DVDVR Message Board

(Marvel's) Avengers, ASSEMBLE!

SirFozzie

If anyone still cares - in a Developer update yesterday, they announced that in the next big patch (set for March 2022), Nick Fury will officially be back to lead SHEILD and it is going hand in hand with them overhauling how the War Table and Mission selection/start will be "Streamlined" (though they didn't really explain how)

Also - all signs continue to point to She Hulk being the next DLC character

Which is stupid because they left him in the time field during the Monica boss fight so he’s presumably permanently trapped in the future timeline.

The dev that posted on Reddit said there isn’t an expansion or DLC to explain his return, likely just lines of dialogue (he wasn’t privy to the details of how he comes back, since he wasn’t working on that part of the game).

Eh whatever, I have Cyberpunk, Sifu and Horizon on PS5 - this game is basically dead to me unless they do a lot to bring it back. And at this point I don’t even know what they can do to entice me to care again.

41 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I deleted it off my machine this past weekend as I was making room on my Hard Drive and I realized that there was very little chance I go back to play any of the DLCs

Honestly, the Bishop/Hawkeye DLCs would have taken you like 5 hours all together to finish both. They’re fun, I thought. I still haven’t finished War for Wakanda, because… I dunno, just doesn’t do anything for me. I might one of these days.

Honestly the DLCs and expansions are the only reason I’d come back. If She-Hulk is like Spidey, where her story is only told mainly through audio files and text… no thanks.

I still need to finish the initial main story. I'm where you have to collect the various pieces from random missions, and I did one that a guide told me I'd get most off that one mission, and I think I left with nothing, so I haven't loaded back in since. 

• 1 month later...

Pretty sure the new patch has bricked some people's PS5s as well, according to the Avengers subreddit.

This game is beyond dead, and it doesn't help that Crystal Dynamics is working on a new Tomb Raider AND Perfect Dark for Xbox. No roadmap for the rest of the year and it's April already. They're actively looking to hire a lead producer with experience in live service games. I still maintain this game could have been a hell of a thing if Square Enix/Marvel/whoever didn't insist on having multiplayer/it being a GaaS title when they were already years into making the game. It's Cyberpunk 2077, with people wanting things added and changed towards the end of the game's development, and it just nukes the entire thing. The solo campaign for Avengers wasn't that bad, and it could have been great if focus wasn't taken away from that in favor of it being a GaaS.

At least we have Guardians of the Galaxy, Spider-Man/Miles Morales and the upcoming Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine. I'm actually somewhat interested in Midnight Suns, too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And the next playable character has been announced as.... Jane Foster/Lady Thor

https://avengers.square-enix-games.com/en-us/news/april-dev-update/?utm_source=twitter_playavengers&utm_campaign=aprildevupdate_blog_SQEXSOCIAL

The reason - per the leakers who said the next character was She-Hulk - the changes of MCU releases forced Crystal Dynamics to change the order of characters

(They are also working on reworking the things like  Cosmic Threat, Tachyon Anomaly, and Corrupted Vibranium)

They really just need to make this F2P since this is really only a shallow as fuck multiplayer game that relies on the existing playerbase to buy cosmetics to fund further development of the game. If the addition of Jane Foster continued the Loki storyline from Thor's mission(s), then maybe I'd be interested. But most likely this'll just be mission chains like Spider-Man was. Basically, no big expansion update in almost a year (come August). That's the last time Xbox/PC players got anything new, besides the Raid, but you need to be at a certain level to even play that. Sony got Spider-Man, but like Jane Foster, it'll just be a hero event, with the story almost exclusively occurring in audio files picked up and in-game dialogue.

And the problem with the idea that Crystal Dynamics is following the MCU release pattern is that people like Bucky, Falcon, Wanda & Dr. Strange are all in the datamined leaks from shortly after launch in 2020. I know their shows didn't have release dates then, but it's clear they've just dropped development of those characters entirely in favor of cosmetics and echo type characters were it's reskinned versions of existing ones with slight tweaks made. Jane Foster will be one, Kate Bishop was another. She-Hulk will be, and War Machine was also in that datamine leak.

Maybe I'm wrong, and Jane Foster will be a good addition to the game and won't be as shallow as Spider-Man since everyone gets her, but I don't see it happening. This game basically only exists now for people who really like the combat, or people who want it to be an extension of the MCU so they can virtually LARP as MCU versions of these superheroes. But this game is still massively broken, and we're nearing two years since release, and there's only... three villains, I think? A handful of scenery changes, but hardly any of them are ripped from the comics (or even the MCU), just generic New York City, or Oregon or whatever.

I'm ready for Midnight Suns. Ultimate Alliance 3 wasn't what everyone wanted, but it was way more fun than this.

• 3 months later...

Man, I go absolutely back and forth on this game apparently ^^^ Because I've actually been enjoying it lately. It still has some of the day one bugs, sometimes matchmaking takes a while or you have to exit to the main menu and start over... but now that it's on PS Plus, the game isn't nearly as dead as it used to be.

Anyway, Forbes did an interview with one of the devs and they confirmed Bucky Barnes is the next hero, and he's not just a mirror hero like Jane Foster basically is. His own type, but sort of a combo of Black Widow and Cap. Will probably have the same "story" as Jane and Spidey, where it's told through mission chains and audio/text files. The dev said big story expansions like War for Wakanda probably won't happen anymore with every new hero (but all of the leaks point to Captain Marvel next year getting that kind of DLC - maybe without new biomes, though).

Two new villain sectors and an endgame mode similiar to the Klaw raid are coming in September (and the new raid is before the end of the year).

My only wish is they'd have more missions, because I've been playing the same ones since 2020 but with different heroes.

Oh, and trophy update: it's been two years and I still can't get some of these to pop, like the villain sector, strongboxes, Challenge 3, etc.

22 hours ago, Casey said:

Man, I go absolutely back and forth on this game apparently ^^^ Because I've actually been enjoying it lately. It still has some of the day one bugs, sometimes matchmaking takes a while or you have to exit to the main menu and start over... but now that it's on PS Plus, the game isn't nearly as dead as it used to be.

I need to reinstall it and finish the campaign and try some of the other stuff. My gaming time has been so limited lately.

• 5 months later...

support for the game is ending in September, so it’s basically dead after the March update. They’re giving away all cosmetics and challenge cards for free, too.

This game should have been an easy layup, but it was a mess from the start.

On 1/20/2023 at 11:19 PM, Casey said:

support for the game is ending in September, so it’s basically dead after the March update. They’re giving away all cosmetics and challenge cards for free, too.

This game should have been an easy layup, but it was a mess from the start.

Such a fuck up botching the Avengers license as it has. Epic fail.