DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Tales From the Underground - 8/3/2020

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, D.Z said:

I think WWE should try more experimenting again and see what sticks. Factions wars, maybe hotshot belts, bikini matches, more gimmicks etc. If none of that stuff works, then put them in the doesn't work files in their heads and scrap that stuff.

Mysteries, Surprises, Meaningful Stakes, Build and Payoff. Week to week progression.  

I think there are some innate problems without a crowd to react to all of that though. What's the point of getting heat right now if there's no one to boo? Can a surprise hit if there's no one there to be surprised? 

12 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I think there are some innate problems without a crowd to react to all of that though. What's the point of getting heat right now if there's no one to boo? Can a surprise hit if there's no one there to be surprised? 

I'd guess USA has talked with WWE about doing something to bring up the ratings, especially Hour 3. Try to surprise the home audience, get them talking enough to bring in other viewers. Will it work?  Probably not, but I can see the purpose behind it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Can a surprise hit if there's no one there to be surprised? 

Not in the way it might traditionally work in a professional wrestling setting. But there's a long history of scripted programming not set in front of a live crowd putting off surprises that resonate with their audience. They'd just need to find a different way of gauging how their audience largely responds. And there are a lot of such avenues available to WWE, especially in the age of social media.