DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 8/12/2020

Dolfan in NYC

That's a real Bram stealth booking, that. They're theoretically unopposed (by Wrestling, I mean) next week, and instead of doing something to hype next week's show and hopefully grab a rating, they bring him back. Not a good move.

AEW: We're going to have a guy who performed a concert during a pandemic wrestle in our main event. We'll win the morally questionable booking decision of the night for sure!

Vince: Hold my beer...

Edited by mystman
  • Like 2

Best part of the night: the ring announcer channeling the early-90's Pace Salsa commercials in saying Damian Priest is from Neeeeew York City.

Second best part of the night: the random picture of Dok Hendrix in Johnny and Candice's living room.

Worst part of the night: throwing up in my mouth seeing Dream's return. The same feeling I get when I still see Justin Roberts in AEW.

I enjoyed Kross/Bruch and the segment with Lee. Only thing I didn't like was the after with the constant split focus on Lee being treated and Drake/Dain. Focus on one or the other.

Didn't pay a super amount of attention to Breeze/Escobar or Priest/Reed. What I saw from both looked solid enough, but my attention was focused elsewhere with the former. With the latter Priest just does little for me despite thinking he is perfectly solid. I did like Reed winning with a flash pin. With Reed's weight it just makes sense Priest couldn't kick out.

Really dug Io's promo vid.

Mercedes/Aliayah vs. Kacy/Kayden was pretty darn fun. Kacy & Kayden have gotten better as a team, and its nice to see Kacy upgrade her gear. I loved the the post match with Mercedes pushing a hugging happy Aliyah away. The attack by Rhea & Shotzi was also nice. Looking forward to more of this feud.

Skipped the main event just now after hearing Dream's music. I liked Dream before the SpeakingOut stuff, but after that I have no idea why the fuck they think its a good idea to bring him back even remotely. Pretty much will be skipping his stuff just like I do Riddle on Smackdown.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Peck said:

Best part of the night: the ring announcer channeling the early-90's Pace Salsa commercials in saying Damian Priest is from Neeeeew York City.

Second best part of the night: the random picture of Dok Hendrix in Johnny and Candice's living room.

Worst part of the night: throwing up in my mouth seeing Dream's return. The same feeling I get when I still see Justin Roberts in AEW.

That's the thing. None of the promotions are clean. WWE/NXT have Riddle and Dream. ROH has Scrull. Some are trying to ignore Ospreay enabling his friend. AEW has Roberts and Havoc. Even Guevara being back feels scummy.

Legally, WWE clearly thinks Dream isn't going to be arrested and charged. I can't imagine they'd bring him back if there was any chance of that happening.

That doesn't mean he or the others are innocent. They should not be on TV at all until all the issues are completely resolved and the investigation being transparent for fans.

It's the greatest disappointment to know how many found the courage to come forward during Speaking Out, and we're back to the same mindset a few weeks later. I'm not surprised. But disappointed for sure.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

AEW has Roberts and Havoc. Even Guevara being back feels scummy.

I'm 100% in agreement about Roberts as he needs to go.  Dasha is a much better announcer anyway unless she's sticking with wrestling.  In that case since Shaul's there doing the women's tag tournament I wouldn't mind seeing her announcing full time in place of Roberts.  At least Havoc's been gone but I hope they quietly let him go.

As for Sammy it's tough because he said something really fucked up but he did reach out to Sasha and was out to do sensitivity training.  So while I still think less of him after all that I don't have the issues with him on TV like I do Roberts.  Unlike Roberts it at least seems like things were done.

As far as Dream coming back I'm just not going to watch the segment.  The fucker shouldn't be back and should be fired and charged.  I only saw the Kross match so far and liked it.  So hopefully the rest is fine.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

1 hour ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

That's the thing. None of the promotions are clean. WWE/NXT have Riddle and Dream. ROH has Scrull. Some are trying to ignore Ospreay enabling his friend. AEW has Roberts and Havoc. Even Guevara being back feels scummy.

Legally, WWE clearly thinks Dream isn't going to be arrested and charged. I can't imagine they'd bring him back if there was any chance of that happening.

