DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 8/12/2020

Dolfan in NYC

2 minutes ago, Dog said:

Jericho and Orange really had their wires crossed tonight. Why so many dragon screws, and why the hell was Jericho taking back bumps for them?

He went the wrong way on the Mousetrap as well. It's a forward roll bump, and he went backwards on it.

• Like 2

Hangman/Omega remain awesome as a team. Tully was on fire, and he's right the best team is the one with the titles. saw FTR attacking the RNR's coming, but I hope it leads to a match between the two now. Good to see Heather Monroe, and Shida killer as always. Liked a little bit of Broken coming out of Matthew's promo. Good stuff from Scorpio Sky and Cody, the Prince of Pro Wres. That ending to the main event was all sorts of awful. Orange completely no selling a low blow, the messy looking pin, and then rushing to get off the air. Match was ok but rough end. Nice to see Chioda pop up, hope he ends up sticking around. Gonna seem odd not having Dynamite on Wednesday next time. 

• Like 1

Thought Jericho was pretty rough today. The Dragon Screw sell originally was so weak Orange went to do it again, and Jericho solid it the exact same way. I've seen Orange do the roll up he was going for as a finish multiple times, and Jericho literally fell the wrong direction to make the spot work, which is a fucking problem for the finish of the match. 

Liked everything I got to see before that on the show though, though it wasn't top to bottom the same level of show. as last week.

• Like 2

This was a solid but unremarkable show. They did a good job of putting Scorpio over as a big deal even though he didn't win.

The tag team appreciation segment was fine but a bit lackluster compared to all the hype it got.

Jericho/OC was kinda sloppy.

I dug Omega/Page vs JE though with all the tag team talent AEW has, I'd rather an established team rather than two upper card singles guys had the belts.

JR was pretty awful tonight, especially in the first half (that blurb about the new car was especially out of nowhere).

I'll be that guy - Jericho rolled the wrong way on that cradle. That's an old lucha cradle Orange inherited from Hero or Quack or Rivera and it was bungled. Everybody who said OC shoulda went over the first time was right.

I've figured for weeks that the Tag Team Appreciation thing was gonna be the jump off for an actual faction shift. It wasn't. But my GOD - give Tully something to do other than slum it with Spears. If they don't make promos like that a centerpiece of wherever this Horseman revival is going, I might be entering full-blown "Sign Tessa" mode in a month.

Lukewarm stuff outside the title matches. Save us, Excalibur.

• Like 5

I don't mean to pile on but you can't both have JR no-selling modern wrestling while also having Taz there Just Having Fun, which he is miles worse at than just being an asshole as a manager. One or the other but not both together. I agree they need Excalibur back in place of one of those.

• Like 2

Of all the Vince synonyms, I think using faction instead instead of stable or family or army might be one of the ones I dislike the most. 

jericho referring to the Horsemen as a faction on the Tully and Arn pod was cringe worthy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Death From Above said:

So only people of a certain age will remember this but back when I WAS YOUNG, local yellow pages always had one page of, like, free random games and stuff you could do over the phone. One of the local things here was a wrestling rumour hotline and I remember it consistently claimed throughout most of 1997 and 1998 that Randy Savage was coming back to the WWF, and quite often suggesting he was going to ally with Degeneration X.

Anyway, Flair's Shadow reminds me of this. I consider it a good memory.

The Talking YellowPages! We had Live Audio Wrestling doing the wrestling news...with these super long messages with Jeff Marek and Dan Lovranski running through wrestling gossip and lots of Japanese results too. Goodtimes. 

• Like 2

I thought Jericho and OC's first match was a lot better. Not sure what happened with that finish, but it did look a little sloppy. The ending was a bit flat to me, but at least Orange Cassidy won. Obviously that whole "inner circle" is banned from ringside stip didn't mean much since they came out anyway beyond that veil of "Mike Chioda didn't see them!" I would've held on Jericho's humiliation with the orange jacket and being a crybaby a bit more.

The tag team appreciation night segment was also a bit flat to me. I'm assuming they are hinting at FTR forming some sort of Horsemen type unit with Blanchard and Spears? Not sure, but the execution was a bit clunky to me between Spears stalking the ring, Arn Anderson seeing him and leaving and then Spears is still hanging around and then FTR attacks Rock n Roll Express. I just feel the moment of FTR attacking Rock n Roll Express didn't seem all that surprising and shocking. Lacked the punch it needed. 

Lucha Express vs. Omega/Page was fine, though I think it could've been a tad shorter, and Cody/Scorpio could've gone a bit longer. Not sure what's going on with Omega. It seemed like they were hinting at him turning heel a while ago, but it seems like they've dropped that this week. That could still be the long-term goal, but it seems like they dropped it this week.

Now granted, I've seen guys here get angry at JR's commentary. That said, I was amused with his commentary on Marko Stunt this week, more so he started being all "I don't know why Marko Stunt has to be out here sticking his nose in this business, I know he's got a cute hat and everything." Then Taz interjects, "Hey he's got a badass bowler hat." After Tony supports JR's comments, Taz flipflops, "Yeah I'm sick of his bowler hat. Get him out of here. You guys are right."

It looks like Jungle Boy just about or almost badly ate it on his suicide dive. Looks like he landed about head first before Omega nearly got him. Not sure if that impact jacked him or not, but it looked scary because he looked like he was about to land face first. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I keep thinking Cody must be turning heel...  he's got this huge ass boxing entourage with all his friends and family and the over-the-top entrance with fireworks and what not, it's kinda heelish I think..

“Turning” 

? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I keep thinking Cody must be turning heel...  he's got this huge ass boxing entourage with all his friends and family and the over-the-top entrance with fireworks and what not, it's kinda heelish I think..  

Anyway,  the new belt looks FANTASTIC.  I love it. 

EfQO1AyU8AEvS-t?format=jpg&name=medium

Here's my problem with the belt now, all that empty space around the TNT logo. It looks sort of cheap, and makes the front plate look like a mirror. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I've never seen the Mousetrap before so if that was blown, Orange honestly did a great job to salvage it at all. Credit for that at least.

Credit to Orange, credit to Tazz. Seriously, the work Tazz is doing to cover for botches, ambiguous storytelling, and JR's grumpouts is on pace for sainthood. And he's doing it as a heel announcer.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1