• JL Sigman
  • MavsFan77
  • King Leonidas Of Sparta
  • Control
  • Jaedmc
  • Execproducer (revised)
  • Rippa

It's fine - I got it.

I have a handful more to enter - plus I am assuming ballots from CSC and Execproducer

Plus my own ballot which I fucking hate and will constantly be changing until the very last second.

I have never had a decade before where I have watched more things that I didn't like or at least didn't think were nowhere near anything more than "I wasn't offended by it" vs. things I would vote for

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I have never had a decade before where I have watched more things that I didn't like or at least didn't think were nowhere near anything more than "I wasn't offended by it" vs. things I would vote for

I thought about what I'd put in my all time 100, which is a terrible thought to begin with, and I think only three from the 450 movies I watched from the last 10 years would make it. Probably two the more I think on it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It's fine - I got it.

I have a handful more to enter - plus I am assuming ballots from CSC and Execproducer

Plus my own ballot which I fucking hate and will constantly be changing until the very last second.

32 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I thought about what I'd put in my all time 100, which is a terrible thought to begin with, and I think only three from the 450 movies I watched from the last 10 years would make it. Probably two the more I think on it.

I'm with the both of you. Weak decade. Certainly take the 2000s and the 1990s over this. @jaedmc's has me thinking about my ballot for the Greatest Film of All Time project we did and only two films from the last decade would make it. 3-4 at a push.

Edited by The Natural

It’s tough doing a List right after a year/ decade happens. There are still a lot of movies I’m sure I’d love from 2017-2019 that I didn’t get to yet. I’m sure the 90’s lists were easier with how much time has passed to have what you would like easier to pick out and what you would dislike filtered out.

But the fun of it is seeing what others liked and maybe be pointed out something I missed.

Going the rush watching method works for some, but I like to space out my viewings so I don’t mesh together the experiences. 1st movie I watch is great and the second one is good, I might be harder on the second than I should be. I’m embarrassed having not watched everything I had on my watch list since 2014.

4 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I'm with the both of you. Weak decade. Certainly take the 2000s and the 1990s over this. @jaedmc's has me thinking about my ballot for the Greatest Film of All Time project we did and only two films from the last decade would make it.

I might be in a minority, but for fans of Slow Cinema like myself I found this to be an exciting year. At least the top half of my list.

I wasn’t here for the previous list projects, but have a GOAT List on Letterboxd that I have fun with. In the Top 100 I have 19 films from this decade. I’ll have to update it a bit. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Octopus said:

It’s tough doing a List right after a year/ decade happens. There are still a lot of movies I’m sure I’d love from 2017-2019 that I didn’t get to yet. I’m sure the 90’s lists were easier with how much time has passed to have what you would like easier to pick out and what you would dislike filtered out.

But the fun of it is seeing what others liked and maybe be pointed out something I missed.

Going the rush watching method works for some, but I like to space out my viewings so I don’t mesh together the experiences. 1st movie I watch is great and the second one is good, I might be harder on the second than I should be. I’m embarrassed having not watched everything I had on my watch list since 2014.

I might be in a minority, but for fans of Slow Cinema like myself I found this to be an exciting year. At least the top half of my list.

I wasn’t here for the previous list projects, but have a GOAT List on Letterboxd that I have fun with. In the Top 100 I have 19 films from this decade. I’ll have to update it a bit. 

Be interested in seeing that, matey.

I've thrown together about 90 films for something like a 2010s list (so far) on Letterboxd myself.  After a relatively thorough search, I think I've seen about 400 movies from each of the last 2 decades.

I wouldn't agree the 2010s were a weak decade.  If anything, I think they're just less top-heavy.  I started in on the 2000s as a comparison: watched about the same total # of films (maybe a few more), and have about 50 or so movies on my 2000s list, which I've worked on for all of 30 minutes this morning.  Now, the top 10-12 from the 2000s would crush just about anything from the 2010s, save my top 3.  But once you dig into the 20s/30s, I think this past decade really shines.  Stuff like 45 Years or Phoenix or Shame or Fruitvale Station would hold up really, really well with things I've ranked in similar positions from the 2000s - think Lost in Translation or The Wrestler or Adaptation

Part of this, though, is a product of movies changing overall.  You can go through the lists on Letterboxd and notice one undeniable trend: for all the talk about how it's allegedly harder to get a non-tentpole movie made these days, there are LOTS more movies being made than there were even 15 years ago.  Since 2000, the number of films per year has basically doubled.  That by itself means there's going to be more quality that starts rising to the top.  I think it also means that, because there are more good movies being made overall, more to watch to sort of keep up, it makes it harder for things to distinguish themselves among that pool. 

• Like 2

I freely admit that if I had time to watch more - I probably would find more things I would like.

Like I am on a good run where the last 4 things I watched are all well deserving of making my ballot

• Like 2

September 2005 I first joined DVDVR MB taking part in the Best of the 2000s, 1990s (Version 2), Best Films of All Time and now Best of the 2010s. @RIPPA, have we ever done Best Animated Films and Best Comic Book Movies? The longest time I was away from the board was July 2014-February/March 2015 with the passing of my much missed Mum. Cheers.

Edited by The Natural

I don't know if I'd call it a weak decade. I certainly don't feel like I've watched enough to judge it honestly. Whoever said it wasn't "top heavy" is probably accurate. There was lots that I enjoyed and there were certain trends that I was very much on board with. There were more movies in general so along with the really good there were more mediocre, disposable junk. That's not really "bad" it's just a product of so much being made.

