DVDVR Message Board

NPW Strong and other USA shows

Archibald

Yeah, I think this has to be something regarding ROH.  I was originally thinking they might do combined tapings for Strong and ROH going forward, but that might have been too complicated in the end.  

I'll be sad to see Strong go.  When New Japan was in the doldrums in the past 2-3 years, Strong was a bright spot for them.  One hour of wrestling which was painless to watch and gave exposure to a ton of guys and helped make the LA Dojo members into some serious badasses, which may have never happened that way without a pandemic to force them into it.  I'm actually impressed with how they kept the program going for so long.   

• Like 1

World title match at Battle in the Valley as well. Shaping up to be a big show. There was the Ill timed world title match at the very first show in Long Beach in 2017, and then Cody was a little bit better established challenger at the cow palace show in 2018. This will be the first defense in California since then I believe. Hopefully a stronger challenger than Cody was at the time, but it’s gonna be on a one week notice. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Announcing Walter Pyramid in Long Beach CA for May, I believe that’s the biggest venue they’ve run since msg in April 2019. In 2018 they did cow palace and Walter pyramid.

I wonder what they have planned. An epic stardom match will make me travel. At this point the only wrestling show left I’d travel for is stardom. 

Edit: oh July 2019 was the Dallas mavericks arena for the opening night of the g1 climax. 

Edited by matt925

On 1/29/2023 at 11:44 PM, Dolphman 3000 said:

I'm moving to back Maryland as soon as a get a good job offer. If I'm lucky enough to get a good enough job offer before the DC show gets sold out then I will definitely try to go. I had a few interviews this week and I will probably have more in the next few weeks. I missed out on the last Atlanta show right before the Pandemic shutdown. I really want to go to a New Japan show more than any other Promotion.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tanahashi (injury) & TJP (travel) are off tonight's show. They're match has been changed to a NJPW Strong Tag Title Match of Rush & Ishii vs Aussie Open.

Tana was moving really slowly last night, so this isn't a surpirise.

The lineups for this weekend's shows were embarrassing already

They need to go back to calling STRONG tapings STRONG tapings and not this deceptive shit - imagine if Gabe would have promoted the DGUSA shows as "Dragon Gate" with only a handful of fly-ins

Edited by Dolphman 3000
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Momo Kohgo is such a random name to send to such a tournament. Would have thought they would send someone with just a smidgen more credibility. I am happy Vaquer is the CMLL representative. I only wish her Mercedes was the actual final. Not that I dislike Willow. I would have just preferred to have been able to catch the Mercedes/Vaquer match on AXS.

Also why in the hell are they making another women's title? The first hasn't even been around a year. I feel a bit sorry for Rossy and Stardom since the IWGP belt likely fucked with some of their booking last year. Wonder if they just leave the belt for Stardom to control.

• Like 1

Stardom have a PPV that day, so Momo is pretty expendable, especially if she's there to lose in the first round.  Just seems very strange to create another belt, especially when New Japan isn't running that many shows in the US.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Momo Kohgo is such a random name to send to such a tournament. Would have thought they would send someone with just a smidgen more credibility. I am happy Vaquer is the CMLL representative. I only wish her Mercedes was the actual final. Not that I dislike Willow. I would have just preferred to have been able to catch the Mercedes/Vaquer match on AXS.

Also why in the hell are they making another women's title? The first hasn't even been around a year. I feel a bit sorry for Rossy and Stardom since the IWGP belt likely fucked with some of their booking last year. Wonder if they just leave the belt for Stardom to control.

Correct me if I’m wrong but haven’t they shown the entire cards on axs over four week periods? I would assume every match on the card will be broadcast although they do start from the top of the card so that would be weird to broadcast a tournament final before the earlier matches. 

Two separate titles for a company without a women’s division is a real head scratcher. 

I don't know if Mercedes is winning that tournament (I guess I would assume she is) but my initial thought is the belt is being made specifically for her so she can carry around a NJPW title to different promotions and Hollywood red carpets without having to wrestle a heavy schedule in Japan.  That's my guess. If she had signed a lengthy deal then maybe they just keep the IWGP title on her.  I could see Mercedes getting her wish to go wrestle down in Mexico some and then possibly appear on Forbidden Door and/or All In. 

• Like 1

I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with Mercedes Mone vs. Stephanie Vaquer on a New Japan pay-per-view.  This is by far Vaquer's biggest break, and it's long deserved.  This alone earned my PPV buy.  I guess I'm easy to please.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, matt925 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but haven’t they shown the entire cards on axs over four week periods? I would assume every match on the card will be broadcast although they do start from the top of the card so that would be weird to broadcast a tournament final before the earlier matches. 

Not since the return. They typically just show the top/title matches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't know if Mercedes is winning that tournament (I guess I would assume she is) but my initial thought is the belt is being made specifically for her so she can carry around a NJPW title to different promotions and Hollywood red carpets without having to wrestle a heavy schedule in Japan.  That's my guess. If she had signed a lengthy deal then maybe they just keep the IWGP title on her.  I could see Mercedes getting her wish to go wrestle down in Mexico some and then possibly appear on Forbidden Door and/or All In. 

According to Dave the iwgp title was made for America. So this makes no sense unless things have changed with Mayu and Mercedes. Mayu sticks in japan with the movie coming and Mercedes sticks in usa. 

I bet you’re right and she is heading to Mexico soon too. 

• 4 weeks later...