DVDVR Message Board

(Marvel's) Avengers, ASSEMBLE!

SirFozzie

Crystal Dynamics is removing the paid experience boosts today

They claim that they don't think it is people paying to win but since enough people were upset they are removing them

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Crystal Dynamics is removing the paid experience boosts today

They claim that they don't think it is people paying to win but since enough people were upset they are removing them

How is paying to improve your character so that you can get past game scenarios more successfully not paying to win?

Reportedly Square Enix President Yosuke Matsuda said without naming them directly that Crystal Dynamics wasn't the right studio to do Avengers and that Square "needed to be better at picking games that matched its studio’s strengths."

Hey, Squeenix!  You know what would match Crystal D's strengths?  Another fucking installment to the Legacy of Kain franchise!  You made the license available in your Collective service so put CD to work on an LoK remaster or a next gen port?

To be fair - the campaign was pretty good, but it obviously would have been ten times better if all their time and resources were spent on that instead of the post-campaign bullshit.

Anyway, next week they're showing off Spider-Man and all his outfits. He releases on 11/30, along with a lot of promised and long talked about shit:

hhbqe62iwlx71.jpg?width=749&auto=webp&s=

They've also permanently discounted paid cosmetics, but they're probably still way too much. I haven't booted up this game in a while, still haven't finished War for Wakanda... I might try out the Spider-Man thing, but I don't know.

Just now, RIPPA said:

It kinda sounds like that if I am gonna play this - I should wait till after the 30th

Depends entirely if you're only going to play the campaign, or if you're going to be active in the online aspect. Almost all of that is related to the multiplayer. The gear rework and stuff will hardly have any bearing on the campaign, since it's linear and the power levels and shit is pretty exclusively only important to playing online.

Just give me a Sensational/Ben Reilly suit and I'll be happy.

I really don't get the complaints about the logo for the default Spidey costume. It looks worlds better than the Iconic costume that we all know, that looks like it has a giant tick on the back.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Casey said:

Just give me a Sensational/Ben Reilly suit and I'll be happy.

I really don't get the complaints about the logo for the default Spidey costume. It looks worlds better than the Iconic costume that we all know, that looks like it has a giant tick on the back.

We really need the Ben Reilly Spider-Man suit. That's a great redesign. Amazed it wasn't in Marvel's Spider-Man.

• 2 weeks later...

So yeah... Spider-Man doesn't have any story missions

Revealed in IGN’s exclusive hands-on preview, instead of being introduced to the game via a solo story arc, Spider-Man is just suddenly there, doing his spider thing. Instead of a series of narrative missions, Peter Parker’s story unfolds through a series of audio logs, along with some illustrated cutscenes unlocked as players complete character-specific challenges, latterly added to existing Avenger’s multiplayer missions.

According to gameplay director Philippe Therien, speaking to IGN, Crystal Dynamics decided against creating Spidey story missions in order to focus on the new raid event that releases across all platforms alongside Spider-Man on November 30. “We want to spend our efforts on content that everyone can enjoy, so we chose to spend a lot of our energy on the Klaw raid that’s coming up at the same time.”

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

They were in a no-win situation with the Spidey deal. Either they made him like all of the other DLC, and users on other platforms would be pissed, or do what they did and just make it a character with no story missions at all and have the Playstation users be upset that they're only getting a character and nothing else. In reality, it's good that they did it this way and focused on stuff like gear rework, cosmetic vendors, the raid, etc. But either way, people were going to complain.

But the character movement looks jank as fuck, and his default outfit is way too cartoony in comparison to everyone else.

I know Sony probably wanted this, but in an ideal world, I would have focused on releasing She-Hulk and all of the other datamined characters before ever bringing Spidey to this game.

Honestly - Spidey doesn't look that bad, from the footage they showed in this video. But I'll reserve judgement until tomorrow. I'm sure it's not on the level of Insomniac, but as long as he's fun to play as, like Kate Bishop and Black Panther, then I'll consider it a successful DLC character. I will deduct points if there is no Ben Reilly outfit, though. And not the Scarlet Spider, damnit!

Like the Omega Level Threat event, I'll probably try the Raid out once, and hate it, and never touch it again.

I do like that I can upgrade a lower-tier gear item all the way up to level 175 now. I've definitely had gear pieces I really liked that wouldn't hit the level cap, so (for Ms. Marvel) I just kept them and locked it away. So this is good news.

And loot boxes have made their way to this game, but they show you the contents of each one, and the only way you can buy them are with the earnable in-game currency - not the currency that you buy with real-world money. So, that's a plus. And the cosmetic vendors are back online in the world hubs, finally.

3 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Hey, can somebody give me a quick opinion of how this game is, single player?  I'm about to get back into GamePass and I see this is on it.  Is it a waste of time or decent?  Thanks, bros.

I need to get back into it, but the single player campaign I've played so far is not bad. You can see the criticisms, but the story is decent enough for what it is. 

• Thanks 1

so Spider-Man doesn’t play like complete shit, I’m pleasantly surprised, but to the surprise of no one: his outfits are… maybe 4 of them are from the comics, the rest are the type of stupid shit some 15 year olds would buy or something. Horrible recolors, etc.

I haven’t tried the Raid yet, but I finally got the power level 150 trophy thanks to their gear rework system. Only took over a fucking year.

• Like 2

On 12/1/2021 at 1:04 PM, Casey said:

so Spider-Man doesn’t play like complete shit, I’m pleasantly surprised, but to the surprise of no one: his outfits are… maybe 4 of them are from the comics, the rest are the type of stupid shit some 15 year olds would buy or something. Horrible recolors, etc.

I haven’t tried the Raid yet, but I finally got the power level 150 trophy thanks to their gear rework system. Only took over a fucking year.

Nearly all of them look terrible. Not surprised though having seen the costumes for the other Avengers. Instead of recolours I'd rather have exact suits as seen in the comics and movies.

Watched this video a few days ago:

Spider-Man sounds like Ryan Reynolds as Wade Wilson/Deadpool. Seriously.

Spidey's too big.

Edited by The Natural