DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 8/12/2020

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, mystman said:

I mean, I hate to be that guy, but MJF's whole gimmick is that he's an asshole who spouts bullshit, so...

True, but sometimes he does it well and other times, like this recent show, not so well.  It's the cute presidential campaign/insider talk design that seems to stealing some of the thunder from under him here. 

I'm not a JR hater, but i really wish he would stop referring to ppl, I think mostly or always Mjeff, as a 'Little Richard'.  The late great Little Richard just passed and deserves the proper respect for his great talent and performance innovations.  Not as a bad slur to a generation that mostly knows the latter Richard somewhat interchangeable with Mero's Johnny B Badd.  Strong recommendation to anyone that hasn't seen prime Richard to have a look at the early clips.  I mean, I don't wanna say JR is so wrong here, I just wish he'd stop with it. Love to Little Richard!

Edited by HarryArchieGus

Well aware of the Richard to Dick.  It was just a comment/complaint on how the name is also that of a legendary performer whom deserves better than being used as a slur.  All that said, not a big complaint, just a sidenote I felt like mentioning.    

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

JR seems to have quite a few catchphrases he's been working on that he's trying to get over, or thinks the polite laughter from Tony and Taz means it is over. I was waiting and waiting for him to say "don't call me dick grayson", and for a little while i thought he might've actually dropped it. But no, he said it. 

Jericho had an off night, but we can forgive him one here and there, can't we? I know we're all mad at him for the concert but up until now he's been gold pretty consistently. 

Tully cut a promo that snapped me out of the tag-team circle-jerk and made me feel like something important is about to go down. This Arn/Tully/Cody/FTR/Hangman/Bucks thing is all intertwined and I don't know where its going, but i'm along for the ride, BAH-GAHD!

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Yeah, but the Dictator Jon stuff doesn't make any sense. Moxley has been fighting everyone and doesn't have a power position in the company, the angle seems like it's shoehorned in so they can reference the election for whatever reason.

And @HarryArchieGusis right, Scorpio should have had some Dynamite wins before challenging. AEW is under this false impression YouTube is as good as TV but it's not. Being on Dark is not being on television, that counts for Sky's win streak and women's wrestling. Dynamite is your main show, things that matter need to happen there or else they don't feel like they matter. Sky is crazy talented but this one week build and a loss did him no favors.

Also, where are Starks and Cage? Still recovering?

The parts of AEW that are great remain great week to week so I don't want to complain too much but damn some of these issues are glaring.

The roster has gotten too big to feature everybody on Dynamite, and there's really no reason why they couldn't start using Dark as something more than taped match reps.  I'm not looking for intricate angles or even builds to ppv matches.  But why not add some flavour by giving some 'mic reps' for starters.  Also, do some small angles, and give us a couple preview placards on Dynamite for bigger or more meaningful bouts.  Why not test some of the ideas for the forthcoming TNT show?  Dark just seems like a waste as is.  I love this company, but I cannot sit and watch that show without skimming heavily.    

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Also, why is Mox so angry at MJF?  All he did was talk shit for two weeks.  These AEW insta-feuds are not so great.

He explained why in his promo. He said that last week MJF almost cost him his title that he's worked so hard for. It's actually a really nice way of elevating the title as something meaningful. 

• Like 3

Another thing... I was totally fine with Jericho going over because I knew OC would win one down the road. The second match felt a bit rushed, though last week's debate helped. The match however proved to be several steps down from the first one. Maybe they should've Jumbo/Misawa'd it, in hindsight. I'm guess we get the rubber match at All Out but will anybody care by then? Jericho is excellent at gathering heat for matches and this has been one of his few missteps so I'm willing to wait and see but man, last night was a let down. If that match delivered, we'd be much higher on the show as a whole. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

Also, where are Starks and Cage? Still recovering?

The parts of AEW that are great remain great week to week so I don't want to complain too much but damn some of these issues are glaring.

I think one of AEW's COVID strategies is to keep a certain percentage of talent, including pushed talent, off the show every week, just in case there's an outbreak, so they can keep going what with they have left.

You'd probably see Ricky and Jungle Boy go 20-30 if Jericho infected the roster last night.  And that's the reason folks are so mad as Jericho- they feel he endangered the promotion with the Sturgis stuff- it's a legit reason to be mad.

• Like 3

Good things:

A Bucks match I did not hate. This is progress. 

Omega beating up the interfering runt again. 

Tully punching Ricky Morton, and Ricky taking that spike piledriver from FTR. This was great. 

