DVDVR Message Board

2020 NBA OFFSEASON

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, SorceressKnight said:

Honestly, even that was the problem with a team trying to be rebuilt from orbit, since even just tanking "once" is not enough to make a contender. If a team tanks to get a top pick once and lucks into winning the lottery...great. You got ONE All-Star. Doesn't matter since right now in the NBA, One All-Star MIGHT get you to the playoffs, but you need at least two All-Stars to have a chance at a playoff run...and in all likeliness, you'll need at least three to have a chance at a championship.

MAYBE one generational talent on your team is enough to get you to the 8 seed in the East and put you in "pretty bad but not bad enough" territory- and in the process, guarantee when they're eligible for free agency, the All-Star is running away from the team and going to a super-team. Hence, your only hope to tank isn't just tanking for one year,  but tanking enough years to get the amount of All-Stars to make a super-team (and thus have title hopes and/or make your team a destination for top free agents.)

Our world champion Toronto Raptors didn't have to do that...not even one top ten pick on their roster last year!

That is a huge anomaly though and you guys got Kawhi under unusual conditions to say the least. You can luck out and land Giannis or Mitchell in the middle of the first round but the odds are pretty low. I actually agree with SorceressKnight on this one. The NBA more so than any other league is one in which you're either contending or tanking in order to contend. Being on the treadmill to mediocrity is a death sentence, or worse yet where Fowler said Detroit has been, just above absolutely terrible. That is why if I were a fan and my team's window to challenge had closed I'd be for Hinkie-ism and be upset if they refused to rebuild. And if you're going to tank I think it makes sense to tank really badly for 2 or 3 years then start providing veteran support for the young players to instill the right mentality. It isn't a guarantee for success in the NBA (Philly) or the NHL (Edmonton) but it sure seems the right way to go about it rather than clutch on to whatever shit you can grab and finish 9th in your conference and celebrate finishing 8th only to get swept. You can't win without a superstar and incredible supporting staff, or likelier two superstars and good support. I am happy that the league has moved away from the super teams though. Having a few teams with 3 superstars was greedy as hell and really threw everything out of whack. It gave us 1 or 2 good series of great playoff basketball. Next round has several series that should be excellent (though I don't think anybody outside of the respective fanbases is looking forward to Boston vs. Toronto). 

Edited by Jiji

22 minutes ago, Jiji said:

So how do we get Ben Simmons in Portland with Dame? 

A package centered around McCollum works salary wise and might do it if his back isn't too fucked up.

I'm not sure playing Simmons and Nurkic together leaves them with enough shooting, though.

Dame, Collins, and Hood if he can find any semblance of his game after Achilles surgery? I feel like that's a pretty good balance. They'd have to give up a lot more than CJ, like Simons and a 1st. Maybe more? And then at that point you have to question if it makes sense, don't you? Still a hard yes from me though.

Oh and they have Ariza but he's being put in every Portland fantasy trade, lol.

Aaron Gordon is the actual big name that kind of makes sense and isn't a pipe dream. Very good, sometimes elite, defender but inconsistent offensively. I don't think you give up CJ's scoring support for that.

Edited by Jiji

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I saw an article suggesting Denver send a package around one one of their wings for Simmons. Get shooting for Philly, defense for Denver.

Is Porter's potential enough for Philly to gamble on? Would they be wanting a more established star back for somebody who has Giannis-level of potential?

10 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Is Porter's potential enough for Philly to gamble on? Would they be wanting a more established star back for somebody who has Giannis-level of potential?

I'd guess Philly would ask for both Porter and Murray, and Denver would try to talk them down to one of them plus picks, etc.

On 8/26/2020 at 11:08 AM, Jiji said:

The NBA more so than any other league is one in which you're either contending or tanking in order to contend. Being on the treadmill to mediocrity is a death sentence, or worse yet where Fowler said Detroit has been, just above absolutely terrible.

Rockets never tanked.

On 8/30/2020 at 5:55 PM, Brian Fowler said:

I'd guess Philly would ask for both Porter and Murray, and Denver would try to talk them down to one of them plus picks, etc.

Asking for Porter and Murray for Josh Smith 2.0 would get Brand's number blocked.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cole Miner said:

Asking for Porter and Murray for Josh Smith 2.0 would get Brand's number blocked.

Simmons might be the best multi-position defender in the NBA. Denver desperately needs someone that can guard all-stars.

That said, Murray looked like a breakout star against Utah. Be interesting to see if that was just a hot streak/good matchup or if he can be that guy consistently.

On 9/3/2020 at 9:50 AM, Jiji said:

Okay, I just woke up but did just really read that Steve Nash is going to coach the Nets? Your first job is coaching Durant and Irving? Oh good luck brother. 

Remember that this isn't the first time the Nets hired a legendary point guard with no prior experience to be their new coach (Jason Kidd).

Do you think the Bucks fire Budenholzer? And do you have a prediction for what happens with Giannis? Seems like four possibilities:

1. Signs the super max extension with a lowered cap
  2. Signs a 1+1 deal like LeBron has in the past to wait until the cap goes back up and keep his options open
  3. Traded in the offseason after he doesn't extend
  4. Neither re-signs or is traded and they go into next year with the doomsday clock ticking.

13 hours ago, Jiji said:

Do you think the Bucks fire Budenholzer? And do you have a prediction for what happens with Giannis? Seems like four possibilities:

1. Signs the super max extension with a lowered cap
  2. Signs a 1+1 deal like LeBron has in the past to wait until the cap goes back up and keep his options open
  3. Traded in the offseason after he doesn't extend
  4. Neither re-signs or is traded and they go into next year with the doomsday clock ticking.

I would guess that Bud keeps his job due to a combination of not wanting to pay his buyout and a lack of clear upgrades on the market.  If anything the assistant coaches probably get shuffled around.

As for Giannis I would rank the options 2-1-4-3 with a pretty big gap between 2 & 1.  I think he at least gives them a chance to make changes before he thinks about bailing.  My gut is that he ends up staying in Milwaukee, but that might be wishful thinking on my part.

Rumor is the Bucks are going to pursue a trade for CP3, which sounds good but I'm not crazy about the idea of them getting even older and less athletic.

• Like 1

I missed this last night but Marvin Williams announced his retirement after 15 seasons.

He played over 30000 minutes and scored nearly 11000 points in his career and I'm guessing the only thing most people could tell you about him was "drafted ahead of Chris Paul"

I had no idea he had been around that long. He was very good in Charlotte for a bit there and had an early surge in Atlanta too. Absolutely an under the radar guy. His offense was largely gone by this point but his defense and rebounding were impressive.

CP3 to Milwaukee sounds very interesting if the plan is to stay the course and improve rather than rebuild or reshuffle. Throw in Dort and I'll be a very happy camper. And it sounds like with a contract that massive, OKC couldn't be demanding that much back in terms of value.