DVDVR Message Board

2020 NBA OFFSEASON

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

You know what...  

That's fair.  

However, if/when either of you trolls the other, you both get muted through the end of the season. 

@Lawful Metal @MavsFan77  

??‍♂️

I can happily live with that. Thank you for the fair solution. ??

Out of curiosity (and so I don’t get muted without knowing) is it considered trolling if I reply to something he’s said and I have stats to show why it’s not accurate? I’m asking because I feel like my reply from last night wasn’t trolling at all. It was showing actual stats, and that while his Twitter nonsense was somewhat accurate that it doesn’t paint a complete picture. We can all agree that Kawhi has only needed one game 7 in his 3 finals trips, and he won the other two appearances. So why should his game 7 record matter? It would if he never won a ring, or only made the finals that one time. 

I won’t just randomly post trashing anyone on his team either.

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

Just leave him on ignore. Please. There is zero point debating him. I know I've been sucked into his shit more than enough times. Just let it go. You'll be happier. 

I’d be happier if he took his Harden is GOAT nonsense stats back to where he gets them since that stuff only belongs on Twitter. Nobody buys it, and it’s beyond silly that he trashes actual better players (Kawhi in particular) just to prop up a guy that’s won nothing worthwhile other than a league MVP award in his career. 

I don’t see anyone promoting the career greatness of Steve Nash despite the fact he has double the amount of MVP awards, and he was part of a team that was oddly similar to Hardens when he was in Phoenix (a great regular season team, but they never got as far in the playoffs as they should have). Nor would I be the one to promote Nash. He’s just the first player I thought of that has a superior career resume, and that doesn’t get half the love that Harden does here.

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Folks, you truly love to see it.

And just to make sure none of you vultures get the satisfaction: GIANNIS TO THE KNICKS CONFIRMED!!~!

So are they trading all twelve players on the active roster plus their next five first round picks for him? ? That might be enough to get the Bucks to give him up.

Giannis Is basically right where LeBron was after 2010. Back to Back MVPs, pretty well established as the best day to day player in the NBA, a pair of playoff flops as the number 1 seed...

(Minus the trip to the finals, obviously)

Obviously, it worked out well for LeBron in the end. Interesting to see where Giannis goes from here.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Giannis Is basically right where LeBron was after 2010. Back to Back MVPs, pretty well established as the best day to day player in the NBA, a pair of playoff flops as the number 1 seed...

Obviously, it worked out well for LeBron in the end. Interesting to see where Giannis goes from here.

So using this criteria it would seem to suggest the Bucks will win the Finals next year, and maybe another one with him. Then he’ll team hop to somebody else, win only one ring, and then team hop yet again to chase a third or fourth ring. 

God I hate the Lebron style of play as opposed to being loyal to a team, and actually trying to make said team better (like MJ, Bird, and Magic all did or more recently Duncan, Kobe, and Dirk). 

Can you imagine being a top 3 player in your sport in the modern, Internet, and highly commercialized era of sports and spending your entire career in Cleveland with little to no help like his first run? I can't. I don't blame LeBron for wanting those big city lights and easier path to championships. He was a free agent both times he left and hardly pulled a Kawhi at least so obviously. The one year deals were a way of holding his teams accountable. The brainwashed way of thinking about sports/society would have us think he's holding them hostage. I see it as the former and not wanting to piss his career away and lose leverage. I don't think any pro athlete understands their value on and off the court/field/rink/whatever better than Lebron James. There was a good article on the ringer this week breaking down the differences between Kawhi and LeBron in how they operate behind the scenes. LeBron makes it crystal fucking clear what everybody's role is and is an obvious leader of men. Kawhi leads by example if anything. That was one of the big differences between the two LA teams this year. Kawhi was relying on Doc Rivers to lead and the latter failed miserably. Internal fighting and uncertainty in roles were at least a small part in their downfall. People were also ripping on the Clips for thinking there is a switch in effort level. There is though. Playoff LeBron is a different player from regular season LeBron. He has been doing his own load management for what, 5 years now? It's like he goes Super Saiyan in the playoffs. It's the greatest spectacle in sports and I think I'm only truly appreciating it right now for the first time. 

Also I'm laughing at his reaction to a lack of first place votes for MVP. He is obviously manufacturing that big chip on his shoulder so he can go Super Saiyan 2 because, as I believe Brian Fowler said earlier, he's at his best when playing to prove the doubters wrong. His sense of his own worth in history and fighting to overcome the Jordan myth is incredibly fascinating to me. There is no logical argument that he was the MVP this year and that 16 people voted for him as their #1 is crazy to me but this reaction both gets the headlines back on him again (sorry Giannis, lol) and gives him some more motivation. Dude is playing 3d chess. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Giannis to Miami confirmed~

• Like 1

I actually think LeBron winning a championship with a third team would solidify his place in history. The knock on LeBron has always been his finals record. If the Lakers win this year things start looking a lot better. And they could easily go back-to-back. Five rings would put him level with a bunch of other all-time greats. The difference being that he did it with three different teams. People would start to look at that as something special and unique. And possibly, a sign of the future if Kawhi or KD manage to do it too. 