The negative that does come from all of this is wading through all of the movies to find the good to great, can be a seemingly overwhelming task. "Choice paralysis" is real. There are so many "You gotta see this" movies that I've forgotten about, and I may never remember. Yesterday I read an article and it mentioned that Sandra Bullock movie Bird Box, and I thought - "Oh shit, I forgot all about that. That was hot shit when it came out." It's been just shy of 2 years since it was released. That's how fast it all moves.

And using discussion about film as a guidance has its own pitfalls, with movies being over hyped, over criticized, over everything. Everything is framed in the movement of the moment before it can eve be digested or - in many cased -even released. It's like people are trying to preemptively write retrospectives on films so future generations don't have to. "This is what the Ghostbusters reboot means about the times and this is what it'll mean in 2032 when you look back and discover it."

So I took a massive step back. I'm not entrenched in the online film community like I was when I was writing for websites. I don't use social media and avoid reviews so I miss out on the reactions. And while this makes getting to a movie like Buster's Mal Heart a harder journey, it works for me the best.

23 minutes ago, The Natural said:

September 2005 I first joined DVDVR MB taking part in the Best of the 2000s, 1990s (Version 2), Best Films of All Time and now Best of the 2010s. @RIPPA, have we ever done Best Animated Films and Best Comic Book Movies? The longest time I was away from the board was July 2014-February/March 2015 with the passing of my much missed Mum. Cheers.

No - not "official" ones. I am pretty sure someone did some sort of Comic Book one but the less said about that the better.

Themed polls tend to be avoided since A) logistically they are a nightmare and B) they go over like a fart in church (I have terrible memories of the Horror one crashing and burning)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Be interested in seeing that, matey.

I’ll hit you up with it after this project. So I don’t spoil anything for this list.

GOAT TOP 10: margin of error - 3

1. Andrei Rublev (Tarkovsky, 1966)

2. Ordet (Dryer, 1955)

3. Citizen Kane (Welles, 1942)

4. Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953)

5. There Will Be Blood (Anderson, 2007)

6. La Chinoise (Godard, 1967)

7. The Seventh Seal (Bergman, 1957)

8. Werckmeister Harmonies (Tarr, 2000)

9. Diary of a Country Priest (Bresson, 1951)

10. Weekend (Godard, 1967)

11. Sacrifice (Tarkovsky, 1985)

12. Jeanne Dielmann, 23, Quai du Commerce 1080 Bruxelles (Akerman, 1075)

13. Stalker (Tarkovsky, 1975)

EDIT: GODDAMNIT hit enter and wanted to write more now crabby and mad and won’t type more dangnabit shoot.

EDIT 2: I was gonna mention how much I love Letterboxd lists and how it makes these projects easier. Strongly recommend it. 

EDIT 3: I was also going to tag @jaedmc because he/ or she mentioned Letterboxd. Jaedmc was gonna see that and then want to hang out. Beginning a life long friendship filled with ups and downs. Mostly ups. But now that’ll never happen because I hit enter too soon.

EDIT 4: So begins my mental break down

EDIT 5: I should take a nap

EDIT 6: I realized I wrote “he” in EDIT 3 and I’m not entirely sure. So apologies if I assumed incorrectly and I find everyone here to be a wonderful person.

EDIT 7: movies are cool

Edited by Octopus
Cgndhjujfsshjvdwgn shoot
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, RIPPA said:

No - not "official" ones. I am pretty sure someone did some sort of Comic Book one but the less said about that the better.

Themed polls tend to be avoided since A) logistically they are a nightmare and B) they go over like a fart in church (I have terrible memories of the Horror one crashing and burning)

Cheers, @RIPPA.

So Best Films of the 21st Century then? ;).

Okay - here is where we are at.

I have entered all the ballots that have been sent to me.

I am assuming I will get ballots from at least @CSC and @Execproducersometime this evening (I will happily take more from anyone else)

At a minimum - I will have my own ballot to enter.

I also then need to recheck all ballots so it is still possible you might get a correction request from me.

Since some family medical stuff has to be dealt with later in the week (everything is fine... for now) and I don't want to start the countdown on the weekend - the reveal will start one week from today (Monday, Sept 28).

I should be able to get some preview stuff out to provide a tease.

• Thanks 4

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Okay - here is where we are at.

I have entered all the ballots that have been sent to me.

I am assuming I will get ballots from at least @CSC and @Execproducersometime this evening (I will happily take more from anyone else)

At a minimum - I will have my own ballot to enter.

I also then need to recheck all ballots so it is still possible you might get a correction request from me.

Since some family medical stuff has to be dealt with later in the week (everything is fine... for now) and I don't want to start the countdown on the weekend - the reveal will start one week from today (Monday, Sept 28).

I should be able to get some preview stuff out to provide a tease.

Thanks for doing this, @RIPPA.

• Like 3

For a laugh, I'm happy to offer a preview of how fucked up my ballot is.

I've forgotten something which would have definitely made my ballot (and fairly high), but it's not important enough to kick up a fuss about. It has no real chance of making the final rankings as it's not, to my knowledge, well loved. I count it among a duo of 2011 films which should have been better received and gotten a sequel. The other film in that duo made my top five.

Note: I am not talking about Green Lantern, and shame on you for assuming I was. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

For a laugh, I'm happy to offer a preview of how fucked up my ballot is.

I've forgotten something which would have definitely made my ballot (and fairly high), but it's not important enough to kick up a fuss about. It has no real chance of making the final rankings as it's not, to my knowledge, well loved. I count it among a duo of 2011 films which should have been better received and gotten a sequel. The other film in that duo made my top five.

Note: I am not talking about Green Lantern, and shame on you for assuming I was. 

A solution if you wanted

since your ballot wasn’t a full 100 - you can add said movie to the very end. No editing necessary 

You would be surprised the things that were voted for. Ya never know