DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 8/5/2020

Dolfan in NYC

1 minute ago, For Great Justice said:

I was thinking about what defines a star in wrestling, and man there’s been a lot of chatter about “jobber stink” or “TNA stink” or whatever with some of the guys AEW has signed, yet there’s absolutely zero of that with Jericho and Moxley.

It helps that they, along with a few others in AEW, called their own shot rather than be cast aside elsewhere. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

Me week 1 watching this company "Who the fuck is this nerd? I don't understand this at all."

Without this board I'd probably still be ignorant as to what the gimmick is, unless I did a Google search. 

That said, can you imagine the pops he would have got in the past couple weeks with a crowd? You don't really have to "get" it now.

Edited by Curt McGirt

2 hours ago, EVA said:

Too bad they’re about to get pre-empted a bunch now that they’re building momentum again.

Well, on the one hand, they won't be on on their usual day. But on the other hand, when the show does air it won't be going head to head with any other Wrestling. So possibly both AEW and NXT will crack a million on those weeks.

• Like 1

Orange Cassidy inspired me to buy my first wrestling shirt in a decade a few weeks ago. I rarely get to watch Dynamite in full but I always track his segments down. Moxley and Jericho sold me on giving AEW a chance but I'm digging more and more of the other guys the more I see them. The lack of crowds still takes me out of it but they've been doing a decent job with that as well. 

• Like 2

Jericho is a really unique guy at walking the line between comedic stuff while also getting over angles in a serious way. It really started back with "The Man of 1004 Holds" segment in WCW as far as I can remember, but his best of on that front is something else. The latest chapter being completely furious and dead serious that he's going to make Cassidy pay for ruining his $7000 jacket.

• Like 7

I need to see him sell a loss to Orange Cassidy. Maybe they can run the Kevin Sullivan idea WCW never bothered with. The original plan was for Hogan to be obsessed with the Sting loss at Starrcade, continually rewatching it in a dark room on tape over and over again, creeping out Hall & Nash. Would love to see Jericho pull that off with Sammy and Hager being concerned for their leader. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I feel like last night was a reset on the Hardy/PP interaction. I guess they could do that but I really don't feel like that storyline needs it. That whole brawl was so well done. I can't get over Sammy's no hands, corkscrew, fuck you 450 shoulder and head whip into breadbasket/dick. 

Kassidy's girlish shrieks would certainly be more fitting for a heel.

2 hours ago, StevieNippz said:

Orange Cassidy inspired me to buy my first wrestling shirt in a decade a few weeks ago. I rarely get to watch Dynamite in full but I always track his segments down. Moxley and Jericho sold me on giving AEW a chance but I'm digging more and more of the other guys the more I see them. The lack of crowds still takes me out of it but they've been doing a decent job with that as well. 

Between StevieNippz and Shartnado, this has been an excellent week for random usernames on this board.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

Tapla has done it again.

It basically took AEW five months to get back to their pre-pandemic shutdown viewership levels. I wonder what they'd be doing if the whole world wasn't in shutdown right now.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The way so many underestimated Orange Cassidy might be a good reminder when any one of us jumps to a weekly knee jerk dissenting opinion (ex wwe guys automatically being labelled jobber stink cast offs, etc).  Even the best things take time to mature.  

I heard about Cassidy leading into the inaugural ppv, checked him out on YouTube and thought this guy is really unique and interesting.  I’m not a comedy guy, but when you play for serious and not laughs while generating laughs you aren’t breaking any cardinal rules in my book.  Or, as mentioned, Jericho’s well crafted play book.  I never saw any reason with him to have to further suspend my disbelief which is always a problem (eg. Something like the ridiculous dick flip). OC’s been beautifully booked all along.  

That, okay I like him but they can’t book him every week or it’ll get stale argument seems to have vanished as well. 

So happy for Cassidy.  What an Incredible talent.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 6

* Last week I was all, how wasteful is a Sammy Guevara vs Matt Hardy feud, and how little excitement anyone could have for it. Well, COLOUR ME STUPID because this week they made me care, and it took both men pulling out all the stops, including a savage colour job from Matthew. Maybe I should listen to Briley sometimes?

* Still no Excalibur and although the commentary wasn't bad, there's absolutely no way that Tony "I haven't watched wrestling for a while and I'm just happy to see such fun" Schiavone should be leading a commentary team in 2020. JR kinda disappeared for a while, and given how good Tony & Taz were as a duo on Dark, it might not be the worst thing. Hopefully Excalibur will be back next week, though.

* That opening TWELVE man, and the important milestone that is the first victory for NINE. Furthering the storylines for a whole bunch of shit, it was a hot opener that didn't even waste time on ring announcements, and played to the strengths of everyone involved, including the aforementioned Nine. Interestingly, Brodie Lee has 6, 7 & 8 crossed out on his tights so sucks to be those guys. The Dark Order are a highlight of stuff lately, and their BTE skits are awesome. Who knew, eh?

* Matt Cardona is *fine* but he's also incredibly unnecessary, taking time away not only from other people who could fill his spot who are already on the roster, but also leaving us with no open challenge. I mean, I get it, and part of me really likes that they remember who their pals are, but sometimes it's just not needed.

* Jon Moxley's run as champion has been a bit odd because of the whole virus thing, and there have been as many misses as hits, but this week was a great example of someone on the top of his game, with an A+ promo and a great main-event with Darby Allin, who actually looked like he was killing himself at times. As much as I love Mox, though, it's time to pull the trigger on MJeff, surely?

* Sue's car got fucked up BAD.

* The debate was SWEET, and I'm still pinching myself that Orange Cassidy is having a top line run with a TV promotion and loving every minute of it. Jericho has done nothing but make stars from day one in AEW and it's massively refreshing to see an "old timer" do that. OC HAS to win next week, yeah?

* No Underground. Boooo.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Linus said:

* Matt Cardona is *fine* but he's also incredibly unnecessary, taking time away not only from other people who could fill his spot who are already on the roster, but also leaving us with no open challenge. I mean, I get it, and part of me really likes that they remember who their pals are, but sometimes it's just not needed.

I’ve never seen Zack Ryder, but Matt Cardona seems worthy of a shot at getting over.  Why not?  Is the argument still over his WWE run?  That seems like the wrestler equivalent of slut shaming.  

• Like 3

Cardona showed absolutely nothing.  Same ol' WWE B-show filler Zack Ryder.  Beaver Boys looked real good though.  I think that's the first time I've seen them since they became DO-boys.  With the mask, Silver looks like Reynolds' mini.  He also looks like one of those Remco-style figures Cardona sells.  Maybe he needs some long tights.

Could live without the lame political segments.  The MJF stuff feels like a warmed over EC3 gimmick from a few years ago.  Also, why is Lee Johnson seemingly reluctantly working for MJF?

Was Guevara covered in blood when he came out before the debate?  Should've aired the Hardy thing after the debate to cover for why Guevara was under the ring since he just disappears out of the commercial break.  Skeeavone no-selling Taz when he was trying to feed him comparing the Hardy/Guevara situation being the same as Taz/Allin.  Matt Hardy deserved that ass-whipping.

I think Sue stole that van.  No plates.  Also, that camera in the backseat.

Main was good.  I liked Allin mocking Mox by wearing the mask from when Moxley could still grow bangs.