by a second string combo guard.

I don't get the impression much changed in L.A., other than being in good mode a bit more often than usual in the playoffs.

On the other hand, I'm not sure there's an upgrade available that they can afford out there this summer. Much like I didn't mind Detroit replacing him with Avery Bradley, but I didn't think it was worth trading Marcus Morris and letting KCP walk just for Bradley.

Of course, seeing KCP, Spencer Dinwiddie, and Khris Middleton all in the playoffs does cause a bit of Pistons melancholy.

7 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

When he was in Detroit, he always felt like a guy who could break out and become an elite defender and solid offensive weapon, but he never actually did. Like, one night he'd be holding Steph Curry somewhat in check, but two nights later he'd be getting torched by a second string combo guard.

I don't get the impression much changed in L.A., other than being in good mode a bit more often than usual in the playoffs.

On the other hand, I'm not sure there's an upgrade available that they can afford out there this summer. Much like I didn't mind Detroit replacing him with Avery Bradley, but I didn't think it was worth trading Marcus Morris and letting KCP walk just for Bradley.

Of course, seeing KCP, Spencer Dinwiddie, and Khris Middleton all in the playoffs does cause a bit of Pistons melancholy.

My issue with KCP is that he plays like someone who thinks he actually reached the potential you're talking about, but he hasn't.  He has never seen a shot he wouldn't take, even when a better player has a better shot.  The place where I disagree is that there may not be an upgrade available.  Bogdan Bogdanović, Tim Hardaway Jr., Demar Derozan chasing a ring, and a few other dudes can fill his minutes better than him.  They have a mid level exception, and a bi-annual exception so they should have enough to bring in another piece or two especially if they are taking, "want to win a ring" discounts.