KILLER BAE. She's good, and I hope she sticks around. 

Moxley outsmarting MJF. 

Orange's match graphic saying he has a 1-0 record vs Jericho in debates. 

Meh things:

Cody's stupid posse coming out with him for his match. Poor Dustin somehow is getting used less than he did in WWE.

Chioda angle with Jericho. Felt very shoehorned into the show. Great hire for them, but just awkward. 

Bad things: 

Justin Roberts. He's their third best ring announcer. If they insist on putting Brandi on television every week, let her be the ring announcer, because she's way better than this fucking guy. 

MJF's promo talking about guys willing to look at the lights. Too much inside baseball for me, dawg. 

Finish to the main event. Overbooked with the bat and the ref and the low blow, and looked awkward. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I kinda liked Chioda’s introduction here.  His retrieval of the bat was a little bit of excitement before Jericho’s flub on the pin combo.  

I also think Dustin is better off working occasionally.  He feels almost like a special attraction to me.

I completely agree with your sentiments concerning Mjef.  Simplifying the direction here cutting out the insider nonsense and the silliness of the campaign would be a good start to getting this match build back on track.  That said, Mox’s promo was good.  I especially like him being so hot about Mjef’s near costly interference in the Darby bout.  Mox seems to be less cartoon wwe style mad and more serious lately.

Edited by HarryArchieGus

My main takeaway from this is that they really need to stop having their main events start with under 15 minutes to go. The TV time remaining thing is fine, but they should at least try and maintain the illusion that they begin each show intending for the main to get up to 20 minutes. As it is, they keep hyping me up for a match one week, and lowering my expectations for anything better than a solid TV match by the time it finally starts.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

It's a very old phrase and none of these examples are improper. "I admit to this fault but I wish you hadn't said it". Something to that effect. "Resemble" possibly being an intentional malprop-ing of "resent"? The joke is so old I have no idea.

I am almost positive I first heard that phrase in a Three Stooges short. I say it quite often now that I think about it.

I enjoyed most of the show, can’t wait until Excalibur is back announcing.
Jericho has always done the funky sell of the dragon screw (I remember it in his match with rookie Bryan in NXT). The other sloppiness, not so much excuse for, but I wouldn’t haul him over the coals for his occasionally bad physical performance. He does deserve it for the other stuff this week which was already well covered. 
I’m surprised there’s no comment on Scorpio doing the Davey Richards Special magic superplex revival pop-up in the Cody match. I agree he should (i) had a video package highlighting his achievements on Dark and then (ii) earning a steady string of 3-4 wins on Dynamite before the Cody challenge.

MJF shoot-tastic comments are a turn off, there’s a way to do it in the confines of the crafted wrestling reality but some of his lines just lazily cross into Russo Wrestlecrap. He should really look at Moxley’s body of believable promos in AEW, always making sense even when alluding to his previous frustrations etc.

Edited by Custos
  • Like 4

Bit of a come down after last week's show. Was let down by the main event which is a pity as I've been loving the feud and they're 2 of my absolute faves in AEW. Throwing the "will he, won't he" referee angle didn't work for me. Maybe if they'd made more of a deal out of the Inner Circle being banned from ringside, and talking up the wily veteran and master strategist that Jericho is would have helped. Really glad OC got his big win, but felt flat with the rushed ending. 

The tag team appreciation bit dragged. Could see FTR using the knee brace to attack almost immediately, but I did think that Spears was going to get involved. The aftermath was weird as well with the Bucks selling confusion rather than anger. 

Sometimes Jungle Boys offense has me really worried about his neck, like the weird knee bump off Luchasaurus' shoulders to a flip. That didn't leave him much space to rotate. I did enjoy his falling clothesline to Omega sitting down. I want to see more of those vicious moves from him because he brings real energy to them. 

Uno's gear is weird, and there's no link between his gear and Grayson's but I really enjoy them as a team. Their match with the Bucks was my favourite this week. Stu Grayson is a maniac! 

Bravo to whoever spotted the MJF - Samoa Joe call back. I like that Moxley isn't made to look an idiot and just outsmarted MJF. I found the tender way that Wardlow held MJF's hand afterwards both touching and hilarious. 

Eeeugghh - I hate Cody's entourage, especially for a minimal build against someone whose wins have come on Dark. Also, the door gimmick for Sky made no sense, he kicked it out from the side that was "no admittance" meaning he was already where he wasn't supposed to be ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1