DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 8/5/2020

Dolfan in NYC

We should talk more about how well shot and directed Dynamite is. No shaky cam, no rapid cuts, just shoot the action so we can see what they're doing and how they're doing it. But considering the rival promotion is supposed to be the one that's all about moments, AEW does a far better job at capturing them. Think of the "Sammy chased by Golf Cart" shot. They did it twice, identically, and it looked incredible both times. But render the same thing in Dunn-o-vision and you'd start thinking they'd faked it in the edit and he never even got hit for realsies.

• Like 8

Well that was all lovely. Loved how things wove together and just flowed: dark order winning the 12 man led the Braver boys to think it was their night; the set up of Sue's minivan to the match to the vandalism and then the revenge promo (also ties into Best Friends saving OC); Mox promo to MJF promo to MJF interference. Just simple effective stuff. 

I feared the debate but it was a delight. My intelligence never once felt insulted. 

Great night for wild bumps - Stu Grayson and Darby both with some serious air time tonight. 

• Like 3

Which one of Vince's failed sitcom writers is responsible for these MJF segments? 

Taz amuses me. His argument that not every cover requires a leg hook was tasty stuff. Sit there and take it, Jim!

Cardona is a whatever for me. The main event and opener were really good. I most enjoyed everything Hangman did after returning to the match (especially calling out Brodie), and Darby eating the post.

Looking forward to Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus getting some revenge for Marko next week. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, hammerva said:

I mean Orange Cassidy has to win next week right?     No matter how great he is if it looks like he is just going to be one of those entertaining mid carders to fill out a card for the WWE and TNA guys the fans will lose interest

Unfortunately I don't see Jericho willing to lose unless it is one of those WCW Scott Hall tons of interference ways.  Which does nothing for AEW

I have no doubt in Jericho 'doing what's right for business'.  Unless they're attempting a Dreamer-Raven sorta situation Cassidy is scoring the big victory.  A victory that leads to some sort of gimmicked rubber match at All Out.  This feud has legs and Jericho knows it better than anybody. 

• Like 6

Announced for next week so far:

1. Chris Jericho vs. Orange Cassidy ($7000 obligation)
  2. Cody vs. Scorpio Sky (TNT Title)
  3. Hangman & Omega vs. Jurassic Express (non-title I believe)
  4. Uno & Grayson vs. Young Bucks
  5. Tag team appreciation night stuff with R&R and Arn & Tully. FTR will be insufferable.

Looks good. Hopefully I don't have live Downstait in my head by the time Cody wrestles next week.

• Like 1

I'm guessing OC wins and we get the rubber match with some kind of a stip or gimmick, maybe even with the return of the Painmaker, at All Out.

I thought Cardona looked good, but I always thought he looked more than capable in WWE. If they had a live crowd, I have no doubt he would have received a great reaction. I just don't think he did much to stand out. I know some people thought Cardona had the stink of WWE jobber or whatever on him, but what's worse is that I think he has the stink of a WWE wrestler on him. He just works a vanilla WWE style that isn't bad, but isn't going to stand out, and it's just there. This is a dude that is nearly a hoss for how big he is and he should be watching a fuck ton of Razor Ramon tapes to see how to wrestle like a guy that is big, but isn't as big as a giant. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

This was the first time I've seen Bischoff in a long time. I've heard him a bunch of podcasts, but it's been awhile since I've seen him. He just looked so old and the way his hands were shaking reminded me of my mom. Not to say he has Parkinsons or Parkinsonism, but it's just that trembling that some older folks get. 

For a dude in his mid 60s who was starting to look old in 1999 because his job was starting to get to him, he looks completely fine to me.

• Like 4

Whoa, strange that they've done their best number in forever now that there are sports on again. Great to see so many people watching wrestling. Hopefully they can break that million number. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EVA said:

Too bad they’re about to get pre-empted a bunch now that they’re building momentum again.

Isn’t one a back-to-back two days in a row airing? Even still I think they’ve created quite a following.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I like this talk of Cardona studying the tapes of 'Big' Scott Hall.  First and foremost he oughtta leave that silly leg finisher back where it came from.  He needs something powerful and effective.  I thought he looked good doing what he needed to do this week.  It seems a bit early to be saddling him as 'WWE vanilla style'.  Yeah, he'll need to adapt his game, but I think he deserves a bit of time, no?  

I haven't seen a lot of talk about the interaction in this tag match between partners Cody and Cardona.  It seemed to me that Cody was looking at him like he was stealing his spotlight.  I even wondered if we were gonna get a turn right then and there.  As a side, I'm not on the  'jeers for Cody' train.  He's been on an excellent run and I've been digging his stuff every week.  I'm particularly looking foward to next week against Scorpio Sky.  Curious how this one plays out.  Does a loss perhaps drive one of these combatants to the darkside?  Something's going down.  I can't see them jobbing Sky back to Dark.  Tho, he really could've used a solid victory on the flagship show going in.  

Stoked to see they're starting to build some good ratings.  Consistency is proving to benefit that number.  Here's hoping, even with pre-emptions, for 1 million by month's end.     

Just now, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Isn’t one a back-to-back. Even still I think they’ve created quite a following.

Plus, it was gonna happen anyway. Short of the NBA season being cancelled, Dynamite was going to be pre-empted. The bright side is if the NBA numbers go up during the playoffs, they should get a good rub going forward.

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

Whoa, strange that they've done their best number in forever now that there are sports on again. Great to see so many people watching wrestling. Hopefully they can break that million number. 

There was a post recently to the effect of “casual fans don’t exist”. Well we know that at its height millions and millions would tune in to wrestling on a given night. That suggests an innate human interest in the theme. So then you need to make sure the quality of programming piques that curiosity. A C-list detective movie may generate 10% the takings of an A-list one; it doesn’t mean people don’t care for detective movies any more, just that they are wise to what is actually good and will only tune in to the good stuff. If AEW gets the momentum swinging they will start cracking those million+ views. It’s inevitable. There has been so, so much crap put on TV in the guise of “wrestling” through the past decade that people forgot once upon a time people loved the themes, narrative and product.  They can be taken there again. This time a 74 year old McMahon may not be the one to do it.

RE: Jericho - is there anyone you could possibly want more to be involved in a start up business like this? The guy just seems so grounded and sensible - like he will really do what is good for the company. Polar opposite to some of the frankly unstable characters of years past.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

For a dude in his mid 60s who was starting to look old in 1999 because his job was starting to get to him, he looks completely fine to me.

Ditto. I mean he was literally grey 20 years ago. He looked like he aged 15 years between ‘97-‘00. Think he looks pretty healthy right now.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Craig H said:

I'm officially buying all of the stock for Orange Cassidy. I can't believe he's gone from someone I didn't want AEW to sign to someone that I think could be the next big thing in wrestling.

Me week 1 watching this company "Who the fuck is this nerd? I don't understand this at all."

Me now: "I want Jericho and Cassidy to wrestle a 2 out of 3 falls match please."

• Like 6

I was thinking about what defines a star in wrestling, and man there’s been a lot of chatter about “jobber stink” or “TNA stink” or whatever with some of the guys AEW has signed, yet there’s absolutely zero of that with Jericho and Moxley.

If anything, this run has opened my eyes to Jericho even more as to just how fucking good he is and he’s entered a higher tranche of all top great. Mox has cemented his place as a tippy tippy guy with an incredibly unique aura and style.

Both have been just massive home runs.

• Like 2