DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 31: Lewis vs. Oleinik (8/8/2020) - Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Elsalvajeloco

Definitely didn't see Darren Stewart by submission. He got stood up by a straight right hand early on. However, he showed nice veteran composure and then eventually snatched a wicked looking high angle guillotine. 

Weidman is gonna win this one, but boy, I don't know if he has anything left to compete with the best in the division. Akhmedov is a decent fighter, but you shouldn't be going life and death with him. 

Looking at the numbers (using Sherdog scorecards cause they're the easiest to find), Chris Weidman's 1-4 MW streak (not the 1-5 run counting the Reyes wipeout at LHW) was a really weird one. Weidman  unanimously won Round 1 again Rockhold, Romero, Mousasi and Jacare, yet his Round 1 vs. Gastelum was a swing round - Sherdog was two 10-9  Weidman / one 10-9 Gastelum and the official UFC scorecards were two 10-9 Gastelum / one 10-9 Weidman.

I might be lead to believe that Chris winning Round One, losing Round Two, and coming back in Round Three was the best case scenario for him. Anything to help him psychologically as I think he's maybe the best (head)case for an elite fighter who's problems lie in something other than technique and athleticism. It's hard to tell if it's cardio management, strategy, or psychology but I'm happy to see the guy get over this particular hump.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Can't tap to a scarf hold if you don't know how it works. Fuck jiu-jitsu, just stand up. Punch head hard. Derrick Lewis, current MMA Folk Hero-weight Champion.

What makes it better though

Can we sign this man to a lifetime UFC contract?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Can't tap to a scarf hold if you don't know how it works. Fuck jiu-jitsu, just stand up. Punch head hard. Derrick Lewis, current MMA Folk Hero-weight Champion.

Scarf hold? You mean the Brittish Bulldog? Derrick Lewis is a national treasure.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Derrick Lewis strategy: Do stuff. Doesn't matter if it makes sense or not...just do stuff.

Foolproof plan, baby.

Based on the interview afterward he really needs a "do stuff and then take a shit" shirt for merchandise 

• Like 1

Beneil Dariush is the Dean Malenko of MMA. So cool.

Kevin Holland has five losses and I'm still thinking we're looking at somebody who could be a pretty big deal between his ability (those straight right knockdowns were beautiful) and trash talking. One of the losses is against Maretta. That was a cruel match-up for Holland, holy shit.

This fight card has ruuuuuled. I never want crowds again. The fights since returning have been non-stop greatness. Everybody is venting their frustration.

• Like 1

I think the short notice match against Marreta actually benefited Holland because he isn't going to be matched up that tough too many times especially early in his UFC run. He was going to get ran over. He got ran over, and eventually lived to tell about it.

Moreover, the Joaquin Buckley fight shows that all prospects aren't created equally. When they were showing Buckley's highlights from LFA, I kinda had a feeling that it might be a rough night at the office for him. You would think after Oluwale Bamgbose's rocky UFC tenure that fighters at middleweight would figure out that the short guy for the division getting inside on his opponent and throwing wildly doesn't really work. It won't work unless you have ungodly power. You got it to work in LFA. Good. The problem is you're now fighting someone who's not going to be thrown for a loop by that. If you can't stun a guy and make him respect you immediately, it's basically ineffective pressure. You're going to run right into his power. Guess what happened? Buckley got hit with a right hand that couldn't have been thrown any better and got his mouthpiece ripped away upon impact. Just like Holland used the Marreta loss as a learning experience, Buckley has got to use this as a learning experience. You have to make that adjustment now. Not all opposition you'll face deserves to be in the UFC, but a good number of them can easily figure out your playbook.

• jaedmc unpinned this topic