DVDVR Message Board

NPW Strong and other USA shows

Archibald

Spoiler

Wasn’t expecting that. Aew could’ve had that speech if she beat Jade when she was first hot. But new japan got it. That was a really good show. I’m going to watch the Vaquer match again later. Masked revolution mentioned that she has a work visa and is available for bookings. 

Spoiler

Mercedes definitely got hurt there.  She couldn't put weight on her leg.  I wonder if they called an audible or that was supposed to be the finish and they just rushed into it.

Really good show.  The main event felt like a moment. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 1

I was there live right behind the timekeeper. It looked to me like she broke her foot on the landing. She was carried out of the ring.

Edited by Ace
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

This was one of my favorite shows of the year and not just because of Mercedes kicking ass.  I think I liked every match on the card.  

-Juice and Fred Rosser really brought the violence with a SURPRISE appearance by Toni Storm.  That whole thing was very entertaining and I think AEW needs to ratchet up the Toni Storm heel push, she's fucking awesome.  

-Six-man tag was tremendous.  What a fucking pop Okaka got after delivering The Rainmaker to Mox.  Shota looked great tonight too. 

-Ospreay vs. Tanahashi was really good as well.  Tana can still go.  No surprise here. 

-But the main attraction was the women's tournament and man did it deliver. Crowd was red hot for Mercedes and I hadn't seen much of Stephanie Vaquer but holy shit, she can go. They had a fantastic ~11-minute match.  Willow and Momo was also pretty good although maybe Willow did a little too much bumping for her. 

-Main event was Mercedes vs. Willow. Mercedes Cleopatra gear was cool for the first match but the 'Snow White' gear for this match was outstanding. HUGE standing ovation and extended applause before the match even starts.  "This is awesome!" chants before the first lockup.  Mercedes bumped like crazy for Willow here.  At one point Willow delivered a pounce and sent Mercedes flying about 20 feet in the air. The match was really coming together but unfortunately Mercedes injured her ankle and they had to go to the finish. Congrats to Willow, Tony Khan really needs to push her and obviously a get well soon for Mercedes. 

• Like 3

There's a exact, perfect moment shortly after the pin where Willow's expression shifts from disbelief to joy and it's one of those instances that you can only get from pro wrestling and it's just #1 and the best.

• Like 3

On 5/22/2023 at 1:55 AM, Niners Fan in CT said:

This was one of my favorite shows of the year and not just because of Mercedes kicking ass.  I think I liked every match on the card.  

-Juice and Fred Rosser really brought the violence with a SURPRISE appearance by Toni Storm.  That whole thing was very entertaining and I think AEW needs to ratchet up the Toni Storm heel push, she's fucking awesome.  

-Six-man tag was tremendous.  What a fucking pop Okaka got after delivering The Rainmaker to Mox.  Shota looked great tonight too. 

-Ospreay vs. Tanahashi was really good as well.  Tana can still go.  No surprise here. 

-But the main attraction was the women's tournament and man did it deliver. Crowd was red hot for Mercedes and I hadn't seen much of Stephanie Vaquer but holy shit, she can go. They had a fantastic ~11-minute match.  Willow and Momo was also pretty good although maybe Willow did a little too much bumping for her. 

-Main event was Mercedes vs. Willow. Mercedes Cleopatra gear was cool for the first match but the 'Snow White' gear for this match was outstanding. HUGE standing ovation and extended applause before the match even starts.  "This is awesome!" chants before the first lockup.  Mercedes bumped like crazy for Willow here.  At one point Willow delivered a pounce and sent Mercedes flying about 20 feet in the air. The match was really coming together but unfortunately Mercedes injured her ankle and they had to go to the finish. Congrats to Willow, Tony Khan really needs to push her and obviously a get well soon for Mercedes. 

Vaquer has been teaming with Zeuxis in CMLL and make a good partnership. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

There's a exact, perfect moment shortly after the pin where Willow's expression shifts from disbelief to joy and it's one of those instances that you can only get from pro wrestling and it's just #1 and the best.

Yeah, I felt really happy for Willow and I hope Tony pushes her now.  Also, you have to give Mercedes a ton of credit.  Not only did she finish the match on a broken ankle but she audibled out of winning the match because she knew her ankle was done.  She didn't panic.  To think on the fly like that and do what needed to be done in that moment was special. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

There is some history there already. Moxley and El Desperado wrestled on one of the NJPW shows in the U.S. 07/30/2022 - No DQ.

I watched it a while ago and remember liking it. The match is still up on NJPWWorld. Sort of deathmatch-lite, I guess? The fact that a match like that happened under an NJPW banner is a pretty rare thing, anyway.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...