That doesn't mean he or the others are innocent. They should not be on TV at all until all the issues are completely resolved and the investigation being transparent for fans.

It's the greatest disappointment to know how many found the courage to come forward during Speaking Out, and we're back to the same mindset a few weeks later. I'm not surprised. But disappointed for sure.

Great post, @Burgundy LaRue. Thank you for it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doc Townsend said:

What's the sudden objection to Dream about?

From a couple of the comments above. I'm assuming that he was mentioned in the sleaze thread that was pinned a month or so back, but I skipped that thread entirely.

There's pretty credibly evidence that he has a pattern of grooming/propositioning underage girls via social media. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Beech27 said:

There's pretty credibly evidence that he has a pattern of grooming/propositioning underage girls via social media. 

3 hours ago, Infinit said:

I think he was grooming/propositoning teen boys too. Pretty sure one of the victim's name that spoke out was Josh.

I thought with Dream it was specifically underage boys. Austin Theory was the one messing with underage girls. At this point I assume his ass will be back too soon enough.

Edited by Eivion

I don't generally watch NXT, but was intrigued to see Karrion Kross and what WOR hyped as a great angle with Keith Lee.  Kross is indeed impressive, but there's some work to do to make his scary intensity go from goofy to great.  But he's good.  All the smoke and bullshit entrance is unique, but also kinda lame.  The segment in question was interesting in that I'd never heard Keith Lee talk.  He seems very capable on the mic.  And Scarlett is good in her role.  The explosion would have actually been kinda cool if they hadn't taken soooo long to tell us that something 'crazy' is going on by all the close-up shots of the contract, etc.  So stoopid.  And then the classic WWE oversell of an injury angle making it more annoying than concerning.  I only skimmed a few more segments, lots of 'factions' attacking.  I've always known NXT to have loads of talent, but this show just bores me to tears.  

9 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

AEW has Roberts 

What a world we live in when I read that and to do the mental gymnastics of “yeah Jake lived a destructive life and hurt a ton of people... oh wait, I think Burgundy is talking about Justin Roberts”

Imagine being more toxic to a brand than Jake Roberts for crying out loud!

I don’t know what Killian Dain has done to upset the office, but man I felt so bad for him (Drake too) the first couple of minutes I’m mostly watching Keith Lee being blind and angry in split screen, then they cut to commercial, then when they come back Tiny, Tiny Adam Cole and his crew do a run in. 

• Like 3

Putting the negative thoughts aside for a minute, a few comments a couple of days late due to time difference and night shift.

Danny Burch gave Kross almost a better fight than Dijakovic did, which is surprising and cool at the same time. Kross destroying and no-selling everyone on his way to the top reminds me of '91 Undertaker and the matches he had with the midcarders. You didn't think they had a chance, but still wanted to see how much of a fight they are able to put up against him. That's nice.

Fireballs from within the contract? Does this make Scarlett "Mama Shango" , or is she just so hot that she makes things spontaneously combust by touching them? Actually, I'm willing to buy either of those theories.

I was surprised that Killian Dain vs Drake Maverick happened, but the reasons for the match taking place became obvious in less than a minute. Too bad.

McAfee is a douche. By the way, there apparently WAS a character named Pat on Bold and the Beautiful for a few episodes, but I had to scroll the cast all the way back to 1996. So, I guess the stable I suggested would make even more sense.

Bronson Reed rules! Big win for him, too! I wonder if winning the North American title at Takeover XXX would eclipse his previous career highlight of appearing on Deadpool 2 talking about his "prison wallet", befriending Juggernaut and starting fires with his mind... wait, what?

Kacy Catanzaro (sp?) is just the best. I'm so glad she came back, although it probably would have been better for her to just run. Run, and never , ever look back. Still, I will never complain about her choice to come back.

Well, at least Cameron Grimes won. I think there's a decent chance of him walking away with the title at Takeover and I have absolutely no problems with that.

Io-Kai and Mercedes-Rhea should both rule hard.

Oh, and I wish Pete Dunne could come back soon. It sucks that he can't be around kicking Thatcher's ass!

• Like 3