DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 Climax 30.

The Natural

New Japan Pro-Wrestling posted this six hours ago so I thought a topic for the G1 Climax 30 was appropriate. The G1 Climax is a highlight of NJPW's year. Fan expectations are high based on match quality from G1 Climaxes in recent years. Be interesting to see how the 30th edition turns out thanks to the fucking coronavirus pandemic and who will/won't be competing. I suspect Minoru Suzuki will be part of the 2020 edition of the G1 Climax. If you remember, he wasn't included last year which offended him and that led to the story that he was fresh compared to those who were beat down. Suzuki took advantage of Kazuchika Okada.

Edited by The Natural

Going by the schedule, 9 nights each block, so each block will have 10 people, so that's 5 matches a show (which matches what NJPW is doing now).  So, 20 person Tourny with the roster they've been using isn't that hard to figure out who's going to be in.

It could be possible for any of the non-US guys living outside of Japan to be in the G1, I'm thinking White in particular, if he would be able to fly in soon and quarantine after arrival and he's finishing his tweets with 8/29 lately so he'll probably be at the Summer Struggle show. But at the same time New Zealand is one of the best places to be right now so idk if you'd really want to leave but wrestlers are strange.

So the pool will probably be: Naito, Okada, Tanahashi, Ibushi, EVIL, SANADA, ZSJ, Taichi, Suzuki, Shingo, Ishii, Goto, YOSHIHASHI, White, Yano, Makabe, Yujiro for sure with Ospreay and Fale being possible or taking from the pool of Despy, Hiromu, Ishimori, Sho, Taguchi or maybe one of the dads like Kojima (not sure if he officially said he was done with tournaments like Nagata did). I guess they could possibly bring in an outsider to fill in the ranks too but I'm not sure if they'd want to risk bringing someone they haven't been overseeing the health of to suddenly be in the locker room.

I think there are some good match ups to be had there even if I'd prefer if at least Yujiro or YOSHIHASHI aren't in there, I just don't have the desire to watch 9 Yujrio or Yoshi singles matches, but it still looks like a pretty loaded tournament. I mean it helps to have a roster that 

I'd guess, removing Tenzan, Honma, Nagata, and Kojima as they sure as hell aren't working 9 singles matches (my belief that Nagata still has a major run left in him aside):

EVIL, Goto, Tanahashi, Okada, Ibushi, Suzuki, SANADA, Shingo, Taichi, Naito, Makabe, Ishii, Yano, YOSHIHASHI, Yujiro, ZSJ, Hiromu, Wato, SHO, Ishimori.  

That's assuming White, Fale, and/or Ospreay don't come back over.  If they do, we start peeling off Juniors first.

They really need to at least get Jay, Juice, and Ospreay back in the country to make this work.  Of the current available roster, you really have to start scraping the barrel once you get past, like, 12-13 heavies.

But you get those 3 guys, concede Yoshi-Hashi a spot based on having his moment recently which *maybe* gives him some momentum, and add in juniors who can credibly work heavy like Hiromu, Sho, and Desperado and you’ve got yourself a real solid tournament without having sacrifice poor Master Wato to a bunch of jobs or reach for guys who are well past it like Makabe, etc.

Edited by EVA

Nagata and Tenzan had their last G1s already so would be weird if they returned, not that anyone wants to see 9 Tenzan singles matches in 2020. I could maybe see them doing "last G1" for Makabe and Kojima to give some additional angles?

If Fale manages to return then I think Henare should also be back, no?

Juice was not on the most recent U.S. tapings due to some kind of leg injury, so even if he were allowed to fly to Japan he may not be able to. Also saw that Makabe was currently missing shows to film a movie, so I'm curious if he would be available for the G1.

With New Zealand (apparently) COVID-free, it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring in White, Fale and Henare for the G1 and avoid putting those past their prime or "not G1 ready" in this. 

Has NJPW said anything about Osprey's future with the company given the allegations against him?

