DVDVR Message Board

Raw 10-28-13

MGFanJay

On the ratings, 3 hours is a killer.  It drags the # down.  People know to watch at 8 now, unlike in the past when they'd do 3 hour specials and they'd get the big spike at 9 because people didn't realize.  Now people know, but only idiots and masochists like us can sustain through the full show.  The rating drops in hour 2 and drops in hour 3 because people just don't want to watch a wrestling show for that long, not to mention that a lot of RAW is "filler" now.  I like that a lot of the talent gets to be on TV on Mondays now, but a lot of it people will just change the channel on.

When you see the breakdowns now there's huge segment to segment swings, in addition to the usual patterns.  To the guy who blamed the contract signing, I bet it did a good #.  People are conditioned to tune in to the last segment, and everyone was expecting Big Show or Vince or some big angle there.  That had zero negative impact on ratings.

Also, it's fall.  The NFL always takes a bite out of their ratings.  It was worse before MNF moved to ESPN and SNF became the showcase national game.  I know this, you all should know this, and WWE sure as hell knows it.  Which is why it's so amazing when people still talk about the fall ratings drop like it matters and try to pin blame on anything but the obvious.  The WWE does it as well, and often panics.  It's hilarious.

The length of the show is really the only problem with it.  I really have a hard time finding nearly 3 hours before smackdown on friday to watch it.  If the last few months had been 2hr shows they would've been awesome.  I have no complaints about the current booking outside of the fact that I'm not conditioned to follow a wwe story that goes more than 3 weeks anymore.

It doesn't help that there are a lot of replays on Raw. Even if you miss a segment they'll replay the highlights a couple times that night, on Main Event and on Smackdown. Kind of have to, if people keep tuning in and out. NFL only has a few more weeks of games with any purpose though. In two weeks its MIA @ TB. Only Lions fans like myself rooting for Tampa and the Jaguars to go 0-16 care about that game.

It doesn't help that there are a lot of replays on Raw. Even if you miss a segment they'll replay the highlights a couple times that night, on Main Event and on Smackdown. Kind of have to, if people keep tuning in and out. NFL only has a few more weeks of games with any purpose though. In two weeks its MIA @ TB. Only Lions fans like myself rooting for Tampa and the Jaguars to go 0-16 care about that game.

Welcome to the Wrecking Krue lad, your badge and photo ID is with Jae. Don't trust him though, he's a fucking Chicagoan.

Any chance "the devil" is heyman? or maddox? guerrero?

I was convinced they meant Kane had something to do with it. After being captured and indoctrinated to the Wyatt cult had Kane convinced them to go after D-Bry who IIRC was responsible for the break up of Hell No?

Actually, if Kane working for Steph is actually a Wyatt family plan to get the McMahons...

I would love it if this happened or if the Wyatt Family were sent by a satanic Vince after his daughter and son-in-law. And then, after that, Bray tried to take the McMahons out as well.I really was hoping the Wyatt's debut would be them taking out Vince/Steph/HHH all at once and forcing Brad Maddox into doing their bidding. But that might have been asking them too much -- test the waters first and go from there.Anyways, I love the potential of all this.

• Like 1

Maybe we are starting to see the WWE version of Cabin in the Woods with Wyatts trying to save the world.

I'd prefer them recreating Tucker & Dale vs. Evil.

Only if we get Miz through a woodchipper. Wow, that was a little mean.

Anyways, I love the potential of all this.

Theres the key word. Call me a WWE apologist or whatever, but despite the screwy finishes on every PPV since August, theres enough little cross-references and coincidences scattered around this and other storylines to make me want to hold out and wait and see what happens. For all the bemoaning of the lack of long-term storytelling we see on the net, when there's a potentially over-arching, company-wide storyline going on, all you can see is BERRIED~! comments everywhere. That little goat face fella has to go through hell before he gets to heaven. I hope.

(and I highlighted potentially, as there is ALWAYS the possiblilty I'm seeing this wrong and it's being monumentally fucked up week by week)

• Like 1

Theres the key word. Call me a WWE apologist or whatever, but despite the screwy finishes on every PPV since August, theres enough little cross-references and coincidences scattered around this and other storylines to make me want to hold out and wait and see what happens. For all the bemoaning of the lack of long-term storytelling we see on the net, when there's a potentially over-arching, company-wide storyline going on, all you can see is BERRIED~! comments everywhere. That little goat face fella has to go through hell before he gets to heaven. I hope.

(and I highlighted potentially, as there is ALWAYS the possiblilty I'm seeing this wrong and it's being monumentally fucked up week by week)

Wrestling fans like complaining about how things were better in previous eras or how they could do things better. I have no idea what everyone's talking about Bryan being buried or the angle being ruined or HHH's ego or etc. It's been great. Stuff can happen and the story can get f'd up but until it actually does I won't complain.

But it has been fucked up. Bryan is less over, less exciting than when he entered this storyline. How can the common fan believe in him after he repeatedly failed to hold onto the belt and outsmart the heels? The one thing you never do is let your fans down when it matters, and Bryan was booked to do so. 

• Like 2

Exactly - how could he not singlehandedly overcome Triple H, Randy Orton and Shawn Michaels?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD5H9D0CRLA

Here you have Taker winning a handicap match against Austin and HHH, with Vince running interference. This is what main-event babyfaces do in WWE.

But the over-arcing storyline is about Triple H and Vince McMahon, not Daniel Bryan.

Exactly - how could he not singlehandedly overcome Triple H, Randy Orton and Shawn Michaels?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD5H9D0CRLA

Here you have Taker winning a handicap match against Austin and HHH, with Vince running interference. This is what main-event babyfaces do in WWE.

Daniel Bryan is a long way from being the Undertaker. 

Well not now.,,,,,,

The same way Austin overcame Triple H, Randy Orton Mike Tyson, and Shawn Michaels to win his first title?

I'm getting tired of all the cliches about how "the money's in the chase" and all that BS. WWE's most over faces weren't over because they came up short repeatedly but had excuses. They were over because they kicked lots of ass and won lots of matches/titles, even when the odds were stacked against them.

• Like 1

But it has been fucked up. Bryan is less over, less exciting than when he entered this storyline. How can the common fan believe in him after he repeatedly failed to hold onto the belt and outsmart the heels? The one thing you never do is let your fans down when it matters, and Bryan was booked to do so. 

Wait, did you actually mean to say that Bryan is now more over with the crowd than he was in late July? Have you heard the pops and YES! chants. He is probably(he is) the most over face in WWE.