Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Bane-a Baszler - 8/10/2020


Recommended Posts

OK guys, we've only got TWO cinderblocks, but there are FOUR windows. We need to make the most of this situation!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

- I really like MVP's mic work, so his angle has been making Lashley segments watchable.

- I think we all learned again:  WWE baby faces are real jerks for not even attempting to save dom.  At the minimum you have a few guys try to make the save and eat a caning.

- during the riott/liv segment, I think Tom said "we jumped the shark" when he probably meant jumped the gun.

- with everyone spread out on multiple shows, the should definitely use Zelina more in ring.

-  I'm convinced Dabba-kato was named after a misheard lyric from Thunder Kiss '65.  Also was his finish a tribute to big daddy Gary Goodrich?

- I kind of figured that Orton was going to dump Ric to get heat at some point.  WWE consistent in Orton doing tasteless angles around peoples legit deaths.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Only saw the Dominick part but while a bit long and a tad uncomfortable he's one helluva tough man for taking shots like that.  I saw it as a sort of fucked up initiation but if that's the case he passed.

I haven't seen the rest of the show but bringing up Reed is not only tasteless but makes me think much less of whoever came up with that.  Even for an angle that's not cool.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

At the begining of the show he mentioned he was told not to get involved physically or else risk losing his job (as an announcer presumably), and he's not medically cleared.

Remember when Stone Cold didn't interfere with Vince's evil plots because he might get fired?

It's funny that they can't get over the Attitude Era, but they forget what made the stars of that time so appealing: They didn't give a fuck about authority.  Joe looked like such a badass standing up to Seth and Murphy last week, and now he's scared he'll get in trouble.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

That Dominic beatdown was wild. Kudos to him for taking it. This has been said a lot over the past 6 months but this would have been amazing with a real crowd, maybe even a star making appearance. Dominic is putting in the work so far and I'm into seeing him wrestle.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I''m the only person who hoped the Dominic beatdown was Seth's face turn.  Dom hasn't shown me anything yet that makes me want to watch.  Imo, he lacks a good look and the "it" factor his dad has.  Can't comment on his ringwork.  yet.

First full show I've watched since Feb or early March.  Thought it was kinda poor despite a few good segments.  Shane's fight club doesn't do it for me and it seems like the sort of thing Vince will lose interest in quickly.  RETRIBUTION is already a channel changer.  Not sure what to make of the ninjas.

I guess I missed a Natayla heel turn that would explain why she and Lana are dressing like twins?

Link to post
Share on other sites

There were quite a few good segments on this show but the thread here is quiet which means either everyone has completely checked out on RAW (understandable) or shit like Retribution is so bad that it overshadows the good...   

I watched on DVR which makes this a better experience.  I fast-forward through anything I'm not interested in.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

I guess I missed a Natayla heel turn that would explain why she and Lana are dressing like twins?

They were both down on their luck and had a backstage segment where it seemed like they may form an alliance.  This was several weeks ago, I think this might be the first follow up to that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

They were both down on their luck and had a backstage segment where it seemed like they may form an alliance.  This was several weeks ago, I think this might be the first follow up to that. 

So I guess Vince just saw Romy and Michele's High School Reunion?

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

I guess I missed a Natayla heel turn that would explain why she and Lana are dressing like twins?

 

10 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

They were both down on their luck and had a backstage segment where it seemed like they may form an alliance.  This was several weeks ago, I think this might be the first follow up to that. 

It happened around a month or so ago. After Lana was dumped by Lashley, and Nattie felt the locker room didn't give her the respect she deserved as a leader. It wasn't followed up on until this week for the same reasons other angles were paused which was the COVID outbreak. 

15 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

There were quite a few good segments on this show but the thread here is quiet which means either everyone has completely checked out on RAW (understandable) or shit like Retribution is so bad that it overshadows the good...   

I watched on DVR which makes this a better experience.  I fast-forward through anything I'm not interested in.  

I have been doing this for years. I'm shocked others haven't. This is probably part of the reason I have never been down on WWE as much as others. I ff past a lot of the shit I find bad, boring, and/or embarrassing. Remove Retribution & Raw Underground sans maybe the Shayna segment, and this is honestly a solid-good show.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Eivion  RAW Underground was probably a total of like 5 minutes on this show between the 3 segments so it's whatever to me.  The cuts are still ridiculous and I want to see The Hurt Business involved,  less Shane but the Shayna segment was okay for what it was.  

