DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 8/12/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Something else I liked: Proud and Powerful acting serious and like total dicks like last week again instead of stooging heels. They can be good at both and that's nice to see. 

Also Jake saying "That's a $200 silk shirt, man!"

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

I only watched the opener -It wasn't bad! I'm still cool on Evil Uno (His gimmick mystifies me. He dresses like a guy wrestling at a local Elk's Hall (I'm whatever on the mask, but it looked like his outfit was made on his mom's sewing machine and is starting to fray). Wrestles for the most part like late-era Hulk Hogan (eye pokes and back rakes!).  Stooges like 90s Goldust (Blowing kisses and kissing his partners on the top of the head...through his mask) and I don't understand why he wears a mask while his partner dresses like God of War) but the match was pretty solid even if there was a lot of guys standing and waiting for people to land on them- and then skipped ahead and watched the main -Pretty bad. The start was all right. But Jericho having no idea how to take Dragon Screws, the storyline with Chioda, the run-ins and the like made a simple story too convoluted.  All you had to do was have Jericho dominate Cassidy, then get cocky and rolled up for the loss. All the rest of the stuff, especially the Chioda stuff, felt like it was thrown in there so Jericho has an out for why he lost. For as much shit as people give Cody for not putting over the younger wrestlers, Jericho's probably been equally poor at actually putting guys over. The Cassidy loss is only his second singles loss in AEW, the other being the Moxley loss which he basically sloughed off by saying he didn't need a title to be Le Champion then they ditched the feud when covid came.-

I also am not watching a 5+ minute MJF promo, but should I watch the rest of the show?

• Like 1

You have an empty arena with limited fans back... and you stick them all in a big clump? Why?

Opener was a very good old-school formatted with new-school moves tag match. The kind with which you'd want to open tag team appreciation night.

I don't think we need another one of these MJF segments but I did enjoy the Joker reference on the guy who imitates Ledger's Joker. Nice touch. I need MJF out there with the neck brace for weeks, VKM vs. the feds style. TK getting bug eyed when he saw himself on the monitor tho. ?

Hangmin's reaction to Kenny naming the Bucks as the best tag team was top notch.

Cody/Scorp was, predictably, super smooth technically. It's time for the switch here though. Something with Page/Omega and Cody has got to give. I'm guessing it all comes to a head at All Out. Both Omega and Cody have been hinting heel (though, and I like Marko, the dragon suplex on Marko is a face move. Marko's babyface interference is the shits and has been since day 1. Super greedy boy.). Page's affinity for FTR is there too but it'd be throwing away money turning him heel instead of letting him run solo as a babyface. Anyway, the tag title match was kind of lacking a super finishing stretch which is weird for an Omega match because he's the best in the business at that shit. 

Tully is the man. Thank you for interrupting the mutual blowjob society bit. Get him away from that dork and get him with FTR right fucking now.

Sue's van on a pole match is going to be the match with the best build at All Out.

Main event was good but yeah, Jericho was clearly not at his best as everybody has mentioned. He didn't look too bad aesthetically but did drag down the finishing stretch. We did not need referee bullshit in the end of this match. Jericho turned the mouse trap into a cobra twist.

I remember really liking Taz on commentary during the SmackDown days. He's doing yeoman's work out there trying to piece together the team's strings. I like his attention to detail, breaking down move techniques and storylines. Taz providing colour, Tony being the awe shucks, happy to be there lapsed fan guy, and Excalibur calling the action is probably the best three man booth they can manage right now. Maybe in the future that's the team. I don't know if Tony's up to being a colour guy on his own for the big show. On AEW Dork it works just fine because the matches don't have much gravitas. When you're trying to sell big matches and PPVs, less so. He's great at his role though.

Chioda is one of the best. I really like the ref team but they've been done kinda dirty so far. Hopefully Chioda can bring some legitimacy and the entire company can move their treatments of refs away from joshi uselessness to something more traditional for American TV.

The ringside people did not sound like they were into it tonight compared to other nights and it really does put a damper on the match quality and buy-in. OR, likely, the taped shows have some canned audio going on and it helps a lot.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Peck said:

The weird thing is Monsoon ALWAYS said "I resemble that remark", which obviously makes zero sense. But it's like nobody ever bothered to correct him.

3/4 of what Monsoon said made zero sense. That's the appeal. 

5 hours ago, Jiji said:

You have an empty arena with limited fans back... and you stick them all in a big clump? Why?

It also felt that the crowd was less interested in the show if you judge by the noise.  I wonder if the "fans" near ringside thought that since we have crowds even small ones we don't have to be as worked up as possible.   but given that it seems that the real crowd was a good 20 feet away from ring that doesn't work.

• Like 2

I actually thought Brodie was going to be Cody’s All Out challenger, so seeing it booked for next week was a bit of a surprise for me.  With that happening now, I feel like maybe the booking is Cardona helping Cody against the DO again and then challenging for the belt at All Out.