23 minutes ago, colonial said:

With New Zealand (apparently) COVID-free, it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring in White, Fale and Henare for the G1 and avoid putting those past their prime or "not G1 ready" in this. 

Has NJPW said anything about Osprey's future with the company given the allegations against him?

Jay White lives in the US, so sadly doesn't benefit from New Zealand's relative freedom from COVID. 

They haven't said anything about Ospreay, but I'd be shocked if the company holds the allegations against him. They just used Chase Owens, who offers them so much less value. (Not saying this is how I want it to go, to be clear.)

Edited by Beech27

I feel the same way. Incredible match. The other contenders: Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega (Dominion 2018 and Wrestle Kingdom 11), Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada (Wrestle Kingdom 10 and King of Pro-Wrestling 2013) and Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Minoru Suzuki (King of Pro-Wrestling 2012).

You?

22 hours ago, Eivion said:

Has there been any allegations against Ospreay beyond him being a piece of shit for gettign Pollyanna blackballed?

In regards to this and a point you raised in another topic - how is that not enough?

I understand that a Japanese crowd may not care. I'm not enough of a learned cultural critic to dissect that. But what crimes against basic fucking morality does "Actively Preventing Accusers of Sexual Harassers From Working In Their Desired Fields Due To Accusing Your Friends Of Said Sexual Harassment"  fall short of? What's the one-step-up transgression Will should have committed if he wanted to be pushed aside? Christ, even Elgin didn't call anybody's boss.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John E. Dynamite said:

In regards to this and a point you raised in another topic - how is that not enough?

Not sure I ever said it wasn't, but as far as Japan goes there isn't much reason for them to care since it didn't take place on their shores or affect them in any way of whatsoever. He is a piece of shit, but he seemingly isn't an actual harasser/rapist unlike say Chase Owens. That should also answer your question on what I feel is a worse transgression worth him getting blackballed industry wide for. In none of this by the way did I say Ospresy shouldn't be punished. I just don't get why anyone expects the Japanese industry to do that job when its the UK scene where he committed the wrongful blackballing of Pollyanna.

Beyond that my original question was because I was confused if there was more to Ospreay's wrongdoings with people simply stating allegations/indiscretions and not naming the actual thing he did. That was weird and unnecessarily vague when we have enough confirmation that he actually did commit the blackballing. 

Also NJPW did use Chase for their NJC US tourney, and Chase was accused of way worse than Ospreay.  Grooming/underage is a lot worse than being an mega asshole/blackballing.  The former is unforgivable, the latter can be eventually.

Edited by alstein

• 2 weeks later...

I think we'll get the G1 Climax 30 participants tomorrow during Summer Struggle in Jingu intermission. Be interesting to see the field considering the coronavirus pandemic. Will we get wrestlers from different promotions?

Since Jay was just announced for one of the upcoming US shows (the 4th I think) I don't know if he's gonna be able to participate. The US is still on the list of restricted entry for Japan and the G1 starts on the 19th so unless the plan is for him to fly out pretty much right after the show on the 4th to quarantine for 14 days I don't see how he could make it happen. 

47 minutes ago, Six String Orchestra said:

Did we ever get any information on if Jay White or Will Ospreay can return yet?

6 minutes ago, Sublime said:

Since Jay was just announced for one of the upcoming US shows (the 4th I think) I don't know if he's gonna be able to participate. The US is still on the list of restricted entry for Japan and the G1 starts on the 19th so unless the plan is for him to fly out pretty much right after the show on the 4th to quarantine for 14 days I don't see how he could make it happen. 

I think Jay White and Will Ospreay won't make it. Ospreay has a damaged reputation from Speaking Out. Jon Moxley won't be in as he was in 2019. That's why I think Minoru Suzuki will be back in the G1 Climax as he wasn't included last year. I can see Shingo Takagi and maybe Hiromu Takahashi making the cut also.

Edited by The Natural