Retribution is embarrassing on every level but it didn't take away from Orton/Flair, Bayley vs. Asuka,  Dominic's beating, Bianca vs. Zelina... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

@Eivion  RAW Underground was probably a total of like 5 minutes on this show between the 3 segments so it's whatever to me.  The cuts are still ridiculous and I want to see The Hurt Business involved,  less Shane but the Shayna segment was okay for what it was.  

Retribution is embarrassing on every level but it didn't take away from Orton/Flair, Bayley vs. Asuka,  Dominic's beating, Bianca vs. Zelina... 

That is kind of my point. They are short segments however dumb they are, but with how much they are talked about they kind of overpower even the good in the minds of a lot of fans. They are overemphasized to the point where people can't ignore them.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe this has been a regular talking point that I've missed somehow, but Dominik looks distractingly like Anthony Jr from The Sopranos. His match with Seth needs to end via stoppage when a bear appears.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't watch. So I don't have an opinion on this week's episode.

But I do have an opinion on Raw being good vs being bad / DVRing & FF. So like a few people have said, Raw is impossible to watch without a DVR. Being able to fast forward through the stuff you don't dig goes a long way for helping you enjoy the things you do enjoy more. Ultimately the problem is something that can't be controlled. It's the 3 hour format. The reason why there's so much complaining about the bad content, is because there's so much more of it. Raw as a two hour show had bad content sometimes, but it usually had at least equal good content. Now since they switched to the 3 hour format in 2012 it's been riddled with extra filler to pad out the shows. All of the filler is obvious. And it makes the bad content out weight the good content every single week.

That's my theory at least. Raw & WWE in general are viewed as mostly bad shows these days because the ratio of good vs bad content has changed. USA will never let them go back to 2 hours. But I really do feel like that would significantly improve the show and tighten things up.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

 

- I think we all learned again:  WWE baby faces are real jerks for not even attempting to save dom.  At the minimum you have a few guys try to make the save and eat a caning.

 

Also Umberto is a total wimp for getting one stomp and having to lay around on the floor for about ten minutes while Seth and Buddy cane Dominick.  "I'd love to help you Dom, your dad is my idol, but he stomped on my back...I won't be able to stand up for at least another ten minutes."

4 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Only saw the Dominick part but while a bit long and a tad uncomfortable he's one helluva tough man for taking shots like that.  I saw it as a sort of fucked up initiation but if that's the case he passed.

I haven't seen the rest of the show but bringing up Reed is not only tasteless but makes me think much less of whoever came up with that.  Even for an angle that's not cool.

Well technically they never brought up Reed by name and could have been talking about David as a son who never made it as a wrestler.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, caley said:

Well technically they never brought up Reed by name and could have been talking about David as a son who never made it as a wrestler.

I see.  The way it seemed initially in this thread I assumed his name was brought up.  But I have another hour of the show yet so I'll withhold judgment until I see it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

- I think we all learned again:  WWE baby faces are real jerks for not even attempting to save dom.  At the minimum you have a few guys try to make the save and eat a caning.

Christ, the STAFF didn't even come down to save him.

32 minutes ago, SturmCRF said:

His match with Seth needs to end via stoppage when a bear appears.

Don't give them ideas, they'll have him try to commit suicide via pool cinderblock. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I see.  The way it seemed initially in this thread I assumed his name was brought up.  But I have another hour of the show yet so I'll withhold judgment until I see it.

Sorry about that. Randy never named either son. Its more a case that it will always be hard disassociate Reed when talking about a Flair son in this manner. Randy didn't even particularly shit on them, but it will always be somewhat uncomfortable territory with Reed dead.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if we've discussed this but I'm pretty sure the "Retribution" group on RAW was different people than the group on Smackdown so either this is a huge stable or the men and women who will be revealed are not the 5'5" dudes running around this past week.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't know if we've discussed this but I'm pretty sure the "Retribution" group on RAW was different people than the group on Smackdown so either this is a huge stable or the men and women who will be revealed are not the 5'5" dudes running around this past week.. 

I believe I read they are keeping the membership VERY secret (Or more likely, haven't even made up their minds themselves), so rotating different people under the hoods would be one way of doing that and keeping it mysterious.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, caley said:

I believe I read they are keeping the membership VERY secret (Or more likely, haven't even made up their minds themselves), so rotating different people under the hoods would be one way of doing that and keeping it mysterious.

It's going to be funny looking back with all these kids and their whiny voices yelling "fuck yeah!" after causing a couple thousand dollars worth of property damage and then all of a sudden Ciampa is standing in the ring cutting a promo leading a stable of 7-foot killers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...