I’m a little worried that the tag title match at All Out is going to be a 3 way with the Bucks and FTR.  There doesn’t seem to be any momentum to Kenny and Hangman dropping the belts to either of them prior to September, and with the way they’ve been running through the division lately, there isn’t really anyone else for them to defend against, except maybe a Brodie/Colt team.

The good stuff:

The two tag matches were good but not amazing.  Still, after last week's show, what would be?  Above average AEW matches are still really good.

Shida is the best and I really like when wrestlers get other things over as finishing moves instead of just using their regular finish every time.  The combination stretch muffler/Fujiwara armbar was nasty.

Orange won!  Now have him take the TNT title.

Excellent job by Kenny saving Jungle Jack's life on that dive.

I don't know where they're going with Kenny calling the Bucks the best team ever while sitting right next to his partner, and then snapping and beating the shit out of Marko again, but I'm here for it as the kids say.

The segment with the old guys was excellent.  Tully fucking brought it.  BROUGHT IT.  Why was Gibson wearing  at-shirt with himself and the guy from No Country for Old Men on it?  Nice to see the storyline progress with FTR giving up the nice guys/we're all friends act and just be conniving assholes.

So cool they hired Chioda.

I liked Cody showing up with all the people he got jobs for like he's AEW's MC Hammer.  Where was Cardona, though?  Maybe out tanning his armpits.  Cody beating Scorp made sense as he's a guy transitioning to single from tags.  Decent match.

Uno's redesigned mask looks less like Shark Boy, which is nice.

Not so good stuff:

JR mentions that Scorpio Sky could be the first African American world champion in AEW tonight. 1/3 of the audience yells at their TV about Scorp already winning the world tag title.  1/3 rushes to Wikipedia to see if Nyla is biracial.  1/3 throws their TVs out the window, frustrated that celebrating a non white person winning something in 2020 is retrograde as fuck.  Tony helps cover his tracks by subtly shifting the goalposts regarding titles to not make JR look like a dumb fossil.

I already mentioned how piss-poor Jericho's performance was.  It's awesome the guy is so sharp mentally and is so ready to put young guys over.  But he really needs to work on himself physically because he not only looks like shit but he botched a bunch of stuff, including the finish.

No Excalibur again.  Huh.  Also, no Aubrey Edwards, I think?

+5 points for MJF vaguely referencing Heath Ledger's Joker to goof on Mox's promo ability in a roundabout way.  Minus one million points for MJF getting all worky shooty again by saying Mox doesn't want to work someone who won't look at the lights for him.  FUCK THIS RUSSO ASS SHIT.  Come on my dudes.  Also, why is Mox so angry at MJF?  All he did was talk shit for two weeks.  These AEW insta-feuds are not so great.

The weird stuff:

Holy shit when I heard Scorpio's "REACH FOR THE SKY!" intro I was deathly afraid they'd hired the Briscoes.  You think Excalibur dropping a N bomb in a promo 15 years ago was bad, wait until two hillbillies in Confederate flag gear show up. 

GET TO THE VOMS GET TO THE VOMS GET TO THE VOMS GET TO THE VOMS GET TO THE VOMS GET TO THE VOMS lol wut

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Rev Ray said:

If I was reading the shirt right, it was a Gibson brothers shirt of him and Ricky Gibson 

Oh yeah, I know.  I was just making a dumb joke based on:

• I've never seen Ricky Gibson before
  • He looks like Javier Bardem, at least on that shirt
  • Robert is probably the only person in the world who owns a Gibson Brothers shirt
  • It would be like Jim Neidhart showing up to tag team appreciation night rocking a New Foundation shirt

Can I just restate how dumb the MJF angle is?  Even if you remove the work shoot bullshit and approach it from a purely kayfabe perspective, are we supposed to believe that MJF's argument is that Khan wants an ex WWE guy as champ for visibility reasons, and is protecting him?  That's dumb.  All you need to do is look at who Moxley has defended against.  Also, Moxley beat another ex WWE guy for the belt, and Jericho has much better name value if we're going with the story that Khan is hand picking his company's representative. 

This angle would work so much better with Cody.  MJF arguing that Cody's hand picking dudes he knows he can beat -- young guys, tag workers in over their heads, over the hill indies, and inexperienced indies -- would ring much truer. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, odessasteps said:

jericho referring to the Horsemen as a faction on the Tully and Arn pod was cringe worthy. 

Add that to Jericho's brown streak week.  What an awful interview.  He sounded like a young uninformed fan.  I get that he may be going after a wider audience, but even at that, terrible interview.  

I agree with the criticism of Jericho v Orange.  And I agree he looked a bit thick this week.  That said, too many calling for his head over an uncharacteristic off week.  He's been consistently awesome from the start of this promotion.  As for the match, this is so on the money....  

