DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 8/12/2020

Dolfan in NYC

6 hours ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

Eeeugghh - I hate Cody's entourage, especially for a minimal build against someone whose wins have come on Dark. Also, the door gimmick for Sky made no sense, he kicked it out from the side that was "no admittance" meaning he was already where he wasn't supposed to be ?

LOOOOOL

I thought the same thing; glad somebody else noticed that.  Maybe someone locked him in and didn't want anyone letting him out?

• Like 1

i think the problem with MJF is they are trying to make him as douchey as possible but more professional at the same time.  In the indies MJF idea of heel heat was to be loud and rather racist/homophobic.   Because he was created in the CZW way to things.    If he did the kind of stuff he does on the indies on AEW he would be gone from the company a while ago.  He hasn't figured that edge of the cliff yet in AEW.   as far as the match with Moxley, my biggest problem is that it should have happened about 3 months ago when he was on fire winning the ring and beating Cody on a PPV.  He has been stuck in mid card land with Jungle Boy 

Personally my biggest problem with Justin Roberts is how he introduces Orange Cassidy.  It comes off like reading cue cards and not really understanding the character.  When Dasha does it you hear the lazy attitude.  

* Tully Blanchard's promo during the otherwise pretty rubbish tag-team appreciation bit was GOLD. He had me believing he could kick my ass, their asses, everyone's asses. Makes you wonder what might have happened if he hadn't been virtually blackballed for being a cokehead back in the day.

* Chris Jerich-no. Yeah, he's fifty years old and probably has Covid, but Jericho was NOT at the races this week, taking flat back bumps for Dragon Screws and falling the wrong way for OC's mousetrap finisher. It's a measure of OC's quality that he managed to make it look okay but they just did not gel well at all, and the finish had to be rushed before the fell off the air. It happens, but at least OC got the big win and the big $7000.

* "That was a $200 silk shirt!"

* The Dark Order are becoming a tidy little stable, and Evil Uno & Stu "Fuck off JR" Grayson are showing the form they apparently had before I started watching wrestling again. Brodie Lee has me even a slightly bit excited for a Cody title defense, and there's a storyline bubbling involving NINE, apparently. Yeah, even NINE has better stories than the women.

* The women's division is really struggling and it's almost as if they're of the mind that the matches on Dark and on the Deadly Draw make up for the lack of women's involvement on the main show. I don't want to care so much about this but there's the nuggets of a good division, even if Riho & Yuki are stuck in Japan, and Britt & Kris Stadt are injured. Heather Monroe was OKAY but okay's not good enough for national TV.

* There are times when you look at Luchasaurus and wonder just how the WWE let him go and then you remember that he's only actually 6' 5" but looks much bigger here. Anyway, the Jurassic Express are such a great unit, with Marko managing to be both lovable AND make you smile when Kenny Omega kills him.

* The TNT title isn't working. At heart, a TV title should be a stepping stone, for wrestlers not ready for the main event scene, and it has been that except that the champion is a main-eventer and so it's unlikely any of them will ever beat him, especially when it's used to put him in programs. The old TV title rule of six wins and out should be brought back, and Cody should move on to not being involved in the world title picture.

* I love MJF but the whole MJF 2020 thing is off. I get that it plays to his strengths but Mox is a weird target for these attacks and it's an odd fit.

• Like 3

Just now, Linus said:

* Tully Blanchard's promo during the otherwise pretty rubbish tag-team appreciation bit was GOLD. He had me believing he could kick my ass, their asses, everyone's asses. Makes you wonder what might have happened if he hadn't been virtually blackballed for being a cokehead back in the day.

Tully is really, really, really good on the mic. They gotta find more shit for him to do.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Linus said:

* The TNT title isn't working. At heart, a TV title should be a stepping stone, for wrestlers not ready for the main event scene, and it has been that except that the champion is a main-eventer and so it's unlikely any of them will ever beat him, especially when it's used to put him in programs. The old TV title rule of six wins and out should be brought back, and Cody should move on to not being involved in the world title picture.

I feel like this is their version of giving Nakamura the IWGP Intercontinental title to establish it before a young guy beats him for it. It's not a bad idea but the open challenge format has legs for only so long and its time feels like it's just about up. It gave us Eddie Kingston and some good matches, so it wasn't a failure by any stretch but to basically have Cody go through the entirety of the midcard with no build is gonna get to the point where it does more harm than good. I feel like Sky did not come out of his match with Cody looking better than he did before. Most guys have though.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I feel like this is their version of giving Nakamura the IWGP Intercontinental title to establish it before a young guy beats him for it. It's not a bad idea but the open challenge format has legs for only so long and its time feels like it's just about up. It gave us Eddie Kingston and some good matches, so it wasn't a failure by any stretch but to basically have Cody go through the entirety of the midcard with no build is gonna get to the point where it does more harm than good. I feel like Sky did not come out of his match with Cody looking better than he did before. Most guys have though.

Yeah, all this.  I was wondering yesterday what the point of this belt is.  It would be good if, like you say, the idea is for Cody to give it some value before someone else takes it off him.  So far, the belt has just been "Cody beats guys who (in kayfabe) aren't in his league with no storyline or buildup" and really how far can that go before it gets repetitive and dull?

