DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Bane-a Baszler - 8/10/2020

Dolfan in NYC

56 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Sorry about that. Randy never named either son. Its more a case that it will always be hard disassociate Reed when talking about a Flair son in this manner. Randy didn't even particularly shit on them, but it will always be somewhat uncomfortable territory with Reed dead.

I just watched it and to be honest I didn't see much issue with that.  Orton said he was the son Ric wished he had and I didn't read much into that at all.  Yeah, it could have alluded to Reed but while I may be wrong I didn't see it that way.

But what I did see was a pretty darn good show-closing angle.  I loved both promos from Randy and Ric and Ric bringing up his coma was an all-too-real moment that you could just feel.  He of course cried but Orton had to do a quick wipe of the tears as well.  As for the punt they were smart to play up the lights out situation as a cover for Ric not actually taking the move.  And one thing I noticed was instead of the audible shit talking Randy would say he whispered everything.  So for all I know that could have been something nice he was saying on Ric's way out.  As far as writing somebody out it just seemed like one of the nicer ways to do so, especially when concerning a guy who can't take anything physical anyway.  I could be wrong but that's what I got from it.

Anyway as for the rest of the show it was fine.  Retribution still sucks but no sense jumping on the hate for them when everybody else is saying plenty for me.  I did think that Underground was a bit better compared to last week.  I know that Shane loves him some MMA so it at least makes sense why he'd be part of this.  And I don't know if it was how he was mic'd up but he wasn't nearly as annoying.  It also helps that instead of having a bunch of super quick "fights" it was a bit more to show off the likes of Riddick and the big guy who's name I can't say/don't remember.  I do think it'll be pulled by the time this actually resembles anything good but at least they got rid of the robotic dancers.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2

I see the face locker room not intervening because they know that being heroic is a test. Faces want to act honorably. But they also know that there are many people who don't. You will fight those people and you will suffer and get hurt by those that act underhanded. You will not always be appreciated for doing what is widely perceived to be the right thing. But if you can take this pain and cruelty and you still want to come back, against all odds, to get revenge for your beloved father...

Congrats, kid. You now know what you're going to face your entire career. It's not easy. It's an uphill battle. And there's more of this pain to come. 

I also loved a lot of how that segment was shot. They didn't do something where Dom was handcuffed to the ropes. He was tied into the ropes and posed like he was on the cross. He could do nothing but take the beating of his lifetime. But it's what he has to endure on his quest for justice. I doubt they had any intentions behind that, but it definitely looked a lot different than how they film a lot of heel beatings.

• Like 2

And in defense of Retribution being geeks --

How many of you have ever encountered super far-left anarchist types? I've met my fair share over the years. Imagine being at a party and having someone talk to you about the evils of capitalism. They can get really insufferable very quickly. And, also, despite the dog-whistling of ANTIFA in recent months, the people I've known who have gotten involved in all of that stuff have tended towards scrawny vegans who are truly not scary at all. The casting of them being undersized, irritating dorks is pretty spot-on.

I am also going to view Retribution as proxies for the worst among us -- the fans who say that there is nothing on a show the WWE does right, will not dare take anyone who disagrees with their point of view, and yet still watches every second of WWE programming. They're getting retribution on YOUR behalf but you will still hate it.

• Like 4

I'm just here for Shane O Mac's RAW Underground. Popped for the use of Michael Elgin's Impact theme in the Underground highlight video package. Wish they had more time dedicated than in and out 2 minute segments. Sad to see the Orton/Flair pairing end already, was loving what I'd seen of that. Had an oldschool vibe and would've liked to seen it last longer.

2 hours ago, Greggulator said:

I am also going to view Retribution as proxies for the worst among us -- the fans who say that there is nothing on a show the WWE does right, will not dare take anyone who disagrees with their point of view, and yet still watches every second of WWE programming. They're getting retribution on YOUR behalf but you will still hate it.

So where exactly is the money in this...? ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The one time Impact did the MASSIVE brawl between Aces and Eights and the entire TNA roster, I'm pretty sure that because they had it going on half in/ half outside the Impact Zone, almost everyone who was in their gear fighting a masked man inside was also masked and fighting a guy in his gear outside, and vice versa. Camera trickery, film half early and half late, then cut between and pretend they're happening simultaneously.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

So where exactly is the money in this...? ?

That logic is the same as the Triple H mark promo, poking fun the whipped, impotent fucks who will lap this shit up no matter how much it sucks or how much they seek to actively abuse you. There is no money in it. Because the ratings have cratered since then, I'm happy to report it's a losing strategy! 

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Greggulator said:

And in defense of Retribution being geeks --

How many of you have ever encountered super far-left anarchist types? I've met my fair share over the years. Imagine being at a party and having someone talk to you about the evils of capitalism. They can get really insufferable very quickly. And, also, despite the dog-whistling of ANTIFA in recent months, the people I've known who have gotten involved in all of that stuff have tended towards scrawny vegans who are truly not scary at all. The casting of them being undersized, irritating dorks is pretty spot-on.

Sure. But then what you've got are undercard comedy goofs. 

Oh fuck this is how they get Sami Zayn back on TV, isn't it? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

- I think we all learned again:  WWE baby faces are real jerks for not even attempting to save dom.  At the minimum you have a few guys try to make the save and eat a caning.

WWE pretty much trained its audience not to expect Babyfaces to make a save during beatdowns. That's something that really stopped being a thing since the Attitude era ended. Do younger fans even ask themselves why isn't anyone coming to so and so's aid ?  I guess its basic logic to ask that but ive learned not to expect it long time ago 

4 hours ago, Ziggy said:

WWE pretty much trained its audience not to expect Babyfaces to make a save during beatdowns. That's something that really stopped being a thing since the Attitude era ended. Do younger fans even ask themselves why isn't anyone coming to so and so's aid ?  I guess its basic logic to ask that but ive learned not to expect it long time ago 

coming up on the one year anniversary of Carmella staging the last Babyface Rescue Charge in WWE history,

in all its underwhelming but "holy shit at least somebody actually did one" glory

• Like 1