31 minutes ago, ohtani's jacket said:

I actually think LeBron winning a championship with a third team would solidify his place in history. The knock on LeBron has always been his finals record. If the Lakers win this year things start looking a lot better. And they could easily go back-to-back. Five rings would put him level with a bunch of other all-time greats. The difference being that he did it with three different teams. People would start to look at that as something special and unique. And possibly, a sign of the future if Kawhi or KD manage to do it too. 

Hey man, John Sally and Robert Horry already did it. ?

Half joking aside, finals MVP for three different teams would be something. And if he keeps playing at a high level for another two or three seasons, the combination of how great he's been and the sheer breadth of his career is going to be one hell of an argument for him as the GOAT.

(Like, you are never going to convince me, personally, that he was ever as good as MJ was at his peak.  But if LeBron is a legit top ten player in the league for 20 years, with a ten year peak that is top five or so all-time level great...)

3 hours ago, ohtani's jacket said:

Wait so you’re suggesting KD win a title in Brooklyn then team hop again? Because so far he only has a ring with one team. 

And even if Lebron somehow gets to five (which I find highly unlikely) he’d still have an under .500 record in the finals. Kobe wasn’t that bad in the finals, Magic wasn’t that bad, MJ sure as hell wasn’t that bad. So I think he’s still at most playing for #2 all time.

49 minutes ago, MavsFan77 said:

Wait so you’re suggesting KD win a title in Brooklyn then team hop again? Because so far he only has a ring with one team. 

And even if Lebron somehow gets to five (which I find highly unlikely) he’d still have an under .500 record in the finals. Kobe wasn’t that bad in the finals, Magic wasn’t that bad, MJ sure as hell wasn’t that bad. So I think he’s still at most playing for #2 all time.

There's no guarantee KD will win a ring with Brooklyn, and nobody knows how well he'll come back from the injury, but I can easily see him changing teams. I think we're going to see top players changing teams and potentially winning multiple championships with different organizations. I don't really care about the GOAT argument. I think LeBron will solidify himself in the top five, especially now that he's beginning to own so many playoff records. As far as his finals record goes, if he gets to five then I don't think it will matter. If he stays at 3, or maybe even 4, people will have a case for him underachieving. 

Edited by ohtani's jacket

39 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

A 5-6 record in the Finals is way the fuck more impressive than 5-2, imo.

Why? Getting there the majority of those times in the (much) weaker conference isn’t impressive at all. What competition did Lebron supposedly have in the East? At least when Kobe made the finals he was always doing it in the better conference.

Plus there’s still no guarantee he’ll even make (let alone win) two more. He’s 3-6 now so what’s to say the number when he’s done isn’t 3-7 or 3-8, or maybe 4-7? 

Edited by MavsFan77

46 minutes ago, ohtani's jacket said:

There's no guarantee KD will win a ring with Brooklyn, and nobody knows how well he'll come back from the injury, but I can easily see him changing teams. I think we're going to see top players changing teams and potentially winning multiple championships with different organizations. I don't really care about the GOAT argument. I think LeBron will solidify himself in the top five, especially now that he's beginning to own so many playoff records. As far as his finals record goes, if he gets to five then I don't think it will matter. If he stays at 3, or maybe even 4, people will have a case for him underachieving. 

I’m not arguing against him being considered second best behind MJ. I’m saying his finals record isn’t anything special compared to the other greats.

Also I agree that multiple top guys will switch teams to try to win titles. But as Kyrie Irving has shown (not that I’d say he’s a top 10 player, but he’s probably top 20-25) it’s not a guarantee of a ring or success. 

I wasn’t trying to guarantee KD would win a ring in Brooklyn either. I was refuting your idea that he’ll somehow get rings with 3 teams when he only has a ring with one so far.

Getting to the Finals 9 times is impressive regardless of conference. To have that level of success over such a lengthy period is something that should be lauded. He couldn't have done it without switching teams, but it's impressive all the same. And he's about to make the Finals from the West as well. His record in the Finals isn't that great. He probably should have won a couple of more championships, but he ran into two dynasties. He still has time to rectify that though. If LeBron and AD win this year, they would have to be favorites to win the next championship as well. I'm not a huge fan of LeBron, but I do kind of hope he wins another ring for his legacy's sake. I just wish it wasn't with the Lakers. 

My point about KD was that he was one of the guys with the potential to team hop and win multiple championships, not that he'll actually do it. 

On one hand, the only year LeBron lost that I think you can really credibly argue that his team should've won is 2011.

On the other, I think he has two (2013 and 2016) that he won despite playing against a superior team.

It's the same argument people made a lot about "Montana never lost a Super Bowl so Brady can't be better than him" even as Brady got 50% more rings and over double as many conference titles.

Setting aside Russell's obvious 11-1 Finals record, I'll take Kareem's 6-4 over literally every other player every, insomuch that a Finals record is a good basis for a GOAT argument.

Right now, 3-6 is still impressive as hell, but if LeBron picks up a couple more rings, it's gonna add a lot to his argument. In the unlikely event he actually were to get 3 more, 6-6 would be the most impressive Russell. I don't think that'll happen unless the Lakers somehow get one more guy, but as long we're talking hypotheticals...

EDIT: As for the weak conference thing, nobody bags on Magic and Kareem for dominating a piss poor West.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1