I'm actually hoping Cody's "tonedeaf babyface" routine is just a heel act, in which he gets more egotistical and heelish as time goes on.  He's been using his power to mostly fight lower card guys as he racks up defenses.  Then he declares his belt is more valuable than Moxley's and he challenges him for the world title as a full fledged heel, claiming he'll bring real prestige to the world title the same way he did the TNT title. 

I mean come on.  I don't like Cody too much and even I think he's not dumb enough to believe having himself announced as "THE PRINCE OF PRO WRESTLING" is a babyface move.

One more thing: how has Brodie Lee earned a TNT title shot?  Winning one tag match?  He just challenged for the world title and lost not too long ago.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Thanks 1

I had to go back and make sure I heard that right. The Prince of Pro Wrestling, flanked by 38 people. Douche levels off the charts. It's going to be the best moment of AEW's short history when they finally pull the trigger. He reminds me of early Ace Tanahashi where he's delusional in not understanding why fans dislike his egotistical preening. "BUT I'M THE GOOD GUY, YOU GUYS."

• Like 2

I'd actually be cool with Cody losing the belt to overconfidence/banana peel finish, to some guy that appears to be a real no-hoper. The ole' Razor Ramon/123 Kid bit. Almost every match they are kinda teasing this with Cody doing pushups and Arn giving him shit for it.

I was actually thinking about Cody today and the lack of crowds. I wonder if they had crowds this whole time if Cody would have fully turned heel. As it is, they don't have much to go off of, but I'm willing to bet that more and more people would have started to boo Cody. Prior to the pandemic, Tony and everyone else showed they were pretty flexible with changing directions and listening to fans. I bet this would be a case where they would have pushed Cody more and more towards being a heel.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

One more thing: how has Brodie Lee earned a TNT title shot?

Scorp beat a bunch of jobbers on the B-show. Warhorse, Kingston, and Starks debuted by getting a shot. Jungle Boy was coming off a loss to MJF. with this history, doesn't everyone deserve a shot?

• Like 2

Jungle Boy was coming off winning a Battle Royal to get the first title shot. Eliminated MJF and Orange Cassidy to get the win.

• Like 1

I dunno, I'm willing to give the company the benefit of the doubt about the direction of the tv title and see where they take us. I figure with how they stuck by the Dark Order and we now have them with direction and meaning, adding wins to the guys who were on losing streaks, etc., that probably theres a roadmap for where the tv title takes us.

Lmao or probably not, no fucking idea 

Can't really agree with Scorpio should have been built up better and gotten more hype for his match, not when Starks and Kingston and Warhorse walked in out from nowhere to challenge Cody

But different strokes and all that I guess 

The one thing I appreciated, Jericho looked like he HAD to be muscled into position to eat the pin. Way too often you hear how shit looks choreographed and how its interpretive dance or whatever the criticisms are Cornette lobs at modern wrestling. 

The Cassidy twisting roll up, this didn't look seamless and didnt appear like they were cooperating. Jericho legit looked lost which way is up and down and Cassidy just used Jericho being off balance to out power him and force the pin. 

Edited by Hayabusa
  • Like 2

On 8/13/2020 at 10:18 AM, HarryArchieGus said:

Not as a bad slur to a generation that mostly knows the latter Richard somewhat interchangeable with Mero's Johnny B Badd. 

Sir, the 50+ audience is watching a different wrestling show.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I want to like Evil Uno, but I'm always fixated on him slapping his thigh for not only every one of his moves, but for all his opponent's moves too. It's super distracting and excessive to the point of potentially being high concept commentary on the use of the thigh slap. 

18 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Highlights with the finish for Cassidy/Jericho so everyone knows what we're talking about.

Haha wow. I didn't actually watch this show but god that is horrendous. Sort of amazed they've put it online - incredible botch job.

I have an question about the ratings from last week to this week, could the drop be an indication that and I like the angle the debate was great the matches have been fine the rematch yes was hindered from a less than smooth finish my question isn't about the angle in the sense of delivery as I am in interest could the drop indicate that more viewers are interested int he Moxley/Darby vs Team Taz angle than they are Jericho vs Cassidy? That's not necessarily bad thing as it would indicate AEW has an angle people are interested in.

On 8/14/2020 at 11:40 AM, Technico Support said:

One more thing: how has Brodie Lee earned a TNT title shot?  Winning one tag match?  He just challenged for the world title and lost not too long ago.

Standing open challenge for TNT title I suppose.

The TNT title can work. They just can't do what WWE did with Cena and the US title and have him lose it to someone like Del Rio.

Edited by TheVileOne

On 8/14/2020 at 2:49 PM, Jiji said:

I had to go back and make sure I heard that right. The Prince of Pro Wrestling, flanked by 38 people. Douche levels off the charts. It's going to be the best moment of AEW's short history when they finally pull the trigger. He reminds me of early Ace Tanahashi where he's delusional in not understanding why fans dislike his egotistical preening. "BUT I'M THE GOOD GUY, YOU GUYS."

If he goes the route of NXT Bo Dallas, it could be fun.

When you look at who he's defended against, it's Jungle Boy (babyface), Mark Quen (babyface), Ricky Starks (undefined but turned heel soon after), Jake Hager (heel), Sonny Kiss (babyface) Eddie Kingston (came in with a babyface backstory but is a natural heel),  WARHORSE (babyface) and Scorpio Sky (babyface). That's... a lot of nice guys who's dreams he's crushing.