DVDVR Message Board

UFC 252: Miočić vs. Cormier III (8/15/2020) - Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Elsalvajeloco

GIF of THAT eye poke:

giphy.gif

I'm not a squeamish person usually. This was an exception. Eyes are such a crucial part of a person's anatomy, their way of life. It upset me how my Mum's sight went down hill. I hope Daniel Cormier's going to be okay. 

Daniel Cormier's MMA records:

Key wins.

Jeff Monson

Bigfoot Silva

Josh Barnett

Frank Mir

Roy Nelson

Dan Henderson

Anthony Johnson

Alexander Gustafsson

Anderson Silva

Stipe Miocic

Achievements.

Fifth fighter to win UFC Championships in two weight classes: UFC Light Heavyweight Championship then the UFC Heavyweight Championship.

Cormier is one of four fighters to have held two UFC championships simultaneously (Conor McGregor, DC, Amanda Nunes and Henry Cejudo).

DC was the first champion to successfully defend UFC titles in two different divisions.

Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix Champion.

Verdict.

One of the best MMA fighters ever. Thank you, Daniel Cormier.

daniel-cormier.jpg

Edited by The Natural

I haven't watched it back but everyone else heard Daniel Cormier asking his corner if he was dropped(after he was dropped in the second) and they were saying "No", right? No one on commentary said shit about it and I thought I was imagining it.

It was tough to watch after that and then the eye poke happened. Was amazed he did as well as he did in the last 10 minutes.

• Like 2

the eye poke by Miocic was brutal. in DC's post fight, it very much sounded like he was attributing the loss to that, at least to a more than average amount. but let's not forget that DC poked Stipe in the eyes in both previous fights, PLUS earlier in this one!

I don't think I want to see more hype videos of DC trying to write his story. I was kind of sick of it during the hype for this fight. 

Like he kept saying this would mean he was the best Heavyweight ever, and .... no I don't think it would. He's needy as hell for that kind of shit. 

I can already hear him saying "Last fight I got poked in the eye and I didn't want to go out like that. But now I can come back and finish my career on my own terms. Aleksei Oleinik has done it all, and if I beat him tonight I'll be the greatest shiniest star in the whole sky." 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

How did Goddard not see that eyepoke?

Goddard's mistake happened within a split second, the doc fucked up for two five minute rounds and two breaks in between rounds, in one where Cormier audibly said "I cannot see" (or something like that).

8 minutes ago, Robert s said:

Goddard's mistake happened within a split second, the doc fucked up for two five minute rounds and two breaks in between rounds, in one where Cormier audibly said "I cannot see" (or something like that).

I get it but Stipe basically drove his entire finger into Daniel's eyesocket. Cormier was right in saying it was knuckle deep when he was arguing with Goddard. But hey, that's what instant replay is for.

21 hours ago, jaedmc said:

I don't think I want to see more hype videos of DC trying to write his story. I was kind of sick of it during the hype for this fight. 

Like he kept saying this would mean he was the best Heavyweight ever, and .... no I don't think it would. He's needy as hell for that kind of shit. 

I can already hear him saying "Last fight I got poked in the eye and I didn't want to go out like that. But now I can come back and finish my career on my own terms. Aleksei Oleinik has done it all, and if I beat him tonight I'll be the greatest shiniest star in the whole sky." 

Every fighter wants that Cinderella/Rocky story but those are fairy tales. And no combat athlete gets to script their own ending. Cormier has to come to terms with that. 

How many people wish Wanderlei Silva had just retired after the Brian Stann fight? That would've been the perfect note for him to go out on. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jiji said:

That's pretty good, right? 

First fight did 380k on traditional PPV, the second fight in the ESPN+ era probably did around the same or a little more, and this one did 500k. I would say that's good.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2020 at 11:17 AM, twiztor said:

the eye poke by Miocic was brutal. in DC's post fight, it very much sounded like he was attributing the loss to that, at least to a more than average amount. but let's not forget that DC poked Stipe in the eyes in both previous fights, PLUS earlier in this one!

You live by the eye poke...

• jaedmc unpinned this topic