11 hours ago, EVA said:

Jericho/OC was a really interesting story of two matches.  The first half of the match, while not explicitly stated, was clearly worked around the story that Jericho had spent the past week playing rock shows and partying like an idiot instead of preparing for the match, leading to OC kicking his ass quite thoroughly.  And that was pretty awesome.

But then the reality of Jericho spending the past week playing rock shows and partying like an idiot instead of preparing for the match took over.  And then it kind of sucked.

I understand there were some time issues, but really hated seeing OC have to no sell a crotchshot.  

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'm not speaking for anyone else. For me, it's definitely a pattern. 

I think you're onto something, and...

10 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Is it a Live = Bad / Taped = Good pattern? I'm willing to hear you out on it.

Yeah, this is exactly it.  

8 hours ago, Jiji said:

The ringside people did not sound like they were into it tonight compared to other nights and it really does put a damper on the match quality and buy-in. OR, likely, the taped shows have some canned audio going on and it helps a lot.

Absolutely, I was very much feeling this.  I really wish they had the ringside ppl clapping respectively more.  They rely too much on the rowdy yells and what have you, but some nice exclamation point clapping would really help the action.  And I second your first question there - 'AEW, why?'

I also agree with those singing praise for the opener.  And Tully gave the kick in the pants that seemed to be what the entire show needed.  I was for Spears getting a shot in the beginning, but he's proven to add no value to Tully, and I really wish they'd now, a year later, move on.  Dynamite needs  more Tully.  

I iked Sky-Cody, but I think the mistake here was not building Scorpio with a win or two on Dynamite.  I don't find Dark gives me a compelling enough reason to watch.  I'm glad they were building him on there, but he needed a big win in the Dynamite national spotlight before appearing here and losing.  My hope is, if anything, this leads to a much needed attitude adjustment.  I don't even mind SCU sticking together as a 'faction'.  Turn them all heel.  BTW, kind of a strange Kazarian 'siting' there?  Tho, 4 pages in, doesn't seem like anybody cares.  And I understand that.  

Also, that kicking down of the gimmicked door shit was as hokey as Brian Cage tearing apart a gimmicked ladder.  I wonder which booking mind this failing stuff comes from?

Really, not a bad show this week, just, like most 'live' weeks, a bit flat.  Hopefully they're learning what makes those taped weeks a bit stronger and we get a bit more consistency (of excellence) moving forward.    

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

I liked Dynamite last night because for the most part, everything delivered. The tag matches were all really good to great, FTR turned heel and they got me with Dax's faked knee injury, MJF was cutting a good promo up to a point, Ortiz and Santana sounded awesome, and there's probably something else I'm forgetting. What wound up being disappointing was Cody vs Scorpio and Jericho vs OC. 

Cody vs Scorpio was just kinda there. I didn't think it was a great match, but it really felt like this should have been saved for the PPV or built up to more than they did. Jericho and OC were really having an off night. OC still saved the match for the most part, but Jericho looked rough, his selling was really fucking weird, and the finish was kinda botched. To add to that, OC was going very light on his kicks and punches to Jericho. Nothing looked like it was actually landing and that kinda took me out of the match. I'll give them a pass because they've shown me they can deliver, but this could have been so much better.

• Like 1

Both Ricky Morton and Robert Gibson were wearing shirts of teams they were in, that weren't the Rock n Roll Express. And it had to be Gibson Brothers because he wasn't going to be out there with a Rock n Rockers shirt, was he?

25 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Can I just restate how dumb the MJF angle is?  Even if you remove the work shoot bullshit and approach it from a purely kayfabe perspective, are we supposed to believe that MJF's argument is that Khan wants an ex WWE guy as champ for visibility reasons, and is protecting him?  That's dumb.  All you need to do is look at who Moxley has defended against.  Also, Moxley beat another ex WWE guy for the belt, and Jericho has much better name value if we're going with the story that Khan is hand picking his company's representative. 

I mean, I hate to be that guy, but MJF's whole gimmick is that he's an asshole who spouts bullshit, so...

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, mystman said:

I mean, I hate to be that guy, but MJF's whole gimmick is that he's an asshole who spouts bullshit, so...

Yeah, but the Dictator Jon stuff doesn't make any sense. Moxley has been fighting everyone and doesn't have a power position in the company, the angle seems like it's shoehorned in so they can reference the election for whatever reason.

And @HarryArchieGusis right, Scorpio should have had some Dynamite wins before challenging. AEW is under this false impression YouTube is as good as TV but it's not. Being on Dark is not being on television, that counts for Sky's win streak and women's wrestling. Dynamite is your main show, things that matter need to happen there or else they don't feel like they matter. Sky is crazy talented but this one week build and a loss did him no favors.

Also, where are Starks and Cage? Still recovering?

The parts of AEW that are great remain great week to week so I don't want to complain too much but damn some of these issues are glaring.

• Like 2