DVDVR Message Board

NXT Takeover XXX (August 22, 2020)

ChesterCopperpot

For such a big show you'd think there'd be more than 4 matches announced.   Oh well, the card: 

FOR THE NXT CHAMPIONSHIP - Keith Lee (c) vs. Karrion Kross

FOR THE NXT WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP -  Io Shirai (c) vs. Dakota Kai

LADDER MATCH FOR THE VACANT NXT NORTH AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIP - Bronson Reed vs. Damian Priest vs. Cameron Grimes vs. Johnny Gargano vs. Velveteen Dream

FOR THE #1 CONTENDERSHIP FOR THE NXT TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - Breezango vs. Legado del Fantasma vs. One/Two

Adam Cole vs. Pat McAfee

Finn Bálor vs. Timothy Thatcher

Oh wait, for whatever reason it just now registered with me that they're back to airing Takeover on Saturday. Is that just for Takeover 30 or are they reverting back to Saturdays going forward?

48 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

Probably depends on if their is a WWE PPV that weekend as well. 

I thought they de-coupled WWE PPVs and Takeovers being on the same weekend.

Oh shit, nevermind, Summerslam is this week as well, isn't it? I'll pass on that one.

Feels like there have been worse Takeover cards, but I'm not super excited for this one.

Io/Kai is the only match I'm excited about.

Thatcher/Balor & the triple threat tag should be good, but they are coming in late and semi-randomly.

Not sure how Lee/Kross will end up. Its a match that just feels  like its happening 4-6 months too early.

Pat/Cole is just not something I'm remotely interested in. I feel like UE should have left NXT already, and I have no interest in seeing McAffee wrestle.

Dream killed all my interest in the North American Title match.

Honestly, Summerslam has a lot more of my interest for the women's matches.

Edited by Eivion
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Feels like there have been worse Takeover cards, but I'm not super excited for this one.

Io/Kai is the only match I'm excited about.

Thatcher/Balor & the triple threat tag should be good, but they are coming in late and semi-randomly.

Not sure how Lee/Kross will end up. Its a match that just feels  like its happening 4-6 months too early.

Pat/Cole is just not something I'm remotely interested in. I feel like UE should have left NXT already, and I have no interest in seeing McAffee wrestle.

Dream killed all my interest in the North American Title match.

Honestly, Summerslam has a lot more of my interest for the women's matches.

I'll echo all of this. Only interested in Io/Kai and Balor/Thatcher. Not watching anything Velveteen Dream. I'm looking forward more to SummerSlam than this TakeOver.

On 8/20/2020 at 11:28 AM, The Natural said:

This.

Got to say I find this an underwhelming card for a NXT TakeOver and more so the XXX milestone.

I haven’t really watched a full Takeover in a few years, but for a while, they had a string of underwhelming cards on paper that really delivered.

The final avalanche Saito really didn't look like all that much in the big scheme of things, but they didn't want Keith Lee getting choked out for whatever reason. I don't think a match with Keith Lee played to his strengths, but to me he's still got a lot to prove - I think there's a risk the shine comes off him pretty quick, if it isn't already. If Lee is off to the main roster, then Balor is presumably the next serious feud - the roster really isn't very deep at this point. 

I thought the show was pretty solid, but that may be because I've been pretty meh on NXT for a while and didn't have very high expectations. That and Mauro wasn't calling it.

Balor isn't a favorite of mine but he and Thatcher had a solid outing. I hope this leads to Thatcher getting more high profile work as he definitely looked the best out of both here.

The ladder match was an entertaining clusterfuck which was about as expected. For a minute I thought Gargano was going to win, which would have been a bad move, but Priest going over is fine by me.

McAfee/Cole wasn't exactly LT/Bigelow but it overdelivered nontheless. While the match went longer than it needed to, I was impressed at what a decent job McAfee did.

The women's title match tread on the forced epic formula but was still good.

I like Killer Kross ok but he's been pretty lukewarm since his debut. The lack of crowds and dumb-by-even-NXT-standards name may have something to do with that, but I haven't gotten that into him. Keith Lee on the other hand has been aces since his debut and was incredibly over as champ. Dropping the title was a bad move here, unless he's getting called up.

Started an hour late. 

Saw Thatcher/Balor. Thought it was good stuff as I expected though I kind of wish Thatcher won.

Skipped the NA Title match and Cole/McAffee.

Io/Kai was quite good as expected though still feels like it could have been something even more.

Lee/Kross did little for me outside of the first few minutes. Kross was just not interesting on offense considering how much of it he took up, and this one went kind of long in general compared to Kross's previous matches. Not surprised Lee lost, but it feels like bs. I don't think Kross has anywhere near the momentum they think he does as top heel on NXT, and Lee had only just started his reign. This is why I felt this match happening way too soon.

Looks like the triple threat tag was on the pre-show so I missed that. 

This was not a good show for me even liking two of the three match I watched as much as I did.

24 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

From what i understand, McAfee is/was trained by Rip Rogers even before this angle began..

Granted this was ages ago but McAfee already had a wrestling match in his career.  He wrestled for IWA East Coast in 2009 against some character called Warpig.   Maybe "wrestled" is a loose term but he wasn't a "2 weeks experience" guy