DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 8/5/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Just announced Big Swole vs an opponent of Britt Baker's choosing. Which Nyla responded to on twitter. It was funny 

That theme really makes me miss "Oh, Radio"  Man did I love that a ton and it fit his character at the time so damn well.

But hearing a snippet of this new one is further proof that maybe wrestlers shouldn't be enlisting Downstait for themes ever again.

• Like 2

I still like Cody's (recorded. not live. never live.) because it fits his pseudo-HHH act really well. The All In theme song was so bad it was good. Still, AEW's music in general leaves something to be desired. They have some good ditties but mostly bad to terrible.

• Like 3

I like Cody's theme by Downstait and a couple other ones done by Downstait, but this one fucking SUCKS. The chorus is fucking awful. Look, if you can't hit high notes like that, don't try! Go an octave lower or something. I also don't think the music fits Cardona's personality well at all.

My god. That chorus. It's one of the worst I've heard. Fucking auto tune yourself or something.

In fact, it's Cardona. Why isn't his theme music like some auto tuned GTA Vice City shit?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My god. It's fucking awful. I think that might be my least favorite music in AEW. I'm also not a fan of Orange Cassidy's entrance music.

I honestly always envisioned Cardona/Ryder as a Sting-esque kinda guy and thought he should have some music like that. Like, take Sting's original music, the fucking awesome one, and do a take on that or something.

3 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I like this theme but most current wrestling themes in general are whatever.

I like this one too. If I were to rattle off a list of the good ones in AEW, it'd probably be:

• Cody
  • Kenny
  • Hangman
  • The Young Bucks
  • Darby
  • Archer
  • Butcher and the Blade
  • Private Party's original theme (I might be the only one who liked it)
  • Lucha Bros
  • MJF
  • Best Friends
  • Moxley
  • PAC (Man do I miss this guy)
  • Cage

Those are just what I can think of. I mean, that's a decent amount of inoffensive theme songs with some of them being really good. I do agree that most theme songs are pretty whatever, but some are legit bangers. Io's might be my favorite for the American promotions, Okada's is probably my favorite theme song overall, and some of the top AEW guys have really good ones. AEW also has a lot of shitty, generic WCW themes, but it's whatever they can get on a budget so I get it. 

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

What, no Fozzy? 

?

Oh yeah, I like Judas.

I also wasn't just limiting music to AEW original music, I was just listing off the ones I liked the most.

Cardona's music is terrible, but I still sort of like it? Abysmal 2001 nu metal is still better than a lot of current WWE themes, cos it's more wrestlery. Too many WWE top and mid card guys have instrumental tunes, which is fine when they're Mr Perfect level great, but how often is that the case? It used to be the case that when your entrance music got lyrics, it meant you'd evolved into a main eventer, now their two main champions have generic instrumentals. So AEW is clearing a very low bar by getting themselves a shitty wrestler metal house band, but I'll take it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SturmCRF said:

Cardona's music is terrible, but I still sort of like it? Abysmal 2001 nu metal is still better than a lot of current WWE themes, cos it's more wrestlery. 

Yes and no. Some of our fondness for that music is because it clearly evokes feelings about a different time and place. For many acts in contemporary wrestling, it'd be well out of place. For what Cardona has been presented as in the past and what we know of him outside of the ring, I'm not sure leaning in that direction and baking the brass ring promo into that music is the way to go. But maybe he's looking at an image change and feels strongly about it. Who am I to say?

Just for shits and giggles, let's all enjoy Downstait making his old WWE theme worse:

Edited by Andy in Kansas