DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 8/5/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Where there's a will, there's a way. How many times has the above been said? hahaha

AEW isn't perfect. They've had some booking boners, questionable hirings/signs of nepotism and cronyism, their women's division is still kind of a mess for the most part while they try to develop their own stars for the most part, etc. But it's so nice not to have to worry about the company undermining people from getting over or getting over in certain ways. There is none of the promotion vs. the fans conflict here. I seriously feel like that baggage in WWE is harmful to one's well being. Wrestling is supposed to be a light form of entertainment, one of the few remaining physical forms of pure entertainment. I don't need to have a fucking panic attack watching it because the person running the show loathes me.

edit: also, tbf, Nakamura was pretty much in coast mode in WWE after the Zayn debut match. He still could've been a big star for them but it was pretty clear we weren't going to see the Old Nakamura. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Back to tonight's show... Darby losing another big match feels kind of poorly timed, no? 

Not if you ask Priscilla Kelly. But I was thinking the same, and then I wondered if they'd actually pull the trigger on making him champ and what that would look like. I presume interference plays into the finish and if I were Ricky Starks I'd ruin his title shot too. His back looks effed.

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

Shinsuke's first theme song in NXT is the best modern wrestling theme song by a mile.

Exactly. It also brings up a question: for wrestlers partly beholden to Japanese wrestling, why not Japanese wrestling theme-sounding themes for them? Shit, I'd be running to get someone to rip off "Welcome to the Darkside" for me if Tony was paying for it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jiji said:

I seriously feel like that baggage in WWE is harmful to one's well being.
*snip*
I don't need to have a fucking panic attack

Amen regarding taking care of your mental well-being with your choice of entertainment, especially in 2020. Leave the hate-watching and neurotic second-guessing, love loving stuff you do love. Sorry off-topic, will give my thoughts when I have a chance to watch.

• Like 2

The twelve man tag was way, way better than the 10 man last week. Very entertaining and also did a nice job advancing the FTR/Hangman storyline.

I want to believe the "Earlier today" segment with Trent's Mom's Van where they mention it is bright outside was made solely to take a subtle shot at the "earlier today" thing on RAW being dark outside. I want believe it so it must be true.

Moxley again giving me some Cactus Jack vibes with an "I'm a dangerous man who might have to hurt people" promo. Good.

Santana/Ortiz vs. Best Friends was probably the best Santana/Ortiz match since I started watching this company, to be honest. Hooray small sample sizes!

This MJF stuff is whatever for me. Maybe it's because I'm not an American but the last thing I need in my day right now is more US political themed stuff. 

That Sammy/Matt Hardy table spot looked really badass. Also BLOOD SUCKING FREAKS thread alert! Jesus Christ, Matt.

WHAT DID TRENT'S MOM'S VAN DO TO DESERVE THIS!?!?!

I genuinely don't know who Matt Cardona is or why I'm supposed to care he showed up last week, sorry.

The stream I use for this show when it gets relegated to tier two cable on TNS2 was pretty fucked on the back half so I don't want to say too much about any of the second hour as I just missed too much of it to have anything useful to add, except to say Orange Cassidy only speaking up to finally talk about rising sea levels is pretty fucking amazing.

From what I caught this seemed like a return to form after a pretty off week, even if they rolled out Eric fucking Bischoff for reasons I cannot begin to fathom.

• Like 3

Really good show. Great pace and frenetic energy to it. Really happy to see them abandoning a lot of the buffoonery from winter/springtime episodes with Santana/Ortiz + Matt Hardy all adopting more serious personas. Hope it keeps up. Great roster of characters - they deserve to do well.

Cardona has the same reek of jobber that Spears has. Silver and Reynolds looked really good in this match though.

I thought the 12 man had its moments but there was way too much "everyone lays on the floor while a few people get their shit in" that the WWE multiman matches have.

The Cassidy/Jericho promo was fantastic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I still don't care about the matches and love the ga-ga more than anything with this promotion. A vicious brawl where half of a Hardy's head turns red. An SUV (minivan?) gets beat to death with sledgehammers. Eric Bischoff shows up and Orange Cassidy speaks?! Then the main where we get HARDWAY and the match actually fuckin rules. That was a blast. 

Now watch next week be another off episode ?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SturmCRF said:

Cardona's music is terrible, but I still sort of like it? Abysmal 2001 nu metal is still better than a lot of current WWE themes, cos it's more wrestlery. Too many WWE top and mid card guys have instrumental tunes, which is fine when they're Mr Perfect level great, but how often is that the case? It used to be the case that when your entrance music got lyrics, it meant you'd evolved into a main eventer, now their two main champions have generic instrumentals. So AEW is clearing a very low bar by getting themselves a shitty wrestler metal house band, but I'll take it.

The answer for AEW's entrance problems to is to have The Butcher's band, Every Time I Die do their entrance themes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

First week watching AEW was somewhat ruined by me writing stuff up and forgetting about it until about an hour in. Whoopsiedasie.

The main was really fun with some crazy bumps, but the botched top rope German suplex kinda blew it for me. Allin took it like he was setting up a playing possum spot, and he wasn't playing possum. That's not great. They needed to re-plan with a Mox Lariat or something to set up the interference, imo.